Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason to get the Tesla wall connector over other level 2 home chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a Model Y but prior to that I want to have my home charging solution ready to go. The Tesla wall connector would make sense at least for this first electric vehicle but I wouldn't want to lock myself into Tesla's without having to pay for an adapter down the road.

So my question is, for Tesla owners, is there a reason to prefer the Tesla wall connector over other home level to chargers that have the Tesla adaptor (NACS I think) built-in? For example, does using a non Tesla charger at home have some impact on the warranty for the vehicle, or does using the Tesla wall connector bring some advantages with charging compared to other chargers?

P.s. I know Tessa will be coming out with a different wall connector in October that will have the adapter that most other manufacturers in North America need right now, but my current lease will be up in October so I would ideally have my charging solution ready well before then.

For a Tesla owner, right now, the Tesla Wall Connector is by far the best EVSE on the market. It has gone through three generations, getting more reliable annd feature rich each time. It has a simple well designed install, with a backing plate that you wire everything into. It is future proof in that you can load share when/if you get a second EVSE for a second vehicle.

And any new new EV you purchase 2+ years from now will be directly compatible with it.

Upvote 0
I had a Tesla Wall Connector installed 3 months ago and unit Cost $425. Recently the price went up to $475 but still cheaper than many others and Its well built. If you have Tesla and non Tesla they just came out with one that does Tesla and J1772 for $595. State of charge you tube channel does good reviews of lots of brands. With a continuously operating electrical device like this, I wouldn’t just buy the cheapest thing you can find.

Upvote 0
I'm considering getting a Model Y but prior to that I want to have my home charging solution ready to go. The Tesla wall connector would make sense at least for this first electric vehicle but I wouldn't want to lock myself into Tesla's without having to pay for an adapter down the road.

So my question is, for Tesla owners, is there a reason to prefer the Tesla wall connector over other home level to chargers that have the Tesla adaptor (NACS I think) built-in? For example, does using a non Tesla charger at home have some impact on the warranty for the vehicle, or does using the Tesla wall connector bring some advantages with charging compared to other chargers?

P.s. I know Tessa will be coming out with a different wall connector in October that will have the adapter that most other manufacturers in North America need right now, but my current lease will be up in October so I would ideally have my charging solution ready well before then.

There is no warranty issue that I am aware of. Tesla encourage the use of public chargers by providing a J1772 adapter with the vehicle, and a CCS adapter is for sale on their website.

The Tesla Wall Connector is probably the best reviewed EVSE currently, and the various versions of it have been on the top list for many years.

Depending on your location of installation the orientation of the attached end of the cable and where the plug is stored may be problematic. There are wall connector EVSEs that have the plug storage location on the face of the unit rather than the side. This may better accommodate your installation location.

1693064997508.png

1693065018138.png

Reactions: fsb1
Upvote 0
Your new Tesla vehicle will come with the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter; the J1772 adapter is available from Tesla for $50 US if you want to purchase a spare adapter. The J1772 adapter enables you to charge your Tesla vehicle using any Level 1 or Level 2 J1772 charging station (including any public Level 2 charging station.) When charging the Tesla vehicle using the J1772 adapter you lose the convenience of the button on the Tesla NACS connector that opens the charge port door on the Tesla vehicle. (Note that the Tesla vehicle charge port door can also be opened from the Tesla app, or by Tesla vehicle charging screen or by pressing lightly on the charge port door when the Tesla vehicle is powered on, unlocked. Recently Tesla released a version of the Tesla app for iPhone that supports iOS shortcuts. There is a Siri shortcut for Apple iPhone users that enables you to open the charge port by speaking "Hey Siri, Open Tesla Charge Port.")

Check with your State and also local power utility for available rebates for home electric vehicle charging equipment. In some cases you would receive a rebate if you install one of the power company's approved models of smart charging stations. You would also benefit from the off-peak kWh rate that would apply when charging your EV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with others- the Wall Connector seems to be the best value. Although the Model Y level 2 charge limit is (presently) 32 amps and the Wall Connector can deliver 48A, future-proofing is not a terrible consideration. Further, with other OEMs adopting the NACS standard- Tesla's style of plug- the previous problem of adapting to other EVs disappears.

Upvote 0
I agree with others- the Wall Connector seems to be the best value. Although the Model Y level 2 charge limit is (presently) 32 amps and the Wall Connector can deliver 48A, future-proofing is not a terrible consideration. Further, with other OEMs adopting the NACS standard- Tesla's style of plug- the previous problem of adapting to other EVs disappears.

I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. The onboard charger is 48A. The only thing limiting to 32A is the MOBILE connector. The wall connector can match the car's 48A charging rate.

