Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the dual motor option worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The RWD Model S handles extremely well. The AWD Model S holds the road like it's on rails. For my needs, my RWD Model 3 will be fine. AWD would have been better.

And I really doubt the few inches increase in stopping distance due to a few extra pounds of weight for the additional motor is as significant as the improved handling. Sometimes you need to stop quickly. Sometimes you need to swerve. Overall, AWD will be an improvement. Most folks don't need it, but where roads are slippery I would absolutely feel it's worth the cost.

You all who want 4 wheel drive for snow might want to watch the now very old videos of Model S with RWD in Norway, driving on ice. TWO WHEEL ONLY DRIVE. Check this out.

You are seeing a REAR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY Tesla.

I don’t need to watch the video since I do the snow test weekly. I could also show the video of my wife having the neighbors push her up the driveway in our RWD S. While Tesla is waaaay better than traditional RWD, AWD is vastly superior in snow.

You all who want 4 wheel drive for snow might want to watch the now very old videos of Model S with RWD in Norway, driving on ice. TWO WHEEL ONLY DRIVE. Check this out.

You are seeing a REAR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY Tesla.

Is stopping distance shorter or longer with AWD?
It is longer because of higher weight.

Do D models habe save suspension setup as RWD (front toe-in)?
I'd guess not and this is where the efficiency increase stems from.
Set the front suspension on RWD to minimal toe-in and watch the efficiency rise.

Freewheeling the motor over 1:9 gears means drag.

Vern, thanks for the video. I really enjoyed it. WarpedOne, thanks for your insight. I have not considered the points that you raised. Thanks again.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I am speaking from absolutely no Model 3 experience (mine is on order), but having driven my 2013 S85 for almost 5 years, and my wife's 2015 S70D for almost 3 years, I vote for the D hands down. And I live in the SF Bay Area and have never driven either in the snow. The D just feels more planted and secure in all weather conditions. I'm not even paying attention to the performance benefit and the minimal mileage benefit. That's why I am waiting for my Model 3D (I could have taken delivery of the current build Model 3 in January). YMMV.
I'm in SoCal with minimal rain and snow, but am leaning towards dual motors for the sake of the "planted and secure" feeling you described.

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima
Is stopping distance shorter or longer with AWD?
It is longer because of higher weight.

I don't know about these stopping distances in the real world, but I recall from high school physics that adding weight to a car will not increase the stopping distance if you have enough braking power to lock up the wheels. E.g. if you double the weight, you double the available traction from the tires. Eventually you could load it enough to where the brakes couldn't lock up the wheels (or engage ABS), but otherwise it *shouldn't* have an impact.

High school physics is not able to adequately model traction-weight dependency
But it’s pretty close :p AWD will be longer but very close. Also doesn’t help that the weight is being added to the front.
Obviously the braking distance will be almost entirely determined by the tires.
Though in snow on top of pavement more weight is actually an advantage because the tire dig deeper into the snow.

I don’t need to watch the video since I do the snow test weekly. I could also show the video of my wife having the neighbors push her up the driveway in our RWD S. While Tesla is waaaay better than traditional RWD, AWD is vastly superior in snow.

I wouldn't even say it's "waaaay better than traditional RWD". It sure seems about the same as other RWD vehicles to me, after 4 winters driving my RWD S in the snow.

Also, that video is quite funny -- that's not the type snow I'm concerned about with any RWD vehicle and good winter tires. Compacted snow on travelled roads is not an issue for RWD -- so what's the point of that video? I'm concerned about my cabin's driveway after a snowfall, and trying to get back up it. My Tahoe hybrid will spin its rear wheels until I turn the dial to AWD then it just easily moves. We haven't had to push the S up like you, since I use chains until I get to the top, -- then the road is like those in the video and I take them off so as not to cause damage given the limited clearance and damage done by chains in threads here. I drive very slow with them on, or plow and sand and don't use them but that's a lot of work.

Still, I Iove my RWD S that I bought before AWD came out, and my RWD 3 -- same thing. Life's just too short for me to wait and with our rebate likely gone before we get them it didn't make financial sense to wait. Plus, RWD is sure fun to drive -- yes, you fishtail -- and it's not as safe a AWD -- which keeps you planted more -- and is less fun -- at least in my experience.

