Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to know if I'm getting someone else's reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second delivery date set (9/17 - first one 8/3 was delayed a few days before the date and then indefinitely postponed). Curious if there's a way to know if the car was previously rejected and/or repainted etc? tia

Of course not, but the again, the real question is ignorance versus bliss.

More like ignorance vs. problems in 5 years when the half-assed second paint job starts to peel. Not sure what other manufacturers/dealerships do, but they really should just disclose the defect and sell the car at a discount to someone who's willing to take the risk.

Why would people be uncomfortable posting VINs of cars they weren’t buying?
Because it is a very common practice for ALL dealers to repair transportation chips and other issues from the factory.

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

They just have a big lot in back that they can prep and repair the cars before they move them into the “for sale” lot.

Plus, what if they waited 3 months to post it - and it matches your vin? All perfectly legal.

Because it is a very common practice for ALL dealers to repair transportation chips and other issues from the factory.

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

They just have a big lot in back that they can prep and repair the cars before they move them into the “for sale” lot.

Plus, what if they waited 3 months to post it - and it matches your vin? All perfectly legal.

Nobody is questioning the legality. It’s just information and I’m sure people would like to know the history of their car. I know I would. :)

Second delivery date set (9/17 - first one 8/3 was delayed a few days before the date and then indefinitely postponed). Curious if there's a way to know if the car was previously rejected and/or repainted etc? tia
Driver's side door, where the VIN is. The sticker there has a manufactured date. It's just month/year, but if you got it early in the month, then you'd expect its manufacture month to be the previous month. If it's 2 month's old, it was likely a reject. If you got your car at the end of the month, it probably should have been manufactured in that month. If you get it in the middle of the month, then the manufacture month should be the previous month, so it's possible it was a reject that was quickly fixed, but since most body shops take a while to do the work, it would be unlikely.

Remember Martin Tripp’s list of vins with allegedly punctured batteries?

Those with vins on the list cared less than the nancies here worried about Tesla fixing some bumps in the paint.

I have a friend that works in BMWs paint shop.

You realize that all cars coming off the factory line need some form of paint correction? Or said another way.. even if the car wasn’t “rejected” it could have a paint problem that was seen at the factory that they repainted there.

Elon’s tweets said they are repainting doors, hoods, etc.

There really isn’t anything we can do about it.

Side note: My friend at BMW said they put the cars in this bright room where you can see 1 million paint defects all over the vehicle. And they have a certain amount of time to fix as many of the obvious ones as possible. He said they never give them enough time to truly make the car perfect but most of the defects are not visible to a regular person without the right types of light.

Reactions: jsrawa