Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 12v battery a warranty item under the New Car Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
↑↑↑
By the way - I have a 2017 Model X (purchased in 2017 from Tesla) so that 4 year / 50K mile warranty *no longer applies,* BUT my 8 year / 150K warranty is still very active.

The 8 year warranty only covers the large battery that moves the car, and very little else. In the model 3 subforum, someone is taking tesla to arbitration because on model 3s it does not even cover the PCS that is connected to the HV battery, and people feel it should.

So, yeah, dont expect that 8 year warranty to cover much of anything other than the actual high voltage (hv) battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: shaia8 and focher
12V battery is covered under the basic warranty (4yrs/50k), once it's expired even if you have bought the extended warranty will not cover it. The main HV battery is covered for 8yrs/150k. It's easy to replace, Tesla charges ~200 parts and labor, or parts only for < 100. Only 1 year/12k warranty though.
My MX 12v was replaced free a few years ago under the basic warranty. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car, and the 12v went out a few months ago. It was not covered and yes it was around $200+ to replace it. Although "Easy to replace" is relative. For Model 3, it was easy. Took the guy about 5 min. For Model X, they have 2 people and it took about 25 min. For X, they have to remove a bunch of things in the frunk including the frunk liner and the filters. I have surveillance video with sound on my driveway. One tech was teaching the other and he told her to check the filters and if it is dirty, we clean it out for them as a courtesy. I guess if you are changing the 12V yourself, you might as well change the air filter.

My MX 12v was replaced free a few years ago under the basic warranty. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car, and the 12v went out a few months ago. It was not covered and yes it was around $200+ to replace it. Although "Easy to replace" is relative. For Model 3, it was easy. Took the guy about 5 min. For Model X, they have 2 people and it took about 25 min. For X, they have to remove a bunch of things in the frunk including the frunk liner and the filters. I have surveillance video with sound on my driveway. One tech was teaching the other and he told her to check the filters and if it is dirty, we clean it out for them as a courtesy. I guess if you are changing the 12V yourself, you might as well change the air filter.
I have an S, which should be similar to X except for the battery bracket in X is more sophisticated.

Yes, if you diy, you may as well change the hepa filter at the same time. The first time I tried it myself, it took me over an hour, mainly because I have trouble disconnecting one of the wires, and I have to go back to watch some youtube videos, but it ends up being super easy, I just didn't press the little latch correctly. If you are just replacing the battery, you only need to unscrew the bolts for the tub, no need for those used by the filter. After the first try, I can finish it within 30-40mins. There are some videos by ohmmu on youtube. I think the battery for X and Y are more expensive than the 3/Y which is ~$90.

The 8 year warranty only covers the large battery that moves the car, and very little else. In the model 3 subforum, someone is taking tesla to arbitration because on model 3s it does not even cover the PCS that is connected to the HV battery, and people feel it should.

So, yeah, dont expect that 8 year warranty to cover much of anything other than the actual high voltage (hv) battery.
@jjrandorin Got it. Thanks!

My 2018 M3 has 100,200 km, so outside of basic warranty; yesterday after parking the car at work I couldn't open the doors with app or key, couldn't communicate via the app, etc. After an hour of restarting phones/bluetooth, etc., I got in touch with the roadside assistance group (after another 30 minute wait for a callback), who told me that the errors showing on their end meant that a mobile service visit could not be scheduled - service center trip was necessary. Roadside scheduled a tow to get the car to a service center. Service completed 36 hours after initial appearance of problem.

All in, 205 CAD for the tow, 150 CAD for 2 days of car rental (plus 40 dollars gas), 380 CAD for the battery replacement and labor, for a grand total of 775 CAD for the replacement of a 12 V battery.

Every new car I've ever bought had a list of excluded items that were considered wear and tear. Some of those items are still covered but have their own stated warranty that is usually a shorter duration than the bumper to bumper warranty. The 12v batter on my new vehicle purchases have always been excluded from the regular new car warranty and have always had their own warranty terms stated. 12v batteries have been mostly 100% replacement after the first year and then prorated after that. Sometimes the warranty exclusion refers to the batteries own separate warranty card.

Reactions: jboy210
One more thing. The 12v battery that comes with the S/X now...and I assume the 3/Y is not any sort of standard automotive battery you could anywhere. I don't know their price but it's likely a lot more expensive since it's not manufactured at the same scale as regular automotive batteries. Does anyone know if the current 12v batteries are excluded from the new car warranty?