Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to mount wider than stock 19 inch tires on my P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to get wider tires for better acceleration traction however I do not want to compromise ride quality and go with a larger 21 inch wheel to do so. So for example wider 19 inch rims so instead of doing 245s all around I could do to 265s all around

You can also buy lighter wheels and stickier performance tires for better acceleration... Which is the upgrade I did going from Continental ContiSportContacts on heavy (cast) Turbines to stickier Michelin Pilot Super Sports on significantly lighter (forged) Arachnids on our 2015 P85D+. The forged Arachnids definitely accelerate, steer and absorb bumps better. Unsprung weight matters.

You can also buy lighter wheels and stickier performance tires for better acceleration... Which is the upgrade I did going from Continental ContiSportContacts on heavy (cast) Turbines to stickier Michelin Pilot Super Sports on significantly lighter (forged) Arachnids on our 2015 P85D+. The forged Arachnids definitely accelerate, steer and absorb bumps better. Unsprung weight matters.
Interesting! Are your arachrids 19s? I thought they only came in 21s. Do you have a picture of this set up

Interesting! Are your Arachnids 19s? I thought they only came in 21s. Do you have a picture of this set up

No Arachnids for Model S are only 21"... 245's in front, 265's in rear.

IMG_4896.JPG

So you’re saying that your anachrids also absorb bumps better? Better than stock 19s or better than original 21s? I also have the plus :) — 2014 p85dl+

Yes IMHO our Arachnids absorb bumps better because they're significantly lighter and thus more controlled by the shocks than the much heavier Turbines. Unsprung weight matters. I always thought the Turbines that came with our P85DL+ were too heavy for the shocks... which was confirmed when I replaced them with Arachnids. Ride & handling are perfect now. :)

Yes IMHO our Arachnids absorb bumps better because they're significantly lighter and thus more controlled by the shocks than the much heavier Turbines. Unsprung weight matters. I always thought the Turbines that came with our P85DL+ were too heavy for the shocks... which was confirmed when I replaced them with Arachnids. Ride & handling are perfect now. :)
Turbines - 21s - I can see that. But about anachrid vs 19s?

Turbines - 21s - I can see that. But about anachrid vs 19s?

21" Tesla Arachnids vs. 19" Tesla standard wheel weights per https://electrek.co/2017/03/13/tesla-arachnid-wheels-first-test/

After being among the first Tesla owners to receive the new forged aluminum Arachnid wheels, DragTimes performed a few tests and weighed them in comparison to the original 21″ Turbine wheels.

The result is about 34 lbs weight reduction and no tire spin, but also no noticeable performance spec improvements.

After weighing the wheels, Brooks from DragTimes figured that the forged instead of cast wheels save 10 lbs per wheel in the back and 7 lbs in the front.

It also saves a few pounds versus the stock 19″ wheels.
I believe it has also been discussed in other TMC threads... and of course Google search will provide info too.

More importantly, IMHO Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on staggered 21" Arachnids should outperform any 19" tire / wheel combination on dry pavement both in straight line acceleration and even more so when cornering / braking.

YMMV

Professional Driver, Closed Course

• Informative
Reactions: tubaprde
21" Tesla Arachnids vs. 19" Tesla standard wheel weights per https://electrek.co/2017/03/13/tesla-arachnid-wheels-first-test/

After being among the first Tesla owners to receive the new forged aluminum Arachnid wheels, DragTimes performed a few tests and weighed them in comparison to the original 21″ Turbine wheels.

The result is about 34 lbs weight reduction and no tire spin, but also no noticeable performance spec improvements.

After weighing the wheels, Brooks from DragTimes figured that the forged instead of cast wheels save 10 lbs per wheel in the back and 7 lbs in the front.

It also saves a few pounds versus the stock 19″ wheels.
I believe it has also been discussed in other TMC threads... and of course Google search will provide info too.

More importantly, IMHO Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on staggered 21" Arachnids should outperform any 19" tire / wheel combination on dry pavement both in straight line acceleration and even more so when cornering / braking.

YMMV

Professional Driver, Closed Course
Damn thanks that’s somebody interesting info right there! I had an opportunity to buy arachnids and pss’ with the car for $4k but I passed. Will revisit! Thx

Damn thanks that’s somebody interesting info right there! I had an opportunity to buy Arachnids and PSS’ with the car for $4k but I passed. Will revisit! Thx

I bought our brand new set of Arachnids & PSS tires mounted and balanced with TPMS & center caps from a Tesla referral recipient for $2,800 last year who had them on Craigslist. Prices are probably a bit higher now but I'm guessing if you're patient and shop Craigslist and TMC you can find a set for ~ $3,000... which is a steal considering the tires alone cost $1,400 mounted & balanced including taxes. I had Tesla install the Arachnids + PSS (for free since the referral included installation) so they could change my cars graphics to show the Arachnids... then drove to America's Tire and bought 4 Tire Certificates (100% replacement cost road hazard warranty). Already replaced one rear tire (BIG nasty puncture) which would have cost more than all 4 Tire Certificates.

I also found a Signature Tesla Wall Connector for our son early this month for $375 from another Tesla referral recipient who had them on Craigslist. Love the referral program & Craigslist. :cool:

I agree that 35 profile is close to optimal given the selection for the road tyres, but I am almost sure the car is still traction limited. I am betting on smaller and lighter wheels, and I chose relatively light-weight 20'' wheels with MS Cup 2's in 255/40 and 285/35 for my P100D. I will report how that fares vs. my friend's Arachnids and PSS when I get the car and the wheels. Light weight, lower pressure (to increase contact patch) and sticky tires should make a difference. If it doesn't improve the acceleration, I will sell the kit to BMW guys and go for Vossens :)

The main issue with such set up is that there are few light-weight wheels that can carry the portly Tesla. TSW has a few relatively budget light-weight wheels, Oz had nothing exciting (Ultraleggeras and others are a no-go for P100D due to rear axle load), a small mix of others and then you have a few forged ones, which are are terribly expensive. MS should have been designed with twin tyres in the back.