Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any point in installing a home charger?

Do I worry about the granny charger

• It's fine

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about installing a home charger but having trouble in justifying a £550 expense for what seems like very little actual benefit...

So I drive my Model 3 sporadically, probably 2 or 3 times a month to go reasonably substantial (200 mile) distances, and so far I've been surviving on the granny charger that gets me 5 miles/hour on the standard mains. This is almost always easily sufficient, if I ever come back empty the times I want to drive more then 50 miles immediately the next day (ie what I can get on a nighttime charge) is basically never. Leaving it on charge for a full day and it's full again.

The only real reason that I can see is a kindof vague threat of danger from the granny charger, every site on the internet seems to say "only for emergencies", but never justifies that. I struggle to believe that this thing is supplied with every car and also potentially dangerous. If it's dangerous I don't want to use it ever, if it isn't then I want to use it all the time.

What do people think - have we created ourselves into a bit of a groupthink myth? Or is there a benefit to dedicated charge point / disadvantage to 10A mains charging that I'm missing?

Reactions: GSP
I guess you could get away with using the granny charger. For convenience though, a dedicated charger gives you more flexibility for the window of opportunity to charge. For instance, you may be able to take advantage of cheap night rate electricity rather than leaving it plugged in all day long. Also, it's drawing a hefty load constantly off your domestic ring which isn't really designed for it. You could get away with it though depending on the age and condition of your wiring.

Having said all that, I've ordered a 7kw charger before I've even got the car, and I know I wont be doing that many miles so it might have been a waste of money :)

Reactions: Watts_Up
Actually I think for many a home charger is not absolutely necessary.
I have access to a free 11kWh charger a mile away and often just top up there.
The only time I charge at home is when Octopus have plunge pricing or I need to depart with a full (or near fully charged) battery . I can't see anything wrong with using the granny charger especially if you are low mileage user.

Speed is definitely of benefit but sounds like it isn't too important, also you may have the possibility of a ten minute boost at a SC.

I ordered one but have put it on hold as the granny is fine for my needs currently. Im going to see how I get on.

I believe there are many in the US that have reported no issues with long term granny use.

Thinking about installing a home charger but having trouble in justifying a £550 expense for what seems like very little actual benefit...

I'm sure most people could "survive" as you put it using the UMC supplied with the car. Even with a grant a home charge point is quite expensive. The advantages of a dedicated home charger are convenience and the ability to take advantage of short period cheap rate electricity tariffs. Having invested so much in the car I felt the extra expense would be justified. It is also an investment for the future, assuming I continue to have EVs, and is also a benefit for friends and family who may become EV owners. Unless going on an especially long trip I never have to think about going anywhere to "refuel" ... no concerns over whether a commercial charging point is going to work or what it may or may not cost. There's a great sense of reassurance if the car is always "ready to go".

The reliability of the UMC ... well all electrical items may pack in eventually, even installed charge points. If you treat it gently it should last. The safety aspect is that it will be plugged into a source that does not have the same level of earthing and RCD protection as is provided by a proper EV point. If there's a particular type of fault in the car your whole household electrics could (apparently) end up being unprotected by the existing RCD ... so if somebody came into contact with a live wire it would not cut out ... and they might be electrocuted i.e. die. But as far was I am aware this has never actually ever happened ... but it's a technical (and therefore real) possibility.

.....I drive my Model 3 sporadically, probably 2 or 3 times a month to go reasonably substantial (200 mile) distances, and so far I've been surviving on the granny charger that gets me 5 miles/hour on the standard mains..... This is almost always easily sufficient,

During the last war mine had a soldier as a lodger & didn't charge much per week - it was enough to get by though.

Depends on daily mileage and use. The worst case scenario is you get home with 10% charge and you need to do a long journey next day. Can be mitigated with a super charger nearby... I lived on a UMC charger for 1month whilst I waited for my home charger. I was at South Mymms every evening charging up for the next day as I do over 100 miles a day

Last edited:
If you are paying for it why does he object?

No real reason!

I said I'd pay for it and it was up to them what they wanted me to do if and when I left. I said I was happy to have it uninstalled or leave it as a future selling point. I also asked if they'd let me have one installed it if I bought one outright and paid their approved electrical contractors to install it but it's an absolute no from them.

Something to do with them not believing electric cars are the future and they think the risk of maintaining it if I leave outweighs the benefits...........

Even tried again after the last announcements about upgrading EV charging network and the provision of EV points on new development but still wouldn't have it!

I never heard of any danger using the granny charger, other than using an extension cord. If you plug directly into the outlet, that should be fine. I have been charging this way for over a year with no range issues. It is less-efficient though.

I'm coming up on a year in my M3 without a home charger (or off street parking). But I do have a (free) chargeplace Scotland rapid charger a 5 min walk away that I rely on. I also only use car for business trips (when those were still a thing), weekends and holidays. With covid I only put just under 5k miles on this year, but would have still been fine without a home charger. I think for most people it really depends on your driving habits. A colleague of mine has a eGolf and has to charge every day due to range and commute.

I've done about 8 months on the granny (all be it with a slightly upgraded 16A connection) and it's been fine. Been waiting for some building work to finish before moving to my installed-but-still-inacessible proper charger.

Biggest downside to the granny for me is caring for it. If I go away for the weekend I have to take it out its drybox (screwdriver needed) pack it up in the car, then reverse when I get home. It also isn't in the car for emergencies, which it should be really. Rest of the time it's fine.

Ha, almost as an after thought, it's not quite as safe as a properly installed solution. Like it's fine, but with a serious lack of care, or weird circumstances, it could zap someone. A full charger can't (shouldn't? Expert opinion pls...)

FWIW, I got a 7kw charger installed even though my head says I probably won't need it. One reason is that with the grants available it's not so much money compared to what I'm going to save on liquid dinosaurs, another is the "emergency" scenario, another is if I have visitors with EVs that might need a splash and dash, and the other is that I think it can't hurt if/when I come to sell the house if it's got one already.

But like you, for my expected usage pattern, it's a nice-to-have and not a necessity. But the Octopus thing is also a reason, my smart meter gets installed next week and load shifting could save money for sure (what the return on the investment might be is another question :) )

@Bertie_V I remembered wrong, you're right, it's more like 10mph. (even less use for a 'real' charger then!)

OK thanks everyone, I figure I probably will get one installed eventually but seems fine to live on this for now.
Just to add to the fry,

- Be able to charge at home at what ever speed is priceless,

- I have a granny charger that I keep always plugged, but I would get a second one or get a wall charger to avoid to unplug it too often if I had to take it with me.

- I have Time of Use, but I always plug when I park, even several time a day, in case I forget.

- I like to keep my car fully charged when I am at home, in case of emergency if you need to go to the hospital for example (parent, kid..)
and having to make a detour to a supercharger could be dramatic situation.