Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something wrong with the battery? Any waterproof case for the key or drop-pr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so sad today. One of my car key was broken when i back from the trip. I don't know what's wrong with it. I just can’t use it. :cursing:
Yesterday it dropped into the water; I pick it up quickly, and then when i press the button, no any reaction.
Is there something wrong with the battery? Any waterproof case for the key or drop-proof case for the key? How to deal with it? :eek:

Remove the battery and then put it into a bag of uncooked rice for two weeks to get the moisture out of it. Water inside of it would change the tuning of the radio and it would no longer be on frequency. If it was salt water it is probably not recoverable since salt water is a conductor and would short out the electronics. For future reference you should not have tried to use it while it was wet. The procedure is to immediately remove the battery and then put it into a desiccant (rice) to absorb the water.

Remove the battery and then put it into a bag of uncooked rice for two weeks to get the moisture out of it. Water inside of it would change the tuning of the radio and it would no longer be on frequency. If it was salt water it is probably not recoverable since salt water is a conductor and would short out the electronics. For future reference you should not have tried to use it while it was wet. The procedure is to immediately remove the battery and then put it into a desiccant (rice) to absorb the water.

Two weeks in rice is a bit much... a day or two should do fine. A lot of people use the rice as a desiccant, but it's not been proven to be a very good one regardless of the advice on the internet. It certainly won't hurt, just probably doesn't help much on such a small item. I would also remove the battery as soon as you can, keep it open to help it dry out faster. Replace the battery with a new one after the key has dried for a day or two. There isn't a lot of difference between salt water and tap water in this case, both are problematic, especially if you try to use the key when it is wet.

Do not try to operate the key. Take out the battery, let it dry for a day or two. Replace the battery after you see it is dry and see what happens.

Good luck!

If you drop any electronics into water then drop it again but this time into distilled/deionized water, wash it out and let it dry. If you simply dry it, the dissolved salt in the water precipitates on the circuit and causes a quick oxidation of the metal connections. It doesn't kill it immediately but probably will in weeks/months later.

Now I'm hungry. Key Fob Sushi anyone?

IMG_0692.JPG

Two weeks in rice is a bit much... a day or two should do fine. A lot of people use the rice as a desiccant, but it's not been proven to be a very good one regardless of the advice on the internet. It certainly won't hurt, just probably doesn't help much on such a small item. I would also remove the battery as soon as you can, keep it open to help it dry out faster. Replace the battery with a new one after the key has dried for a day or two. There isn't a lot of difference between salt water and tap water in this case, both are problematic, especially if you try to use the key when it is wet.

Do not try to operate the key. Take out the battery, let it dry for a day or two. Replace the battery after you see it is dry and see what happens.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice.I dried the key with my hair drier .
I'll replace the battery tomorrow and see what will happens.