Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason to get the Tesla wall connector over other level 2 home chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a Model Y but prior to that I want to have my home charging solution ready to go. The Tesla wall connector would make sense at least for this first electric vehicle but I wouldn't want to lock myself into Tesla's without having to pay for an adapter down the road.

So my question is, for Tesla owners, is there a reason to prefer the Tesla wall connector over other home level to chargers that have the Tesla adaptor (NACS I think) built-in? For example, does using a non Tesla charger at home have some impact on the warranty for the vehicle, or does using the Tesla wall connector bring some advantages with charging compared to other chargers?

P.s. I know Tessa will be coming out with a different wall connector in October that will have the adapter that most other manufacturers in North America need right now, but my current lease will be up in October so I would ideally have my charging solution ready well before then.

I am not an MA electrician, but my understanding is that MA does not have a blanket restriction to use NM cable at 60C ampacity ratings. They are allowed to understand if NM is embedded in insulation for a good portion of its length, then it is rated at 60C and 55A. If there is no insulation to retain the heat, then the 75C ampacity may be used, resulting in 65A rating for the #6-3 romex.
In the case of my installation there is about 15’ of the ~57’ run tucked down in the insulation next to a joist, 4’ is through an insulated wall, 5’ is in the conduit from the ceiling to the charger, and the remainder of it is secured across the top of the joists above the insulation. I could easily unbury the 15’ and secure it to the top of the joists.

Upvote 0
In the case of my installation there is about 15’ of the ~57’ run tucked down in the insulation next to a joist, 4’ is through an insulated wall, 5’ is in the conduit from the ceiling to the charger, and the remainder of it is secured across the top of the joists above the insulation. I could easily unbury the 15’ and secure it to the top of the joists.
NEC gives an allowance if 10% of your run length and no more than 10' is at a lower ampacity, that portion of the run with the lower ampacity due to temperature or fill limitations can be ignored.
Can you give a link to a document of the Mass. code then that shows this? I would really like to learn if this is the case.

334.80 Ampacity

Amendment
Type NM, and NMC cables shall have conductors rated at 90°C (194°F). Where installed in thermal insulation, the ampacity of conductors shall be that of 60°C (140°F) conductors. The ampacity of Types NM, and NMC cables installed in cable tray shall be determined in accordance with 392.11.
Where more than two NM cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are installed in contact with thermal insulation without maintaining spacing between cables, the ampacity of each conductor shall be adjusted in accordance with Table 310.15(C)(1).

Reactions: BroncoAZ
Upvote 0
@Vines Thanks. I had done some searching earlier today and found that page with the Massachusetts amendments and that 334.80 section. It does appear that it's showing that it can use the 90 degree rating unless it's in an insulated wall, where it would still have to use the 60 degree rating. Inside insulated walls is the most common use for Romex in residential houses anyway, though. That's why you choose Romex for that. So getting to use the 90 degree case would be a bit rare. Romex can be used inside the hollow places in cinder block walls, but that's not common residential.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vines
Upvote 0
@Vines Thanks. I had done some searching earlier today and found that page with the Massachusetts amendments and that 334.80 section. It does appear that it's showing that it can use the 90 degree rating unless it's in an insulated wall, where it would still have to use the 60 degree rating. Inside insulated walls is the most common use for Romex in residential houses anyway, though. That's why you choose Romex for that. So getting to use the 90 degree case would be a bit rare. Romex can be used inside the hollow places in cinder block walls, but that's not common residential.
Correct. I had remembered the Massachusetts exception that the 60 degree column was only to be used if run in attic insulation, but you are correct that the exception only applies if you run the NM-B in no insulation at all (so wall insulation would require it to use the 60 degree column).

Sorry If I sounded harsh in my previous post, but I am so over this NM-B 60A debate. And when I saw that the poster you were replying to was in MA, I lost it. Bear in mind that some garage attics and walls are not insulated, so the MA exception would apply.

Edit: Here are the MA code revisions.

334.80 . Delete the second paragraph and revise the first paragraph to read as follows:

334.80 Ampacity . Type NM, and NMC cables shall have conductors rated at 90°C (194°F). Where installed in thermal insulation, the ampacity of conductors shall be that of 60°C (140°F) conductors. The ampacity of Types NM, and NMC cables installed in cable tray shall be determined in accordance with 392.11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be clear I marked this disagree because it has somewhat incorrect information.

Though the wire is rated for 90C you cannot use it to terminate in a panelboard at that ampacity unless the terminations are rated for 90C. No residential 240V panelboard and breakers are rated more than 75C.

Technically a wire could be used at 90C if the terminations were both rated for that temperature such as a piece of wire connected to wire nuts, lugs or polaris connectors at both ends.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Sorry If I sounded harsh in my previous post, but I am so over this NM-B 60A debate. And when I saw that the poster you were replying to was in MA, I lost it.
I guess I'm really lost why you would lose it on that. It would be very reasonable for people to go with the information they have because it's 99% of the cases, where they don't know about the rare 1% exception that exists.

Upvote 0