Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y panel gap comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am about to take delivery and I think that my panel gaps are uneven. Especially the right side panel gaps seem way wider than the left. The left side panel gaps seem really good and tight.
Is it just me or is the right side panel gap too wide? Or am I just being too overly sensitive?

First two images are of the left side, last two images are of the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 1,394
  • IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_4268.jpeg
    IMG_4268.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 1,050
Your right side is definitely misaligned. I just accepted delivery but mine is worse on both sides than yours. They told me I have up to 100 miles to note any defects and they’ll fix it. I put in a service request to fix this and a bunch of other things, but of course, they can say it’s within spec.

Reactions: PewPew
This is a problematic area on the Model Y. Yours doesn't look that bad to me judging by the pics. Of course it may look worse in person. If your not happy with it put in a service request. They may say this is within spec though.

This isn't perfect but I don't think it is that bad. I wouldn't reject it for that discrepancy. As long as it is sealed (no water leakage) and closes normally I wouldn't even bother having Tesla or body shop tinker with it.

Whether misalignments like this contribute to the booming/ear pressure issue, I don't know. My gaps are pretty much perfect and I still get the ear pressure thing but no booming over bumps. I adjusted my stops and eliminated 80% of it.

I'm pretty sure the rear upper panel (liftgate) on all Model Y's is slightly skinnier than the forward panel it connects to, which creates the illusion of a panel gap issue. I think this is an intentional design because the rear panel needs a little more space to minimize lift gate clearance issues. My Austin build Model Y looks pretty similar, but it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
I do not care too much about the gap size because it needs some space to move and it looks like it's designed to be different. But what I care is that one side sits lower than the other, or one gap is wider than the other. I have a service appt in one hour, so let's see how it goes.

Whatever is the spec value is, I think it must be the same value for both, left and right sides, correct? ;)

I also had the hood that is aligned lower on one side than the other.

I do not care too much about the gap size because it needs some space to move and it looks like it's designed to be different. But what I care is that one side sits lower than the other, or one gap is wider than the other. I have a service appt in one hour, so let's see how it goes.

Whatever is the spec value is, I think it must be the same value for both, left and right sides, correct? ;)

I also had the hood that is aligned lower on one side than the other.
All went well.. both things were out of Tesla specs and they were adjusted.

Hi, I am about to take delivery and I think that my panel gaps are uneven. Especially the right side panel gaps seem way wider than the left. The left side panel gaps seem really good and tight.
Is it just me or is the right side panel gap too wide? Or am I just being too overly sensitive?

First two images are of the left side, last two images are of the right side.
It’s okay, you are looking too hard for something wrong.

Does it leak? Make glass rubbing against metal noise? Is the glass cracked?​

Don’t frick with it.

Reactions: Brown1428
I would accept this 10 times out of 10 if this is the only issue you found on the car. Are the gaps around the rear or the hatch even? Flush with tail lights? No leaking?

As others have said, you need to be careful what you ask the SC to do. They can and often do make issues worse, especially when it comes to door/hatch alignment, when they attempt repairs.

Your right side is definitely misaligned. I just accepted delivery but mine is worse on both sides than yours. They told me I have up to 100 miles to note any defects and they’ll fix it. I put in a service request to fix this and a bunch of other things, but of course, they can say it’s within spec.
And they will say it is “in spec”, the only complaints they fixed for me out of about 20 were trim gaskets they could replace they will not do any body changes
My trunk is off to one side

• Informative
Reactions: TespaceX
This isn't perfect but I don't think it is that bad. I wouldn't reject it for that discrepancy. As long as it is sealed (no water leakage) and closes normally I wouldn't even bother having Tesla or body shop tinker with it.

Whether misalignments like this contribute to the booming/ear pressure issue, I don't know. My gaps are pretty much perfect and I still get the ear pressure thing but no booming over bumps. I adjusted my stops and eliminated 80% of it.
That booming ear pressure lottery is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a Y purchase. I recently test drove a brand new Y and that booming issue was seriously bothering me. And, it looks like there’s really nothing Tesla will do nor something DIY can permanently fix.