Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an update on out of warranty battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempting to convince people to purchase Tesla, I been getting feedback from them that it is too costly to change a bad battery. I would like to give them assurances that it would not cost that much; i.e. over 10K+. What do you recommend that I say to would be buyers if battery replacement was not so expensive?

I turn the question back around on them, and ask them why they don’t ask the BMW dealership how much it cost to replace the engine. They usually reply, that’s because the engine lasts around 200,000 miles. The battery will last longer than that. My 2016 Model S, with 116,000 miles has a little over 7% degradation. I have not "babied" the battery, but I try to be prudent. Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery. Degradation, is only covered if it is more than 30%. At my rate, that would be around 500,000 miles.

Upvote 0
There is no update, it is about $20k and that is for a reduced warranty compared to new.

Engines can be rebuilt by independent shops and also used engines are an option. And in few cases are they $20k. And many survive well past 200k.

Sorry to say, but battery cost and replacement possibilities are a real issue. And it isn't because of the 30% degradation - which is not covered under warranty for lots of us (including all 2016 cars). There is also no battery that has survived 500k miles. Every car with that mileage is not on its first battery.

The reality is, there is a chance at 8 years and a day, you are salvaging the car because of the battery. And you could have 50k miles.

The other reality is, there are very few people with 8 years on their Tesla. Sales in 2012 were like 3,000. The first half of 2013 is closer to 10,000. The clock is ticking on the rest of us.....

Until Tesla does better, I do not recommend buying the cars if you care about sustainability or long term costs.

Upvote 0
Attempting to convince people to purchase Tesla, I been getting feedback from them that it is too costly to change a bad battery. I would like to give them assurances that it would not cost that much; i.e. over 10K+. What do you recommend that I say to would be buyers if battery replacement was not so expensive?
It’s $20K to replace a MS/MX battery.

I would never own a Tesla outside of warranty and I don’t recommend anyone else does either.

This is what happens when companies do not embrace right to repair.

Upvote 0
I turn the question back around on them, and ask them why they don’t ask the BMW dealership how much it cost to replace the engine. They usually reply, that’s because the engine lasts around 200,000 miles. The battery will last longer than that. My 2016 Model S, with 116,000 miles has a little over 7% degradation. I have not "babied" the battery, but I try to be prudent. Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery. Degradation, is only covered if it is more than 30%. At my rate, that would be around 500,000 miles.
People generally know how much a new engine costs. They also know that if a spark plug goes out they don’t need to replace the entire engine.

With Tesla, most any issue with the HV battery requires a full replacement. They will not crack open the pack and address the root cause. Which is both wasteful and prohibitively expensive for the average consumer.

Upvote 0
Very one-sided answers here. There are people on the forum that have shown Tesla repair bills where the Model S battery pack was exchanged (with a rebuilt one) for $12k to $14k. Not sure what other engine rebuilds cost, but my Cadillac Allante had both a $9K engine rebuild (at 75,000 miles) and a transmission rebuilt at about 60,000 miles which set me back another $5k. Suddenly $14k for a battery at 200,000+ miles does not seem so bad.

BTW, there are already some independent shops that can fix many HV battery issues for a fraction of the cost Tesla asks for a replacement (search the forum here). There will be more 3rd parties, just as with engine rebuilds, as more Teslas are past their battery warranty.

Upvote 0
I received a "remanufactured" pack early this year. Now my warranty is done, and since it was a warranty replacement there's no coverage for the replaced battery.
I was hoping for the new pack, which I think is a 350V based on the 100 pack; it has more range than the original 85 and supercharging would be back to normal. I'd have a difficult decision to make if my battery goes and I have the option for a $10k reman and a $20k new.

Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
I received a "remanufactured" pack early this year. Now my warranty is done, and since it was a warranty replacement there's no coverage for the replaced battery.
I was hoping for the new pack, which I think is a 350V based on the 100 pack; it has more range than the original 85 and supercharging would be back to normal. I'd have a difficult decision to make if my battery goes and I have the option for a $10k reman and a $20k new.
What state sir? so I know if that would be available to me...

Upvote 0
Adding a data point for out of warranty battery replacement for those interested…2013 S85, 135k miles, $10,500 quote for remanufactured pack (1088815-01-B) plus 2hr labor ($380) plus tax ($630). With a 4yr/50k warranty, this won out for me over going a 3rd party repair.

Now that is reasonable!
Mostly what I have heard of to date was $12k for refurb with a 1 year warranty and $22k for new with 4 year warranty. $12k for 4 more years (guaranteed) is quite good. But $22k is not (for me at least).

Upvote 0
There are other options that cost much less than $12k. Gruber Motors, Electrified Garage or 057Tech may be able to do main battery repair for close to or less than $5k:

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0

Exactly why I'd never own a BMW. With 2 million+ miles of driving in 40 years, it's rare that I've kept a Toyota or Lexus with anything less than 300K miles before selling them and have never had a major repair with any of those products.

Upvote 0
Very one-sided answers here. There are people on the forum that have shown Tesla repair bills where the Model S battery pack was exchanged (with a rebuilt one) for $12k to $14k. Not sure what other engine rebuilds cost, but my Cadillac Allante had both a $9K engine rebuild (at 75,000 miles) and a transmission rebuilt at about 60,000 miles which set me back another $5k. Suddenly $14k for a battery at 200,000+ miles does not seem so bad.

BTW, there are already some independent shops that can fix many HV battery issues for a fraction of the cost Tesla asks for a replacement (search the forum here). There will be more 3rd parties, just as with engine rebuilds, as more Teslas are past their battery warranty.

Same reason that I'd never buy a BMW that I'd never by a Cadillac either despite having owned a few Corvettes.

Upvote 0
The problem with the pack repair for still thousands of $, is that although it may not cost what an all new pack or a refurb will cost, its a pack with limited life. Replacing the few modules that went too far out of tolerance is a short term fix. The other modules will follow soon if it's a high mileage pack. Even a Tesla refurb is just a repaired pack.

Reactions: Baumisch
Upvote 0