Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only been a couple times, but my service center in Chicago has been terrific. They are responsive and conscientious, call and text me repeatedly.

Not afraid of warranty claims as far as I have seen. No hesitation to replaced my front struts because of a small rattle they diagnosed.

The service center was not busy the last time I was there either. One of the techs told me they weren't taking as many appointments so they could get caught up on things.

I'm experiencing the terrible customer service and I don't even have 10 miles on my Model 3 yet. The car arrived with a back bumper that looks like it was painted in a dirty parking lot and a dinged front rim. Getting the Rockville, MD SC to respond to calls or emails is nearly impossible. Finally, after harassing them all day long and leaving voicemails, emails, calls they EMAILED me back to confirm that they are going to replace the parts. Answer the ****ing phone and provide customer service. I'm a brand new customer with a brand new 60 thousand dollar car! Can you imagine that they're providing this service to someone who owns a 100K Model X or S?

Wow had my worst car service experience ever yesterday on my 13 Model S and found this thread. My experience documentation here

Random steering popping noise after steering motor bolt recall

Tesla basically issued a poorly thought out steering motor recall that loosened the steering rack, caused noises and stiffed me with the bill. All through their new computerized service interface with no interactivity, mostly automated computer replies and zero chance of adjusting for any service scenario (customer schedule, severity and urgency etc). Seems like Silicon Valley wonder kids are now in charge of world wide service and standardizing a computerized experience. Most of the human intelligence distributed at the edge is diminished and no AI from HQ is even close to prime time to solve for a competitive experience the edge.

It's really a shame for Tesla. They now have the following word of mouth marketing : Amazing Cars, Worst Service. They are eliciting 2 very opposite highly emotional charged responses from their customer base. Worst service is a huge drag and simply being over shadowed by the Amazing car until there is a worthy challenger. I think they still have some runway, the German premiums probably can't compete on Model 3 cost within next couple of years even if you ignore Tesla's super charger network advantage. Koreans and Americans trying to enter with utility cars with no luck, and the Japanese are no where in sight.

Really a shame. I realize HQ's effort is to rein in cost which is good for company healthy. But they ignored the good old centralized vs distributed decision making benefits. With something complex such as car service in various locales, reducing SC's ability while requiring them to scale with army of inexperienced newbies along with computerized central system yield our current experience.

My word of mouth to friends now will be : Amazing Cars, Worst Service. Such a shame. I suppose prev gen cars such as Roadster owners all know this already. In my region (Seattle which is a fairly large market for Tesla) All the Roadster owners only take their car to an ex Tesla Tech's shop (which Tesla don't support with parts and tools from HQ policy on independent repair shops). They won't let SC touch their cars.

Last edited:
I crossed my 1 year anniversary as a Tesla Model 3 owner on 9/15/2019

I am very happy with my car (so far problem free) but I do dread the day I have to need service because I live in rural part of South Fort Worth and the nearest service center is near Lovefield Airport in North Dallas.

Reactions: asrose
I had a tire puncture and called the Nashville service center to ask if I could drive it to them for a replacement (I had a temporary patch that same afternoon in a local tire shop). They did not answer the phone (no surprise there), but I was switched to a voicemail which told me they would call right back. Left a message and guess what...never a call back.

I drove (anxiously) to another service center several hours further along on my trip, and stopped in to ask if they would replace the tire. They gladly did so while I waited. Reminded me of service from past years, friendly, efficient, caring. Could not have been better.

I'm believing the people in the SC are as good and professional as they have every been, providing a great experience once you get in. They just are behind a corporate wall that prevents any human interaction or any kind of triage, and sometime ties their hands as to their options (witness the yellow screen problem).

Ah for the good old days of a couple of years ago when you could call and talk to a human to help with your problem.

• Informative
I have had my M3P for 6 months now and I have to agree. Coming from BMW and Audi the service experience is horrible. I have a warp in my windshield that I was first told was going to be replaced under warranty. When I bring it in for the replacement they claim it is an acceptable defect and not in my line of sight. Not to mention all my major issues with my trade in that I am still fighting.

I’m sure many people have had worse issues with other manufacturers than I have with Tesla but I feel like the base level of service is much lower than you’d expect on a $70k car.

Like someone else here said... it makes me more sad than angry. I love the car and the tech but hate the company and the service. I will for sure be leaving Tesla for other options in a couple years because of all the issues. Assuming they stop devaluing my car every couple months by lowering the price...

So, I've had my Model S for just shy of 7 years now and I've seen quite a change in Tesla service. When I first got my car, they where top notch. Over the years however, I've noticed the service level go down, down, down to the point where it's just crap. Today, my onboard chargers suddenly stopped working and the car won't charge on ac. I can still charge at a supercharger, but not at home. I tried calling Tesla service but they want you to schedule using the phone app (does everything nowadays have to be done with a phone app?). The best I could do with the phone app was a mobile visit in a week. I also tried leaving a help email at their website and voice mail message at the local service center (they don't answer the phone), but after 3 hours I still haven't heard any response to either. I used to be very proud of my Tesla and wanted to show it off to everyone. Now I'm not so sure.
7 years, eh. I took delivery of my T3 in April... after only two months of ownership I actively started telling people not to buy tesla. So many quality issues they wouldn't fix. So many defects they won't fix (they keep telling me 'it will be fixed in a future update' (constant rebooting, intermittent USB ports, backup cam not working, etc, etc), but never are).

