Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the M3 roof UV-resistant? [yes]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible anyone can Clarify the difference between UV-A vs UV-B with automotive glass?

Read several ambiguous and conflicting things, would appreciate some further explaination and understanding on the topic.

Some things say, yes automotive glass blocks "all" UV, and some say its specific to the glass construction utilized on the specific vehicle.

If all automotive glass doesn't block every part of the UV spectrum, is it still considered and called UV resistant, without any caveat of which specific bands its blocking?

If I understand, UVA is not as bad for us meatbags as UVB because of wavelength?
But not all automotive glass blocks UVA?

Good points.

But it turns out both UVA-A and UV-B are damaging to humans. UV-B is actually more commonly associated with skin cancer (and other DNA damage), but UV-A is way more abundant in sunlight (about 95% of UVA radiation that reaches the Earth's surface is UV-A). So UV-A is almost as damaging, just due to its abundance. (From Pubmed, Nat'l Institutes of Health)

When Tesla says its glass reduces UV radiation to less than 2 on the UV Index scale, I'm assuming it means all UV - both bands. And the U.S. EPA says a UV Index of 0-2 is safe for working and playing outside in the sun. (per EPA)

If my understanding is wrong, someone please correct me.

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
Good points.

But it turns out both UVA-A and UV-B are damaging to humans. UV-B is actually more commonly associated with skin cancer (and other DNA damage), but UV-A is way more abundant in sunlight (about 95% of UVA radiation that reaches the Earth's surface is UV-A). So UV-A is almost as damaging, just due to its abundance. (From Pubmed, Nat'l Institutes of Health)

When Tesla says its glass reduces UV radiation to less than 2 on the UV Index scale, I'm assuming it means all UV - both bands. And the U.S. EPA says a UV Index of 0-2 is safe for working and playing outside in the sun. (per EPA)

If my understanding is wrong, someone please correct me.
Simple to measure. My tint guy had one of these.

IMG_2142.png

Reactions: rotarypower101
the manual is incredibly vague though "

UV Index Rating​

The roof, windshields, and windows in Model 3 are excellent at protecting you from UV (ultraviolet) rays. The glass components score less than 2 on the UV Index scale. Review your region’s UV Index specifications for more information. You are still responsible for taking the necessary precautions for sun protection."

typically you would say to what degree UVA / UVB rays are blocked. 80%? 90%? more than 90%?

2 on the UV index scale only means "low" ... like on a cloudy winter day in Northern Europe...

Simple to measure. My tint guy had one of these.

View attachment 1029222
Possible anyone with access to one of these tools could Please check the individual pieces of glass and report back with their findings, explicitly for different stock Tesla glass components, windshield, side glass, rood glass, etc untreated with aftermarket films?

Someone told me there may be a difference in protection, and inferred the plastic lamination may have a significant role in UV rejection?
Is there truth to that?
Is the plastic layer inside the glass laminated structure typically PC? Which I think has known UV blocking ability

And does that have any bearing on the Updated Acoustic Glass panels?

Does "most" of the UV protection come from the glass or the plastic laminate? Or are they both significant contributors?

For some reason, that is an unresolved topic that has come up many times in our circles on long trips, and am Very curious to hear what the truth is, hopefully from someone educated on the topic.

Not to hijack my own thread, but it started out by feeling the heat that comes through the glass roof, in spite of my having it blocked off all the time with an aftermarket shade. I wondered if the heat transfer was an indication of UV penetration.

Then I noticed that about 75% of the heat seems to come in through the windshield, not the side windows. I'm too cheap to fork over $500-600 to tint my windows (all the tint shops around here say they use only ceramic tint on Teslas). So, I'm thinking about having heat-rejecting clear tint installed on my windshield only. Or maybe the windshield and roof over the passenger area.

IMO Tesla tinted the roof too much, to the point that the benefits of having a clear "moon roof" are lost, and it might as well be solid metal.

Has anyone here had their windshield done with clear? How about the roof? How much did it help?

Possible anyone with access to one of these tools could Please check the individual pieces of glass and report back with their findings, explicitly for different stock Tesla glass components, windshield, side glass, rood glass, etc untreated with aftermarket films?

Someone told me there may be a difference in protection, and inferred the plastic lamination may have a significant role in UV rejection?
Is there truth to that?
Is the plastic layer inside the glass laminated structure typically PC? Which I think has known UV blocking ability

And does that have any bearing on the Updated Acoustic Glass panels?

Does "most" of the UV protection come from the glass or the plastic laminate? Or are they both significant contributors?

For some reason, that is an unresolved topic that has come up many times in our circles on long trips, and am Very curious to hear what the truth is, hopefully from someone educated on the topic.
polycarbonates filter nearly 100% of both UV-A/B ... apparently Polyvinyl is used for the sandwich middle layer of laminated windshields ... so the UV reduction would have to be achieved by some sort of filter. Mineral glass blocks nearly all UV-B but for UV-A (the more dangerous spectrum) it doesnt do much unless it's tinted (like the Tesla moonroof)

Reactions: rotarypower101