Upvote 0
I'll provide a counter message and say that in most circumstances, it really doesn't matter, particularly if the off-brand comes with the NACS connector tip.
Background - we have two Tesla wall connectors and one off brand installed in our garage. The latter was for our original Chevy Volt. I think the main reason that you might want to go with the TWC is if you have a really long commute and you get in late at night and need to have a full battery again early in the morning. And therefore you'd need to have a high charging rate. If so, then you'd need to compare max amperage capabilities. And even then, you might end up being limited by your electric panel more than your EV charger.

Upvote 0

When I first got my Tesla I had the ChargePoint Home Flex and it worked fine, but I had to use the adapter. What I didn't like is that you had to manually open the charge point by pushing on the cover or using the app or car display. I really wanted to just press the button on the Tesla charger to open the car charge cover so I installed the Tesla charger. I always use the Tesla charger now due to that. I still have both chargers. They are both hard wired and they both charge the car at the same speed. If you think you're also gonna get a non Tesla that's not switching to the NACS (Tesla) standard than maybe a non-Tesla charger would be best for you. That is if you can get past not being able to open the charge port by pressing the button on the Tesla charger :) . Non-Tesla chargers will not void your warranty.

Upvote 0
I have the Wall Connector and have been using it almost every day for two years. It's simple, looks nice, tolerates the hot Florida sun, and works flawlessly. It charges my Model Y at 48 amps and never hiccups.

Other chargers may work great. However, I'm really sold on the Wall Connector.

Upvote 0

Most automakers are moving to the NACS/J3400 plug. So the Tesla wall adapter is the absolute no-brainer decision now.

I have a ChargePoint Home Flex, which is a fantastic EVSE. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a Tesla wall connector.

Reactions: honor_the_driv
Upvote 0
I have Tesla Wall Charger (hardwired) for several month and an old Siemens (30A) charger (nema 6-50) for 6 years. For normal daily use, they both do the job fine. The Tesla charger is slicker/smaller, faster, and connected for updates. Since I normally charge overnight, I can't really appreciate the speed anyway. If I have to pick one, certainly I'd pick the Tesla Wall Charger.

Upvote 0
I've had the tesla wall connector for 2 weeks now and it's been fine and very fancy. What I'm finding is the the car is actually in the garage most of the time and I'm not driving 273 miles every day (model 3 rwd) so I'm kinda thinking simply charging with the 110v wall socket at 3-4 miles per hour would be perfectly adequate.....in hindsight. But, hey, it's always nice to have more/faster/better, right?

Joe

Upvote 0
I've had the tesla wall connector for 2 weeks now and it's been fine and very fancy. What I'm finding is the the car is actually in the garage most of the time and I'm not driving 273 miles every day (model 3 rwd) so I'm kinda thinking simply charging with the 110v wall socket at 3-4 miles per hour would be perfectly adequate.....in hindsight. But, hey, it's always nice to have more/faster/better, right?

Joe
Level 1 charging (120V charging) as compared to Level 2 (240V) charging has been shown to be less efficient by 10% to 15%. 120V charging takes longer so there are greater accumulated overhead losses, other losses compared to 240V charging. That alone is reason to prefer Level 2 charging over the slower Level 1 alternative.

Reactions: GSP and Redekw
Upvote 0
I'm kinda thinking simply charging with the 110v wall socket at 3-4 miles per hour would be perfectly adequate.....in hindsight. But, hey, it's always nice to have more/faster/better, right?
I did that before I got my EVSE, and even slow L2 charging is big worth it. With L1, you have to keep it plugged in almost full time to catch up for a week's driving.

Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0

Joe
Depending on how much you drive level 1 can cost an extra $800 or more a year in electricity costs. Especially if you have cheap nighttime rates since most level 1 charging would happen during peak times. So feel good about your level 2.

Reactions: GSP and outdoors
Upvote 0
Another vote for Tesla High Power Wall Connector (HPWC). We installed the first one (version 2) nearly 6 years ago on an exterior wall at home and it’s still going strong. Installed the second (also version 2) in a detached garage about 3 years ago. Also working flawlessly.

Last year we installed a ChargePoint Home Flex in our vacation home. I selected that for renter-friendly J1772 compatibility, also more reliable remote control (disable charging when property is vacant) and fine-grained usage tracking.

We’re at the vacation home now with our Model S and daughter’s family Model Y. It’s a minor pain dealing with the J1772 adapter and charger cable while juggling the iPhone app.

Tesla HPWC benefits:
- Convenient one-hand operation - a single button press with the hand holding the charge plug to open the charge port or to stop charging and unlock the charge port.

- Rock solid reliability.

- Multi-charger operation with smooth power sharing using v3 or v2. But not a mix.

- Version 3 now has good remote operation. Tesla started deploying their HPWC v3 with J1772 plug at Supercharger sites to satisfy subsidy/code requirements. They were motivated to invest the effort.

Upvote 0