Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a sweet deal on a p85d ludicrous? Thank you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price: $53,300, private party sale
-Tesla extended to Jan. 2023 (almost 4 yrs)
-51k miles
-Loaded with every option minus cold weather
-No accidents, 2 owners
-Ludicrous
-HOV sticker good for two more years
-18” oem wheels, 80% tread on Michelins
-Paint and interior in excellent shape considering mileage.
-Seller said 80% charge is 210-220 miles

I think it’s good deal compared to what I’ve been seeing in the market over the last 2 months, but I’m brand new to the Tesla market and Telsas in general. Driving this car out a huge smile on my face! :) ...also I was afraid to buy the most likely v1 90 pack ludicrous’ for the high 50s to low 60s because of the documented issues they have. I will be supercharging 99% of time.

Ok thanks, interesting. So you might pay up for a 1 year newer 90DL with say 10k less miles. It would be about $7-10k additional I think.

Edit: I should point out that I think I would be paying an p85d price but getting ludicrous and peace of mind since it’s private party for free (vs dealing with the cpo program at Tesla)

Ok thanks, interesting. So you might pay up for a 1 year newer 90DL with say 10k less miles. It would be about $7-10k additional I think.

Edit: I should point out that I think I would be paying an p85d price but getting ludicrous and peace of mind since it’s private party for free (vs dealing with the cpo program at Tesla)

If you buy Tesla CPO you get the warranty boost. Most importantly 8 years on the battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: tubaprde
The CPO 8 year is unlimited mileage on the battery. The 4/50k is on the drive train. If you buy a CPO you get 4/50k + 8 unlimited battery.

If you love the car make the deal. If you want battery protection, get a CPO. Its the reason most of us by CPOs, for the big ass warranties.

• Disagree
Most importantly 8 years on the battery.
If you buy a CPO you get 4/50k + 8 unlimited battery.

I think you have some of the facts mixed up. Almost all Model S+X cars come with the 8-year, unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive unit. It has nothing to do with buying a CPO (now "used") Tesla.

See: Vehicle Warranty

upload_2019-2-23_23-23-24.png

OK but this car has the same extended warranty as the cpo because the seller bought the 4yr/50k additional a month ago and that will transfer with the car (see notes from first post)...sorry I should have clarified that

Just FYI, it's not exactly the same. The Extended Service Agreement ("ESA" --which the previous owner bought) has a $200 per visit deductible. The CPO warranty does not (it is more like an extension of the factory warranty).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh and tubaprde
No way the car gets 210-220 miles at 80% charge. He probably meant 90% charge, so a 100% charge would be in the 233-244 miles range which is a little on the lower end but still within expected degradation for age and mileage.

Otherwise seems like a fair deal if car is in good condition.

Just FYI, it's not exactly the same. The Extended Service Agreement ("ESA" --which the previous owner bought) has a $200 per visit deductible. The CPO warranty does not (it is more like an extension of the factory warranty).
Ahh ok so the only difference is a $200/ded. per visit.... I thought I read somewhere that people are not being charged that $200, but maybe that’s just some people

I think you have some of the facts mixed up. Almost all Model S+X cars come with the 8-year, unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive unit. It has nothing to do with buying a CPO (now "used") Tesla.

See: Vehicle Warranty

View attachment 380076

My point is that when you buy a CPO, you get 8 year battery warranty from the day you buy the CPO. This current battery warranty expires in 2022 (bought in 2014). Buying a CPO would extend the battery warranty to 2027.

See below -- Used 2014 Model S 85 -- only has 4 years left on the battery+drive unit warranty.

upload_2019-2-24_11-3-26.png

If you buy a CPO you get 4/50k + 8 unlimited battery.

Not all used cars get a 4/50k CPO warranty. Any used cars 2013 or earlier (6 years old or more), or newer used cars (2014 or later) with more than 50,000 miles, only get a 2 year, 100k maximum odometer limited warranty (like the image above, 2014 but has 61k miles).

correct. also see door jam for which month it expires
But wait what you are referring to is the “build date/manufacture date”...that’s not necessarily the same though right? A car can be sold months or years after the manufactured date....the date that is important is usually called the “first inservice date” (when the car was first sold to the first owner)—this is the date at which all warranties begin.

Reactions: HankLloydRight