Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any special reason why red is more expensive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like white color because it's the most efficient in reflecting ambient light, so also the most environmentally friendly, as less energy is being used for cooling the car :)
I know, that's probably the very last thing most of the people consider when choosing the color :)
It may be the most efficient in the summer. But it is the least efficient in the winter. And efficiency is a much bigger problem in the winter. I haven't heard reports of cooling eating up more than 10% of your range. But there are tons of reports of the heater eating up more than 30%.

So I think that white is probably the least environmentally friendly unless you live in a location that doesn't have a winter.

but here in the US, white is now free and its the same paint as it was before (with all of the same complaints). Not sure if something is different in south korea though.

White is free because Elon and other Tesla company workers were sick of seeing so many black Teslas - so they changed it to White. Initially there was meant to be a single coat white and the old multicoat white but the single coat white apparently looked a bit *sugar* so the designers convinced Elon to just give the multicoat white as standard away. He tweeted about this a while ago.

The other issue is that if you dont charge many people are happy to have a black car, but a lot of people don't like white - especially in Europe white cars are hated so people are likely gonna spend extra for i.e. grey or blue.

It's their "signature" color so you pay a premium for it. Nothing more, nothing less.

There was a time when everyone associated Teslas with the Model S signature red colour. However, times have changed now and most people would associate Teslas either with black or Midnight Grey - certainly the most common colours people see nowadays.
Red Teslas are actually kinda rare.

There was a time when everyone associated Teslas with the Model S signature red colour. However, times have changed now and most people would associate Teslas either with black or Midnight Grey - certainly the most common colours people see nowadays.
Red Teslas are actually kinda rare.

Most of the press shots of the Model 3 are usually red. Its a pretty nice red.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It may be the most efficient in the summer. But it is the least efficient in the winter. And efficiency is a much bigger problem in the winter. I haven't heard reports of cooling eating up more than 10% of your range. But there are tons of reports of the heater eating up more than 30%.

So I think that white is probably the least environmentally friendly unless you live in a location that doesn't have a winter.
Yeah, it all depends on the local climate and if the car is parked in the garage, or just outside.
Another advantage of the white, or lighter colors, in general, is that the car is easier to spot, so theoretically safer :)

Yeah, it all depends on the local climate and if the car is parked in the garage, or just outside.
Another advantage of the white, or lighter colors, in general, is that the car is easier to spot, so theoretically safer :)
Until it snows. Then you're driving a car that is camouflaged at exactly the same time when being seen is more important than normal.

Reactions: teaston
All that aside, I just don't understand why Tesla doesn't change colors or shades every year, like most manufacturers? It would help distinguishing cars by model year. I mean, my car being silver, everyone knows that it's a 2018, but others? I have no clue.

i agree. Or Performance specific colours. I’m going to order an M3P next spring (not much point now with COVID here, new features coming and snow coming soon): and I’d pay extra for a yellow one. Yellow has traditionally been a performance car colour (Corvettes and Ferraris have always had yellow options), so I’d love a yellow M3P.

Reactions: KenC
I don't know anything scientific about colors, but I have a good friend who owns a body shop and of course he paints cars. Yes, he said, different colors (and quality) do cost different amounts. If ingredients are more environmentally friendly (which Tesla would use) higher quality and more durable, etc. then those colors would cost more. Plus, number of coats effect cost. I have a new red M3 (I've had it 10 days) and I didn't mind paying the 2k extra for the beautiful red. It is stunning!

The major item missing in this thread is a basic understanding manufacturing cost vs. selling price. The two are not as directly linked as you would believe.

The selling price is based on what the market will bear. If it cost 5x more for Tesla to make the red painted car, the market would not be willing to pay that.

Reactions: dmurphy
Or it could simply be as Elon said. The Red takes longer to apply correctly. That limits production, so he charges more for it. Cars painted other colors can be churned out faster and garner more profits.
Charging more for red reduces demand, so he can get more cars out...faster.

If it remember correctly, when Tesla was first ramping the Model 3 line, they had two pain points. Batteries and the paint shop. At the time, there where several articles about red making a complete mess of the paint shop requiring extra cleanup and more labor. Of course this was in 2018, and its now almost 2021. I'm sure things have changed....

I think I paid $2k for red in 2018. Its been a while.

Red paint costs more. The dye I think. If you just go to buy professional paint from a paint store, the price varies on the color. Red is more expensive than white. That’s without any other things like metallic etc.
Arguably, pearl white is notoriously a PITA to match especially on different materials and thus can cost just as much to do properly.

I don’t really get why Tesla switched from Black being the “free.99” color since it’s the cheapest to spray. Perhaps that and a plain white.