Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Premium Audio Worth the upgrade?

Is the Premium Audio worth the $2,500 upgrade?

• Yes: the Premium Sound is worth it.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • No: the Premium Sound is not worth it.

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
McMuggets, I see you quoted me here, but I am unclear on the connection to my post. I agree with what you said and that was my intent in my post if I was unclear.

I also would have gotten the upgraded sound system if I had the choice (I bought CPO).

Here is my post from the Slacker 320 Kbps thread: #7

Sorry Cyclone, I totally didn't mean to quote you for anything except vibrating windows.

I tried some songs from my iPhone recently that weren't bought from iTunes (backed up from CD long ago) and it sounded horrible in the Model S. However, in my previous car it sounded pretty darn awesome. But then when I tried an iTunes matched version of the song in the Model S it was remarkably better, especially when hitting the heavy bass and trebles. I am wondering if my older car just doesn't process the sound as much?

As for Dolby, I like to keep it on, whereas I am noticing a lot of people turn it off. Perhaps I never got to experience it with the older sound processing. It would also be interesting for some people to see if there is a difference in the hardware on a 2013 vs. 2015 Model S.

I tried some songs from my iPhone recently that weren't bought from iTunes (backed up from CD long ago) and it sounded horrible in the Model S. However, in my previous car it sounded pretty darn awesome.

I've noticed the same. I also have iTunes Match. I didn't think about downloading the iTunes Match version of the song with hopefully better quality. Guess I got some downloading to do!

I don't know if the hardware changed, but I want to ask to be explicit... Did you make sure to use Dolby on/off as you have in your car? Were both cars on the same firmware? Tesla has recently made changes to the sound processor and on the premium system, some have reported that previously, they would always leave Dolby off and now, with the updated sound processing, they turned Dolby on for a better experience.

Both cars running 6.2. I made absolutely sure Dolby was on/off as in my car. I checked both ways. And I checked with various EQ settings and fades I'm familiar with. My ears are relatively good in detecting audio nuances. There is an audible difference to me especially at higher volumes.

There have been notable improvements in the audio with firmware upgrades over the last two years, especially in the Dolby and the EQ. My comment does not pertain to those. It addresses what I perceive to be a difference in premium audio sound between a 2 year old car and premium audio sound in a new car. It appears to me that something is different. Whether that is due to changes in the speakers or the electronics I am unable to guess.

It would be interesting for others to compare and post their comments. I suspect most people will not be able to tell much of a difference but those who are used to better quality sound systems may indeed agree that there has been a change somewhere which has slightly degraded the quality of the system.

Both cars running 6.2. I made absolutely sure Dolby was on/off as in my car. I checked both ways. And I checked with various EQ settings and fades I'm familiar with. My ears are relatively good in detecting audio nuances. There is an audible difference to me especially at higher volumes.

There have been notable improvements in the audio with firmware upgrades over the last two years, especially in the Dolby and the EQ. My comment does not pertain to those. It addresses what I perceive to be a difference in premium audio sound between a 2 year old car and premium audio sound in a new car. It appears to me that something is different. Whether that is due to changes in the speakers or the electronics I am unable to guess.

It would be interesting for others to compare and post their comments. I suspect most people will not be able to tell much of a difference but those who are used to better quality sound systems may indeed agree that there has been a change somewhere which has slightly degraded the quality of the system.

I can't seem to find any information of a tear-down of the hardware in the premium audio for the Model S. The closest I could find was a review from a self-described audiophile on teslarati.com, on his 2014 Model S found here The Sound in the Tesla Model S - TESLARATI.com . Perhaps this guy's is the same system as your 2013, because he seems to love it a lot. I must say I have never gotten to experience a 2013 Model S premium sound system, so I wouldn't know. Perhaps ignorance is bliss!

Can a subwoofer (like the EVANNEX NVX system for $1000) be added to the standard audio system to bring it comparable to the premium sound system? I have read that only the deep bass is missing from the standard audio system - which can be overcome with a $1000 subwoofer system (or even cheaper on Crutchfield.com)

Thoughts?

