Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D (w/ Ludicrous P85DL), Tesla CPO, Rear Facing Seats, All Options!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine for sale briefly last year too before I regained my sanity and withdrew it also. I'm glad I did and I love driving it every time I get behind the wheel. IMO this vehicle may be the pinnacle of Tesla before they started shifting focus to consolidation for cost purposes. Enjoy it!

Lol. I remember you mentioning this some days back... but what are some of the unique features you love about yours?

Lol. I remember you mentioning this some days back... but what are some of the unique features you love about yours?
Performance Plus suspension. Full panoramic roof w/ sunroof. High speed or dual chargers for 2x faster A/C charging. More color options inside and out (although, to be fair, this combo is still available on the new ones but our other Titanium Metallic car isn't as an example). The 85kWh battery pack has been one of the best packs designed for long term reliability (mine shows less than 5% battery degradation even after 6-years). The UHFS sounds better in these cars than the newer ones. The HID headlights are better light output than the newer LED versions. AP1 still is more consistent and less excitement for basic AP functions than newer versions that tend to have more randomness and excitement than I would trust although this delta is still shrinking every day and I have no doubt that it will be more consistent before long. I still go back and forth on if I prefer the nose cone or the refresh front end but this is hugely subjective. I will say that most non-Tesla owners seem to prefer the nose cone version which is also why Tesla added a fake nose cone after focus groups preferred it prior to first introducing it way back for more universal acceptance. This front end though along with most of the other upgrades on the newer ones can largely be retrofitted to the older cars if you really want them. One great example that comes to mind is the newest v3 door handles that are much less expensive and more reliable. Easy add-on once you have one fail. That said, given the price difference... I see little reason to fork over the cost on the newer ones. A few tenths here and a slightly longer warranty there but you pay quite the premium for these differences. IMO these older cars still represent the best value and it's not even close. If people are willing to assign a higher value on having the newest whiz-bang cutting edge tech and then beta testing it for Tesla.... well... enjoy your car is all I can say because I won't convince them otherwise.

I know there's more but off the top of my head those are the first that come to mind.

Reactions: Teezy
Performance Plus suspension. Full panoramic roof w/ sunroof. High speed or dual chargers for 2x faster A/C charging. More color options inside and out (although, to be fair, this combo is still available on the new ones but our other Titanium Metallic car isn't as an example). The 85kWh battery pack has been one of the best packs designed for long term reliability (mine shows less than 5% battery degradation even after 6-years). The UHFS sounds better in these cars than the newer ones. The HID headlights are better light output than the newer LED versions. AP1 still is more consistent and less excitement for basic AP functions than newer versions that tend to have more randomness and excitement than I would trust although this delta is still shrinking every day and I have no doubt that it will be more consistent before long. I still go back and forth on if I prefer the nose cone or the refresh front end but this is hugely subjective. I will say that most non-Tesla owners seem to prefer the nose cone version which is also why Tesla added a fake nose cone after focus groups preferred it prior to first introducing it way back for more universal acceptance. This front end though along with most of the other upgrades on the newer ones can largely be retrofitted to the older cars if you really want them. One great example that comes to mind is the newest v3 door handles that are much less expensive and more reliable. Easy add-on once you have one fail. That said, given the price difference... I see little reason to fork over the cost on the newer ones. A few tenths here and a slightly longer warranty there but you pay quite the premium for these differences. IMO these older cars still represent the best value and it's not even close. If people are willing to assign a higher value on having the newest whiz-bang cutting edge tech and then beta testing it for Tesla.... well... enjoy your car is all I can say because I won't convince them otherwise.

I know there's more but off the top of my head those are the first that come to mind.

Just wanted to let you know that the above comment made me take the car off of the market, and no longer entertain lowball offers.

In the last month or so I have continued to drive and enjoy the vehicle, and as of last week I got the MCU2 upgrade... which somehow makes the car instantly feel like a new vehicle as it relates to the operation; driving it is still "Ludicrous"... "plus" :D. I've read an endless number of people that did the MCU2 upgrade make similar comments, and I didn't really appreciate what they meant... but now it's very obvious why this is one of the best "upgrades" available for this year/make/model.

I say all of that to say, I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me your perspective on the differences and value that these particular P85D's have when compared to some of the newer models out there.

At this point, I will probably only ever sell this car IF I get an offer that is based on the fair market value of the car... not a price that is based on someone saying that a "newer" version (that lacks many of the options that ended shortly after the production of this model stopped) is a better deal.

So really... thanks again.

Just wanted to let you know that the above comment made me take the car off of the market, and no longer entertain lowball offers.

In the last month or so I have continued to drive and enjoy the vehicle, and as of last week I got the MCU2 upgrade... which somehow makes the car instantly feel like a new vehicle as it relates to the operation; driving it is still "Ludicrous"... "plus" :D. I've read an endless number of people that did the MCU2 upgrade make similar comments, and I didn't really appreciate what they meant... but now it's very obvious why this is one of the best "upgrades" available for this year/make/model.

I say all of that to say, I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me your perspective on the differences and value that these particular P85D's have when compared to some of the newer models out there.

At this point, I will probably only ever sell this car IF I get an offer that is based on the fair market value of the car... not a price that is based on someone saying that a "newer" version (that lacks many of the options that ended shortly after the production of this model stopped) is a better deal.

So really... thanks again.

Sounds like you made the right decision for yourself based on all of the facts so I commend you. Too many people feel the need to keep up with the Jones's and lose a tremendous amount of wealth through depreciating assets. If you can "make due" with your P85DL+ and not take that loss you'll be FAR better off in the long run. I say that tongue in cheek because it's still better than 99% of the new cars available today and probably 90% of the car as a brand new Performance model especially since you did the MCU2 upgrade. You give up the ability to have Sentry mode and FSD but I wouldn't say that or the longer range makes it more than 10% better of a car. For all intents and purposes you already own the best value in all of the automotive segment IMHO. It's also going to be one of the more sought after versions of these cars as time goes on.

I also have this exact spec and I have listed it before and I also stopped promoting it.
IT'S JUST A BLAST

After my ext warranty is up I will consider the MCU2 upgrade or better yet I hope they start the emmc recalls soon! MCU1 doesn't really bother me too much since I don't scroll with my screen much or use the games etc.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
So envious of the "L". Certainly wish they made this available with the MCU2 refresh. I would certainly entertain that upgrade to my P85D.

I realize there are some hardware modifications required and I certainly don't know the details, but is there ANY way to make it happen?

So envious of the "L". Certainly wish they made this available with the MCU2 refresh. I would certainly entertain that upgrade to my P85D.

I realize there are some hardware modifications required and I certainly don't know the details, but is there ANY way to make it happen?
That's the good news now is that there is actually an upgrade path for the MCU2 if that's something you want. About the only thing these older cars don't have in terms of upgrade path is AP2+ if that's something you value. I still prefer my AP1 cars for driving experience better than AP2 cars. I don't doubt that they will soon be better in every way but I'd rather not pay a premium to beta test out that program for Tesla. I'll stick with my AP1 car that works incredibly well for basic lane keep and speed management as it does those two things better than any other AP2 car that I've been in... for now. But being able to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 officially through Tesla for $1,500 is a great option for those who value the upgraded items you receive.

As for upgrading to the "L" part... probably not likely an option. Only those P85D towards the end of production even had the proper hardware in place to be fitted with the "L" as prior to that the pyrofuse and a couple other hardware power hurdles existed. So it was a lower # of cars that were even able to have that option added. Fewer still followed through with it because, in many cases, it meant giving your new $150k car back to Tesla along with nearly another $10k for a period of time to shave a few tenths off of your 0-60 time which was already the fastest on the road. This made these cars quite rare indeed.

Couple all of that with the Performance Plus suspension that was discontinued shortly thereafter and if you're car is a well-option version with all of those you've got yourself a car approaching "unicorn" status when it comes to what collectors will be looking for someday.

That's the good news now is that there is actually an upgrade path for the MCU2 if that's something you want. About the only thing these older cars don't have in terms of upgrade path is AP2+ if that's something you value. I still prefer my AP1 cars for driving experience better than AP2 cars. I don't doubt that they will soon be better in every way but I'd rather not pay a premium to beta test out that program for Tesla. I'll stick with my AP1 car that works incredibly well for basic lane keep and speed management as it does those two things better than any other AP2 car that I've been in... for now. But being able to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 officially through Tesla for $1,500 is a great option for those who value the upgraded items you receive.

As for upgrading to the "L" part... probably not likely an option. Only those P85D towards the end of production even had the proper hardware in place to be fitted with the "L" as prior to that the pyrofuse and a couple other hardware power hurdles existed. So it was a lower # of cars that were even able to have that option added. Fewer still followed through with it because, in many cases, it meant giving your new $150k car back to Tesla along with nearly another $10k for a period of time to shave a few tenths off of your 0-60 time which was already the fastest on the road. This made these cars quite rare indeed.

Couple all of that with the Performance Plus suspension that was discontinued shortly thereafter and if you're car is a well-option version with all of those you've got yourself a car approaching "unicorn" status when it comes to what collectors will be looking for someday.

You all sure know how to make a P85DL+ driver really feel smarter for keeping & appreciated it...

A local dealership near me had a 2014 P90DL+ red with black interior with all options except heated steering wheel and it was amazing. I kept it overnight to see how how much range it got on a full charge plus I had to try out a few launches and I must say it’s pretty impressive even compared to the new performance models. It feels so much more violent. Amazing car. If I had one in your configuration I would keep it.
D6971E22-E02D-4D79-B755-11E80412426E.jpeg