Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is there a work around to purchase oem gemini winter tire package from Tesla if MYP owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that the option for me to purchase Tesla's Gemini Wheel/Winter Tire package ($2500) is blocked on my Tesla App account because i am a MYP owner. Does anyone know if there is a work around to purchasing these directly from Tesla and getting them installed? My only other ideas are to ask a friend, non-MYP owner to purchase on my behalf and then pay back; alternatively, could I have a family member get a Tesla App account with no car attached and order through that? Other ideas?

Thanks.

Tesla will only sell the Model Y 19" Gemini wheel and winter tire package to a registered owner of a Model Y, Long Range Model Y; not a Performance Model Y.

Best option would be to purchase a set of Gemini wheels on Craig's list or eBay. Then purchase the tires separately. If you purchase take off Gemini wheels be sure the TPMS sensors are included, else these cost $95 each from Tesla.

Alternately, skip the Gemini wheels and get some 19" wheels from TSportline, Martian or one of the many aftermarket wheel sellers. (TSportline sells an 18" wheel that is guaranteed to fit the Performance Model Y.) There may be more choices in 18" winter tires, the 18" tires may cost less than 19".

Last edited:
Tesla will only sell the Model Y 19" Gemini wheel and winter tire package to a registered owner of a Model Y, Long Range Model Y; not a Performance Model Y.

Best option would be to purchase a set of Gemini wheels on Craig's list or eBay. Then purchase the tires separately. If you purchase take off Gemini wheels be sure the TPMS sensors are included, else these cost $95 each from Tesla.

Alternately, skip the Gemini wheels and get some 19" wheels from TSportline, Martian or one of the many aftermarket wheel sellers. (TSportline sells an 18" wheel that is guaranteed to fit the Performance Model Y.) There may be more choices in 18" winter tires, the 18" tires may cost less than 19".
He can also get a set of TPMS sensors for a lot less on eBay if he’s sourcing the wheels from there also.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
But what about just reimbursing my buddy in town who has a MYLR order the Gemini Winter Whee/Tire set for $2500 off his Tesla app and then putting them on my car? That deal from Tesla seems pretty good for brand new oem Geminis, TPMS, and winter tires. Down side? Maybe I couldn't get our Telsa SC to install them on my car as that is also included in price. But I could get that done somewhere else cheap. Any other down sides?

But what about just reimbursing my buddy in town who has a MYLR order the Gemini Winter Whee/Tire set for $2500 off his Tesla app and then putting them on my car? That deal from Tesla seems pretty good for brand new oem Geminis, TPMS, and winter tires. Down side? Maybe I couldn't get our Telsa SC to install them on my car as that is also included in price. But I could get that done somewhere else cheap. Any other down sides?
I see no downside. You might have to take the Gemini wheels to a local shop to be installed as Tesla Mobile Service might not be authorized to install Gemini wheels on a Performance Model Y (or they may do it.). Any tire center can perform this service.

I see no downside. You might have to take the Gemini wheels to a local shop to be installed as Tesla Mobile Service might not be authorized to install Gemini wheels on a Performance Model Y (or they may do it.). Any tire center can perform this service.
Agree. And I don't think that the wheel is the issue for Tesla not selling them to MYP owners -- I think it is the winter tire rating that comes with the wheels -- don't want me doing 155mph on those. ;-)

Agree. And I don't think that the wheel is the issue for Tesla not selling them to MYP owners -- I think it is the winter tire rating that comes with the wheels -- don't want me doing 155mph on those. ;-)
If you did try your hand at ice track racing with the winter wheel and tire package I doubt the Performance Model Y could exceed much over 100 MPH on snow and ice.

why do you want the performance? If it’s just the better acceleration you can get a LR and buy the performance boost.
Technically, you still wouldn't match an MYP.

That said, for some people, myself included.... probably can't even really tell the difference at these speeds. I mean, its just plain fast.

Finally, you do realize that the OP already has the MYP? So it's a moot point to suggest getting something else.

I was told by the SC when I got my MYP that the geminis won’t fit over the performance calipers. So I got the induction winter wheel/tire pkg.

Try tirerack. Enter your vehicle, select winter tire/wheel option. They come installed any balanced, and you can have them ship to a local tire shop or to your house if you wrench. A lot of choices, typically, and you may find a nicer wheel than the Geminis or 20” ones. I personally like more tire than wheel for winter, so if they show an 18” fitting, you may want to consider it.

Tesla does not make wheels nor tires, and tire shops do this for a living. just saying because these, like brakes, are not a thing that you need to go to Tesla for(I’ve worked on cars for 50 years).

If you like the Gemini wheels better, then the take off used market might be good place to look at.

Last edited:
Try tirerack. Enter your vehicle, select winter tire/wheel option. They come installed any balanced, and you can have them ship to a local tire shop or to your house if you wrench. A lot of choices, typically, and you may find a nicer wheel than the Geminis or 20” ones. I personally like more tire than wheel for winter, so if they show an 18” fitting, you may want to consider it.

Tesla does not make wheels nor tires, and tire shops do this for a living. just saying because these, like brakes, are not a thing that you need to go to Tesla for(I’ve worked on cars for 50 years).

If you like the Gemini wheels better, then the take off used market might be good place to look at.
They don't in this case since they currently do not sell the TPM sensors. :( They'll sell the tires/wheels to you individually. But then you will need to find a shop to put all three (tire/wheel/TPM sensor) together and balance them. This pretty much negates any TireRack cost savings.

They don't in this case since they currently do not sell the TPM sensors. :( They'll sell the tires/wheels to you individually. But then you will need to find a shop to put all three (tire/wheel/TPM sensor) together and balance them. This pretty much negates any TireRack cost savings.
EVERY tire wheel combo I have purchased from Tire Rack HAD the tires/wheels And TPMS sensors already installed. Twice I even drove to their Spark warehouse to pick them up.

Does Tesla MY not have the ability to register TPMS Sensors from the display console? If not, I wonder how they got DOT approval?

EDIT - I just checked tire rack. $2500 including tax and shipping for new 19” tires, wheels AND new TPMS sensors, which CAN be registered from the Tesla console. So bolt on, torque the lug nuts and go or spend $24 more to have a local shop install.

Last edited:
Reactions: trm2
EVERY tire wheel combo I have purchased from Tire Rack HAD the tires/wheels And TPMS sensors already installed. Twice I even drove to their Spark warehouse to pick them up.

Does Tesla MY not have the ability to register TPMS Sensors from the display console? If not, I wonder how they got DOT approval?

EDIT - I just checked tire rack. $2500 including tax and shipping for new 19” tires, wheels AND new TPMS sensors, which CAN be registered from the Tesla console. So bolt on, torque the lug nuts and go or spend $24 more to have a local shop install.
Which specific wheels and tires are you quoting? Would you mind pasting link?
Thanks.