Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service the best/reliable for windshield replacements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots and lots of glass up there and I knew this would happen sooner or later.

Is it best to make an appointment for replacement directly with Tesla? What’s typical costs for replacement with or without insurance getting involved?

B668A90C-4AFE-41AB-A1BE-9C21B42A7CF6.jpeg

Tesla outsources the labor for windshield installs at most SCs (though obviously it’s their glass). It takes two guys to install the windshield so there is more labor than a typical windshield replacement.

I can’t account for recent inflation, but it was about $1,100 two years ago.

Reactions: buckets0fun
The local Tesla repair center in San Diego informed me they use a 3rd party to replace glass. In this case Heckman Glass. I contacted Heckman Glass directly and they coordinated with my Insurance Company (I have Glass Coverage so my deductible was minimal). Heckman Glass came to my home and replaced the windshield on my wife's Model 3 (Twice now) Following the replacement I took our Model 3 to the Tesla Service Center to have the forward camera recalibrated. Tesla did not charge me both times. I have only recently discovered a small chip with what looks to be a very small "spider" starting to form. I'll keep an eye on that before I decide what to do....at this point it should be able to be repaired under my Glass Coverage for a zero deductible. (I'm concerned my Insurance Carrier may decide to rescind the glass coverage at the next renewal!)

Lots and lots of glass up there and I knew this would happen sooner or later.

Is it best to make an appointment for replacement directly with Tesla? What’s typical costs for replacement with or without insurance getting involved?
In Feb-2021, I paid 1555.27 for Tesla to replace. Safelite would have taken longer, because they had to go over to Tesla Service Center to pick up the glass. YMMV…..

That just looks like a rock chip, and not directly in your line of sight. Let Safelight fill it with epoxy. Yes you will notice it still but sooner or later you won't. And the cost and hassle is tiny compared to replacing the glass.

Been thinking about this option too. I got an incoming call into insurance tomorrow to see what is covered vs my deductible too.

Thanks for all the posts, guys. Seems pretty spendy when all said is done.

Reactions: OldPro
Do they take the camera, mirror and wiring off and reattach it on the new windshield? Just curious since I just wired up a dash cam and taking off the center channel was such a pain. I can’t imagine taking everything else off
The camera is integrated into the windshield. I do not recall the glass company removing the mirror at the time of the windshield replacement. (Windshield replaced twice-SO FAR) Both times at my home while I was observing.