Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a credit for the reduced price on next-gen seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh... I just picked up my car this morning and it came with the next gen front only despite the following conditions:
- The configurator showed both front and rear next gen at the time I confirmed the order
- I specifically requested and received email confirmation from my sales rep about both front+rear prior to confirming my order
- I paid the $3500 for it rather than the $2500 "front only" price

It definitely would be nice if they refunded the $1000 difference. Or at least offered a credit toward accessories or whatnot, even if only ~$750, as it could be used for purchase of the premium front console add-on, an additional power cable, etc. I think such a goodwill gesture from Tesla would go a long way with their customers.

Sigh... I just picked up my car this morning and it came with the next gen front only despite the following conditions:
- The configurator showed both front and rear next gen at the time I confirmed the order
- I specifically requested and received email confirmation from my sales rep about both front+rear prior to confirming my order

It definitely would be nice if they refunded the $1000 difference. Or at least offered a credit toward accessories or whatnot, even if only ~$750, as it could be used for purchase of the premium front console add-on, an additional power cable, etc. I think such a goodwill gesture from Tesla would go a long way with their customers.

Yikes, that's scary. If you ordered back in February, I placed my order after you and too paid for both the front/rear next gen seats at $3,500 and my current design has them both in the front and rear.

I would be fairly mad if I were you. You better believe they should at the very least refund you the $1,000 and throw in some other extras, or perhaps offer to switch them out at no charge when the parts become available. Have you spoken to anyone at Tesla about it yet?

Have you spoken to anyone at Tesla about it yet?

I did shoot a quick email msg to the sales advisor (who has been wonderful all throughout the shopping process, btw). He replied rather quickly letting me know he’s looking into it, so that’s a good start. :)

Overall I’ve been rather impressed with the entire Tesla purchasing process relative to all my past dealership experiences, so I’m optimistic they’ll do something positive here regardless of the overall monetary value.

You should not settle for less than what you want, either the rear seats you ordered and paid for or the full $1000 difference, your choice. I have also ordered the $3500 next gen full set in February and (until now) expected to get the correct rear seats. I don't want a refund, personally, and I would be willing to accept the new seats retrofitted later as they did with the earliest P85D customers.

Please keep us posted on the resolution.

Are you sure you don't have the NG rears? NG v2 (builds after about 1 Feb?) is a bit different than NG v1. v2 has much smaller bolsters than v1 and folds flatter. Look much more like standard than v1 did.

When I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago I thought I had the standard rears because the rears looked considerably different than the NG rears I'd seen in December.

Are you sure you don't have the NG rears? NG v2 (builds after about 1 Feb?) is a bit different than NG v1. v2 has much smaller bolsters than v1 and folds flatter. Look much more like standard than v1 did.

When I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago I thought I had the standard rears because the rears looked considerably different than the NG rears I'd seen in December.

Does the stitching and detailing match the front seats? That is one of my issues with getting non-matching front and rear seats.

Ok, I have the scoop. They seem to (but won't admit) have run out of rear next gen seats for now, so have dropped the price temporarily to $2,500 to reflect new orders getting only front next gen seats. I have been assured of front and rear. If only front, then $2,500. Some people were in the middle and were charged $3,500 for front only, but the promise to correct that. He is checking on my car specifically at the factory to make sure we know it's status. More to come!

I was told no refund since the price was contracted (something about legally they can't do anything - never like when "legal" is an excuse against good customer service). Probably picking up the car early next week.

I have the exec seats so I was never getting the next-gen rear (but ordered the next gen fronts). Not very happy because I even questioned why I was paying for next-gen rear seats when I ordered the car if I am buying next-gen front seats with exec rear seats.

Hoping that maybe something still might be done when I pick up the car...

I checked the current design of my confirmed order and it does still have an image of nextgen seats in the rear. You can tell by the small risers/dividers on the seat bottom and back between each seating area, and by the matching stitching. Not sure what's going on here...
Mine still has the next gen rear seats in the confirmed design as well. Tesla changing this after the fact (unless the customer had something else voluntarily changed, then you have to accept whatever is in the current price book for all your options, apparently) would be surprising. Picture below:

Attachments

• next gen seats from 030315 build.jpg
    next gen seats from 030315 build.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 228
I was told no refund since the price was contracted (something about legally they can't do anything...

It's unfortunate, but that's kind of what I was expecting, which is why I would be ok if rather than a straight up refund they would just give a sort of "coupon" for accessories. Once available, I'll almost certainly be ordering the CHAdeMO Adapter and Premium Front Consoles anyway. So any rebate off of those would be functionally equivalent to a straight refund to me. :)

It's unfortunate, but it sounds to me that siteexperts situation is a bit different, as the order was confirmed with exec rear seats and not front/back nextgen seats. I fully expect the nextgen seats to be installed front & back or a refund for the price difference -- this is what our contract calls for.

Ok, I have the scoop. They seem to (but won't admit) have run out of rear next gen seats for now, so have dropped the price temporarily to $2,500 to reflect new orders getting only front next gen seats. I have been assured of front and rear. If only front, then $2,500. Some people were in the middle and were charged $3,500 for front only, but the promise to correct that. He is checking on my car specifically at the factory to make sure we know it's status. More to come!

I placed my order last Sunday (3/22/15) and was told by the sales rep that helped me with the design studio that even tho i opted for next-gen seats (at the new, cheaper price) the car would "most likely" only ship with next gen seats in the front, and the older seats in the rear.

I suspect that they have "run out" of rear next gen seats as Ldub22 mentions above.

They told me I have standard rear seats

I placed my order last Sunday (3/22/15) and was told by the sales rep that helped me with the design studio that even tho i opted for next-gen seats (at the new, cheaper price) the car would "most likely" only ship with next gen seats in the front, and the older seats in the rear.

I suspect that they have "run out" of rear next gen seats as Ldub22 mentions above.

I have contacted the DS and my sales person. My particular situation is even more upsetting because I had #270 in the Model X wait list and my wife said she was willing to give that up so I could get the awesome P85D because they had "finally upgraded the interior"! ALSO, I had seen the problems that the people at the end of the year had with delivery for next gen rear seats and my sales rep (who has been with them since the roadster) promised me that I would get the front and rear since I SPECIFICALLY asked about this problem before I placed my order right there in the sales room.

I am going to be on a conference call in a few minutes with the DS and my salesperson where I will demand that I get the reduced price, and have a written assurance of getting the next gen seats in the rear when they are available, AND I want my reservation spot back!

This reflects poorly on Tesla, a company I believe in (but refuse to get screwed by), and this resolution is EXACTLY the kind of thing that Porsche or Mercedes would do for a customer if this kind of thing happened.