• Informative
I driven P85D and it handled amazing around turns. I live in Los Angeles, where it does not rain often, but when it does its a strong rain. I decided to get AWD just purely for fun driving. Now that it appears AWD will be lower MPGe/efficiency Tesla Model 3 Performance version gets efficiency of 116 MPGe – significantly lower than standard version I am bumped, but will still hold out for AWD. I come from FWD Nisan Altima, For me its no real point for safety but just fun, maybe some performance gain now and later as AWD is similar to P-AWD as far as hardware.

• Informative
I driven P85D and it handled amazing around turns. I live in Los Angeles, where it does not rain often, but when it does its a strong rain. I decided to get AWD just purely for fun driving. Now that it appears AWD will be lower MPGe/efficiency Tesla Model 3 Performance version gets efficiency of 116 MPGe – significantly lower than standard version I am bumped, but will still hold out for AWD. I come from FWD Nisan Altima, For me its no real point for safety but just fun, maybe some performance gain now and later as AWD is similar to P-AWD as far as hardware.

I've driven a lot of cars in heavy rain -- living on the wet coast -- and driving since 15 -- even though I couldn't get my licence until 16.

RWD in wet weather is fun.
AWD in wet weather is safe.

Anyone who says otherwise, has a different version of "fun" than me when driving -- which is a bit of loss of control -- heart races -- you drive into it (not out) -- and all goes well (hopefully). But you need to know how to drive into a spin or slide and not brake or jerk hard which is our natural reaction leads to disaster which is why AWD is so much safer.

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima
Anyone that does not understand how much better AWD on a Tesla performs in all conditions has not driven both vehicles enough. The braking comments are a bit silly as a drawback.

On the other hand, AWD is not worth the price, please do not order one so I can get one sooner:)
I don't know if I agree.

There is no rain here enough to notice, except maybe 4 or 5 days a year, when I can just drive slow, or stay home and look out the windows at the rain.

No one in this area knows how to drive in rain anyway. I lived 9 years in Ohio and WV so I do know what I'm talking about, I hope.

I've driven AWD for 2 years plus now on our S90Ds.

I think I'll go with RWD on my future Model 3. Any reason not to?

I don't know if I agree.

There is no rain here enough to notice, except maybe 4 or 5 days a year, when I can just drive slow, or stay home and look out the windows at the rain.

No one in this area knows how to drive in rain anyway. I lived 9 years in Ohio and WV so I do know what I'm talking about, I hope.

I've driven AWD for 2 years plus now on our S90Ds.

I think I'll go with RWD on my future Model 3. Any reason not to?

When I had a S85 loaner, I noticed that the regen brake feels a lot weaker on the non-D. I checked and it was on Standard Regen same as our 75D, Not sure if it was just that particular S85 or all RWD have weaker regen brake than AWD.

• Informative
*waves from Texas Gulf Coast*
The rain here is something different.

I doubt that. I live in a temperate rain forest. You don't get more, or heavier, rains than here unless you're talking about hurricanes and if so no one is driving unless to leave. It's not uncommon for the rain to be so driving hard that you can't see in front you and the wipers can't keep up, especially through the mountain passes where the Pacific ocean's warm air is quickly shed. Then hydroplaning is the real concern and you can hydroplane with both RWD or AWD and there's a lot to be said for this point of view:

The Myth of All-Powerful All-Wheel Drive

I find you're more prone to hydroplane with AWD because all tires get involved and I turn the dial in my Tahoe between RWD and AWD and I find more control through water with the rear tires pushing the front than the fonts pulling me over water. That's when you can get on top of it and then you're in trouble.

Once there's too much water on the road you can't drive -- RWD or AWD. I don't go through muddy unpaved roads -- only paved or gravel ones -- and it's those ones when covered with snow or ice that I need AWD. Not for water on paved roads. I doubt my view would change if I lived in Texas -- where up here I think of it as mostly sunny with cacti.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61
@Canuck that feel through water is really going to be dependent on traction control.

Subaru's for example is excellent and can torque vector all 4 wheels using braking and throttle modulation.

In theory Tesla could do better with their hardware, if the software is up to snuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck