Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this dModel Y Panel Gap Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that gap is normal. The upper panel on the rear hatch will always have more of a gap then the forward panel it meets up with. This is by design, because the rear panel needs to lift open and close whereas the forward panel should remain fixed and have a tight seal to limit water access. Basically, if the upper portion of the panels are aligned, don't worry about the lower portion gap (the width of the rear hatch panel will always be less than the forward panel, so it's impossible to align them perfectly). If you look at the photo in the first thread, the upper alignment is perfect with a more noticeable gap below. But even if it was possible to adjust to reduce the lower gap, it would just create a larger gap between the panel and the roof glass. It would also jack up the alignment/gaps on the other side of the car, since the lift gate is one piece.

In regards to the gap between the rear and forward panels, there needs to be enough clearance to prevent damage when the lift gate swivels open.

Last edited:
I just rejected delivery , because my model y left rt door panel gap was very thin (not specs ) , at bottom and normal at top . Hood was aligned with bumper , but wider gap
Front windshield was tiny misaligned
SA said hood and windshield with specs
Rt door they can bring to align in 5 minutes, but gap between this door and rt back door might be affected . After thinking
I denied delivery.
I don't know if she said the truth. I didn't want to be too picky . That rt door panel gap was very very thin .

Attachments

• 20230518_125548.jpg
    20230518_125548.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230518_125601.jpg
    20230518_125601.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 91