Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the reduction in power with low SOC a software design or is it a physical limitation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy's new 2021 M3P had the same issue the other day. The car is nerfed like a Leaf at low state of charge (~<20%). My money is on a software bug. The power difference is so drastic there is no way this is related to normal temperature and SOC affects.

That's an interesting idea and would be easy to test by removing the supercharger destination.

Working correctly it shouldn't be an issue and I think that the heat pump over cooling the battery could still be a problem but fixable by software.

My buddy's new 2021 M3P had the same issue the other day. The car is nerfed like a Leaf at low state of charge (~<20%). My money is on a software bug. The power difference is so drastic there is no way this is related to normal temperature and SOC affects.
Yeah, after watching the video @Zoomit posted I'm not sure if that is what I'm noticing. Similar to your friend, it is almost a completely different vehicle when it has a low SOC compared to when it has a full charge (80%+). It's still quick but 0-60 in maybe 5-6 seconds quick vs 3.5 seconds quick. It's noticeable but still fast enough to get where you want to go or around traffic for the most part.

Unrelated to the OPs question.

Power is reduced as SoC decreases as a result of characteristics of batteries themselves as described earlier as _well_ as software implementation not only in the name of efficiency but durability as well.
Thanks! Someone finally addressed the question! I’d also add that efforts to fool the chemistry or software that protects it with approaches like battery heating at low temperature are likely to eventually impact battery capability. Don’t mess with Mother Nature or father physics.

If an MYP owner with SMT wants to do a test at 80% and 30%, I'll cover the LR w/ boost numbers. I won't be able to do any good tests until Spring unless we get any unseasonably warm 50+ F temps.

I did a few 0-60 and 30-70 MPH runs a few days ago since there was another thread wondering at what speeds do the motors peak, stating they don't peak at the same time. I'll upload the graph later tonight when I'm finished work, but it appears both front and rear motors on the LR Y w/ boost peak and plateau at the same speeds. I'll more runs when it's warmer out and when I do 0-120 mph runs since it appears the motors tend to peak around 70-75 mph and I wasn't able to capture it on these two runs.