I recently discovered that they no longer support on-line chat... when did that go away!?! Calling the service line is useless... always long wait queues and if you request a call back, they never do. Like you, I had to schedule an appointment via the app just to ask a question. I used the appointment email to reply and indicate I didn't need an appointment, just needed a question answered. Takes 24 to 48 hours to get replies to service emails.

Every other auto maker has a dealership between you and the maker. Dealerships know they need to keep the customer happy, and they work to do just that. In tesla's case, any time Elon pushes down cost cutting measures on the company, customers are directly impacted. The short sighted view to keeping the market happy ends up being more important than keeping the customer happy. If anything is going to kill tesla, this is it. 2020 and 2021 are the years of EV alternatives; I actively tell anyone who is interested that they should wait and buy from a maker interested in keeping the customer happy.

Reactions: asrose and StarLog
So, I've had my Model S for just shy of 7 years now and I've seen quite a change in Tesla service. When I first got my car, they where top notch. Over the years however, I've noticed the service level go down, down, down to the point where it's just crap. Today, my onboard chargers suddenly stopped working and the car won't charge on ac. I can still charge at a supercharger, but not at home. I tried calling Tesla service but they want you to schedule using the phone app (does everything nowadays have to be done with a phone app?). The best I could do with the phone app was a mobile visit in a week. I also tried leaving a help email at their website and voice mail message at the local service center (they don't answer the phone), but after 3 hours I still haven't heard any response to either. I used to be very proud of my Tesla and wanted to show it off to everyone. Now I'm not so sure.
Does the app also send a loaner Tesla car to you within 2 hours while you wait for repair? You left that part out. Because if not, I'm with you: they are drasted dumbies doing bad and deserve to be called out and this should be said loud and clear!!! If it did send that loaner to you, then you're just complaining excessively and basically a liar for leaving that part out.

For the record, I think it was implicit in what you said and left out that they did not send you a Tesla loaner car within 2 hours via the app, and therefore, if so, Tesla should do better. I agree.

But I look at it from the other side: now that I have this situation (if I'm in that situation, and I have been), I can virtually make my life good by going to rent some nicer car while I wait for repair. I would also log the bad service online with us so we know, but I'd be healthy and happy while doing it.

Last edited:
@Artax Online chat is still there. I was able to change my model 3 order that way a week ago. With that said, this thread is disheartening.

To chat you go here and pick a category: Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

It will provide a few links that will basically put you in a loop back to the support page. The key is to hit the "Need more help" Yes button. Then the chat and email options pop up.
Tesla Chat 1.PNG
Tesla Chat 2.PNG

Reactions: StarLog
The answer to the question:
'Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?' is no, they already achieved that 6 months ago.
My car is out of warranty this month. The dog mode display shows 4 degrees F high, enough to cause a well meaning member of the public to break a window but Tesla refuse to even look at the car and cancelled my appointment made through the app against my express wishes. Of course they never answer the phone or reply to emails. I now want my $1500 AUD 'save a place in the Model 3 queue' refunded, how does one even go about that ? This is sad for Tesla as a company and sad for those that spent more money than they ever would have for any other car. I have come to the conclusion that Musk has zero empathy for customers or employees. The way Tesla just fires people prior to a quarterly report or share holder meeting fits with this, sure get rid of rubbish employees but it goes beyond that. Knowing you could find yourself unemployed at any second won't make folks at the service centers too keen to go the extra mile the way they used to.

Last edited:
Tesla servie offerings have gone mobile, meaning you using their mobile app for more and more with each release. The old ways of calling a service center seems to be going away. While this is not what you expected since the early days of your Model S, this is the new way as their vehicles are now approaching 1 million +. With a fleet that large, they are looking at new ways of providing support (ie, requesting other SC and mobile service through the app, getting tire rotation at home, getting glass replacement at the SC, etc...).

I guess the difference here, is that they are gearing up for the next generation of ownership where using technology to simplify requesting service through their mobile app is becoming more common. While it's not what you would expect, it feel like it's going in that direction more and more. Some are proud to see new ways of improving service, while others see it as a hassle an want the old dealership ways.

I guess it's really in the eye of the beholder.

Note: Leaving emails and if you can leave a VOICEMAIL won't get you a response, however from my experience once you book your appointment through the app, you'll get a text message shortly thereafter, along with a call if they have any details questions for you before your actual service appointment.
Nothing you said solves the problem of being without a car. They should make clear what the loaner car program does while you wait for your appointment, so that you know whether or not you have to go buy or borrow another car in the meanwhile.

I now want my $1500 AUD 'save a place in the Model 3 queue' refunded, how does one even go about that
While doing some chore at home next to a speaker phone, call customer service and have them start the refund process. Be nice and thank them. You get your refund in some few number of months. Don't expect it to be fast.

Yes, ridiculous, but it has always been that way at that company.