Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any other EV can even touch the M3 at $35K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $37K configuration is amazing good compared to ICEs $10K cheaper.
Can you find a $27K ICE of that size with those options, and that's even before you start to consider the acceleration and handling?
I think the Honda Accord and Camry optioned up are probably comparable, but not if you count driving qualities and certainly not with total cost of ownership taken into account. People that look at TOC should realize that a in the $25K+ range is comparable to the M3 if they plan to own it for a while. That will probably bring in a lot of new owners.

I think the Honda Accord and Camry optioned up are probably comparable, but not if you count driving qualities and certainly not with total cost of ownership taken into account. People that look at TOC should realize that a in the $25K+ range is comparable to the M3 if they plan to own it for a while. That will probably bring in a lot of new owners.

Find me an Accord or Camry with comparable autopilot ( NOA ).

There will of course be people partial to legacy automakers, or be scared away by the "bugginess" of a car that gets updated frequently. Or stories about Tesla's "unstable" leadership or looming bankwuptcy. The fact that many of these competitor vehicles qualify for the full 7,500 tax credit also may weigh in their favor for a brief period.

Everyone else will get a Model 3. And if you actually drive one before purchasing, it's even more of a no-brainer. Consider the Leaf, Bolt, Kona, etc. dead. Try harder, legacy automakers.

That moves the M3 into a higher bracket IMO. I'm talking about the M3 SR or SR+ w/o EAP.

Yeah, because if you want NoA now, you have to add $8000 ($3000 AP + $5000 FSD) since they moved NoA to FSD. I would have gladly trade my EAP for AP if they would refund me $2000. I don't really use NoA, Summon, or Auto Park. Auto Steer with TACC I use everyday.

Reactions: Donz_S
I'm going through the short list in my head and all I'm coming up with is NO. This is going to destroy even the new Leaf, the Bolt and everything else in this price range, not that that is a lot. Even a lot of ICE cars in the $25K to $35K space aren't looking too good here.

That's definitely an opinion from a Tesla person.

But a Leaf is currently selling for $22500 after tax credit, whereas the Model 3 is $31250. $10k may not be much to you, but it is to others.

And for $32,000, you can get one in red with TACC and even paint protection. Heck, in the Leaf, TACC AND Red are less than 20% of just Red in the Model 3.

That's definitely an opinion from a Tesla person.

But a Leaf is currently selling for $22500 after tax credit, whereas the Model 3 is $31250. $10k may not be much to you, but it is to others.

And for $32,000, you can get one in red with TACC and even paint protection. Heck, in the Leaf, TACC AND Red are less than 20% of just Red in the Model 3.
But that's the LOWEST end Leaf, it's not comparable to even the $35k M3. You have to go up to the mid-range at least plus their electronics package, so that's about $36K, IMO. Also, Nissan is going to lose their tax credit eventually too. They have 72K units left. By the way, I owned a Leaf before the M3. The difference is day and night.

This is pricing for the comparable range 2018 Leaf: "The base S Plus commands a premium of a $6560 over the standard-battery Leaf's starting price of $30,885, costing $37,445, while the SV Plus starts at $39,405 ($6020 more than the base SV) and the SL starts at $43,445 ($6350 more than the base SL). These prices hew closely to the aforementioned competitors, as the Kona Electric and Bolt EV both start $50 higher than the Leaf, at $37,495." - Yahoo

Last edited:
https://electrek.co/2019/03/01/the-nissan-leaf-plus-starts-at-36550/

The Leaf Plus starts at $36,550 if this article is to be believed.

From my post in the investors thread:
NissanTeslaKey Features
Leaf S Plus $36.5k3 SR $35k226/220 mi EPALeaf SV Plus $38.5k3 SR+ $37k226/240 mi EPA, fog lamps, improved audio (plus leatherette and powered/heated seats in the Tesla)Leaf SL Plus $42.5k3 MR plus AP $43k226/264 mi EPA, leather and heated seats in the Nissan, plus Nissan ProPILOT Assist & other Autopilot-like features

[TR]
[TR] [/TR][/TR]
[TR][TR][TR]

That's... not a very flattering comparison for the Leaf. The Leaf will have the full tax credit for the rest of this year (at least), so it's got that going for it. But I'm hard-pressed to come up with a reason why I'd buy any of those Leaf models over the similarly-priced 3.[/TR][/TR][/TR]