I have the Premium Audio in my D and both the Bass and Treble sound way better then in a 85 loaner with no Premium. When I turned the volume up the sound on the non premium was just not as nice overall and it was not just bass.

Can a subwoofer (like the EVANNEX NVX system for $1000) be added to the standard audio system to bring it comparable to the premium sound system? I have read that only the deep bass is missing from the standard audio system - which can be overcome with a $1000 subwoofer system (or even cheaper on Crutchfield.com)

Thoughts?

I am getting the NVX system installed on Monday and will report back. Given a do over I would order the premium audio and then maybe add the extra sub.

I had my 85D test drive today and had a chance to hear the systems in different cars. I used the same song in the premium and standard sound cars. The standard sound lacked a little bit of the low end bass but overall I found it to be quite adequate and reasonable, at least to my ears. I'm opting for the standard sound when I order mine now that I've heard both, FWIW...

Jeff

Had the NVX sub woofer install today by the guys at NVX (Sonic Electronix) could not be happier. Perfect install by Brendan and great clean sound. Really made my standard sound system sound great. Highly recommended.
0efe983f4e1bcec26aacdacaabd947ac.jpg
ef25c41c6776a21b7f962caaec567c5c.jpg
a87efbe39fc907d36affae96ab75fd8d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I'm going to adjust my stance from "both audios are lacking" to "undetermined"... after 2 weeks with the car, with base audio, I noticed that some songs sound pretty damn good (even with base audio) but most songs sound pretty flat (which is what I heard during my test drives even with the premium audio, which is why I didn't chose the premium audio).

I tested the same songs with LTE and wifi, so it's not a data issue. The source is not in the equation either, could be either FM or TuneIn or Slacker.

Maybe it has more to do with the DSP vs. speakers?

I have the original "Sound Studio" premium sound system and I think it sounds great. It gets plenty loud and never seems to have any strain or distortion. When I really want to enjoy it, I listen to hi-rez FLAC files from USB. XM and the Internet stations sound acceptable as well. I noticed significantly better bass response when I installed the cargo cover in the rear hatch area. When our car came, we had to wait a while for the cargo cover so I had some experience with the sound system before it. I think that might be a standard item now. When I ordered the Model S, the Premium sound was a <$1000 option which made it a no-brainer. If I were purchasing the car today, I know I would not be satisfied with the standard 6 channel system so I'd probably still go with the Premium Tesla system just because it's fully integrated and provides XM which I do use.

I had a loaner with premium sound last week and I could hardly tell the difference listening to my podcasts. Yeah, not music, I usually don't listen to music unless I'm trying to focus at work with my game tunes. It was a little clearer and more bassy, but definitely not $2500 better for how I use it, especially considering the loss of the right trunk pocket which I use rather excessively. I noticed the reduction in tire noise (Michelin and springs vs. my Goodyear and air) more than the improvement in the sound.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I picked up my P85D with UHF on Wednesday and when I first got in an listened to music over bluetooth I was completely unimpressed and so was my audiophile friend that was with me. I haven't played any FLAC yet so I don't know what improvement I'll see.

However, after several hours of listening to music and making a few adjustments both on my phone and to the equalizer, bluetooth audio was significantly better. When I mentioned this to my friend today he did point out that speakers need to be broken in some (he experienced this with his high end home speakers) and once they are they tend to sound a lot better. So far that aligns with my experience since the sound has gotten better even after making adjustments and tonight when I was sitting at a supercharger, I was really enjoying what I was hearing both from Slacker and my phone.

As I said, when I first got it, I wasn't happy with the tone, but I did notice that the vocals on several songs were significantly better than my HK audio in my E350. The overall audio tone in the E350 was way better, but the vocals in the MS were clearer and I felt like there was more range and I could hear more subtle notes. Now that the bass has improved the overall tone sounds better, but the bass isn't as good as my '09 E350.

Something to keep in mind is that if you don't get UHF you are only getting 6 speakers instead of 12 and the front door speakers are 6" instead of 7.9" (based on this). So even if the audio isn't what you would expect for $2500 you are getting an extra 6 speakers that can be upgraded. Those speakers are also already integrated into the car so no need to customize anything. So an upgraded UHF system should be way better than an upgraded standard set up.