Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any difference between the old center console and the new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new console looks a bit better integrated and the lines are a little bit different. If it's the same one that's in Model X, Elon said that it's much easier to insert your smartphone into the cradle. There is no decor match with the new console, all the non-leather(ette) surfaces appear to be matte black plastic.

When I ordered my Model S in April there was no option for a center console, now it appears there is an option in the design studio. I've got an estimated delivery of July / Early August and the car is already built and on the ocean on it's way to the UK... do you think my car has the new console or not? Do you think Tesla will add one for free if I complain that it's not there (assuming it's not)?

When I ordered my Model S in April there was no option for a center console, now it appears there is an option in the design studio. I've got an estimated delivery of July / Early August and the car is already built and on the ocean on it's way to the UK... do you think my car has the new console or not? Do you think Tesla will add one for free if I complain that it's not there (assuming it's not)?
Great questions for your DS

I will be having the new Integrated Center Console installed on July 5th at my local Service Center. It has been on order for quite some time when Tesla Motors emailed those of us who had the older (no longer available) drop in center console on order. We were offered two options, one to keep the older drop in type or convert to the newer integrated style for about 2X the dollars. The newer integrated style also has two hidden pop out rear cup holders (just like the model X) and an optional iPhone Nest dock which is user installed only. Mine which was on order that very day (the email came out) has just arrived at my service center on the 24th of June. The Service Center notified my by email that it came in and gave me a date range for install.... nice! I shall take pictures of it when the work is done.

The padded arm rest bolsters and the wood trim (obeche matte) in my case is removed from the yacht floor existing console and is retrofitted to the new Integrated Console.

Hope this helps.... A fellow here on TMC had his installed in Early June, about the 5th.... so it has been slightly available since then. The new Integrated Console made it to the Tesla Gear website on or about June 14th....along with the iPhone docking station. I received an email from Tesla Gear that my nest has shipped out and will arrive this week.

It has been a very long wait for this console to arrive, about 6 months or so. Tesla Time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark