TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is there a way to know if I'm getting someone else's reject?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ucla95, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ucla95

ucla95 Member

Second delivery date set (9/17 - first one 8/3 was delayed a few days before the date and then indefinitely postponed). Curious if there's a way to know if the car was previously rejected and/or repainted etc? tia

2. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Look for overspray on any of the glass panels.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. kwazi7

kwazi7 Member

Does it really matter ?

I mean.. do you really want to know who your girl/guy has been with before you? Better to live in ignorance :)

• Funny x 4
  4. ucla95

ucla95 Member

LOL. But in all seriousness who would want to pay full price for a repainted car? It seems like many of the flaws I've read on this site have been paint issues.

5. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Of course not, but the again, the real question is ignorance versus bliss.

6. tvisdog

tvisdog Supporting Member

More like ignorance vs. problems in 5 years when the half-assed second paint job starts to peel. Not sure what other manufacturers/dealerships do, but they really should just disclose the defect and sell the car at a discount to someone who's willing to take the risk.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. ucla95

ucla95 Member

8. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Just have a professional detailer with his digital coating (paint) thickness gauge measure the body panels for detection of prior repair/repainting, or buy your own gauge.
    I hired my detailer/PPF shop ahead of delivery, and the shop owner inspected the finish at the delivery for free.

• Like x 1
  9. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Many state laws require car dealers to disclose new car repairs only if the repair cost exceeds a specific threshold (e.g. 3% to 5% of retail cost.)

10. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I started a thread with the thought of collecting rejected car VIN numbers. Of course, mostly it didn't go over well...

• Like x 1
  11. ucla95

ucla95 Member

Why would people be uncomfortable posting VINs of cars they weren’t buying?

• Like x 1
  12. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Because it is a very common practice for ALL dealers to repair transportation chips and other issues from the factory.

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all

They just have a big lot in back that they can prep and repair the cars before they move them into the “for sale” lot.

Plus, what if they waited 3 months to post it - and it matches your vin? All perfectly legal.

13. notAnExpert

notAnExpert Member

As a potential buyer of a Model 3, I'd have loved to see this happen. Why didn't it go over well?

14. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Nobody is questioning the legality. It’s just information and I’m sure people would like to know the history of their car. I know I would. :)

15. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Rejected Delivery VINs.

16. drawfour

drawfour Member

Driver's side door, where the VIN is. The sticker there has a manufactured date. It's just month/year, but if you got it early in the month, then you'd expect its manufacture month to be the previous month. If it's 2 month's old, it was likely a reject. If you got your car at the end of the month, it probably should have been manufactured in that month. If you get it in the middle of the month, then the manufacture month should be the previous month, so it's possible it was a reject that was quickly fixed, but since most body shops take a while to do the work, it would be unlikely.

17. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Remember Martin Tripp’s list of vins with allegedly punctured batteries?

Those with vins on the list cared less than the nancies here worried about Tesla fixing some bumps in the paint.

18. Dinozero

Dinozero Member

I have a friend that works in BMWs paint shop.

You realize that all cars coming off the factory line need some form of paint correction? Or said another way.. even if the car wasn’t “rejected” it could have a paint problem that was seen at the factory that they repainted there.

Elon’s tweets said they are repainting doors, hoods, etc.

There really isn’t anything we can do about it.

Side note: My friend at BMW said they put the cars in this bright room where you can see 1 million paint defects all over the vehicle. And they have a certain amount of time to fix as many of the obvious ones as possible. He said they never give them enough time to truly make the car perfect but most of the defects are not visible to a regular person without the right types of light.

• Like x 1
  19. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

What do people think of it’s posted after the second person takes delivery?

20. Chak

Chak Member

I asked my IDA if the vin assigned to me was a reject and he said it's not.