Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this for real? Passport and driving license upload or you can drive your tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought outright, not received email.

Why would they need to do KYC retroactively for existing contracts?

Classic Tesla though sending emails that look like scams. I remember sending my money via BACS to a random bank account, and looking through a webpage HTML source code to see if they had received it. I would hope that it's a lot more robust nowadays but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

As far as this email goes, why didn't they take 5 minutes and curate something that is more reassuring, explaining why they need this information, etc?

Reactions: ACarneiro and phil4
Bought outright, not received email.

Why would they need to do KYC retroactively for existing contracts?

Classic Tesla though sending emails that look like scams. I remember sending my money via BACS to a random bank account, and looking through a webpage HTML source code to see if they had received it. I would hope that it's a lot more robust nowadays but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

As far as this email goes, why didn't they take 5 minutes and curate something that is more reassuring, explaining why they need this information, etc?
"The best email is no email"

Elon Musk, 2023. Probably.

Purportedly from Tessie today:
"Upgrade your Tesla's Connection. Tesla have deprecated old vehicle connectivity systems...."

Another link I won't be following. I guess it is beyond Tesla, Tessie and other app providers to make us aware of the latest scamming attempts. Of course, I would only believe them if they confirmed the scam😊 There could be vocabulary issues with this one " deprecated" really!

Interesting point... How many people who received the passport email use third party apps such as "Tessie"?

I have 2 leased Model 3s and didn't receive this suspicious email, so I'm not sure why some people are. I don't use any third party apps.

I received it but don’t use Tessie. I have authorised Octopus 🐙 to access my virtual key.

If this is a hack then Tesla will be facing big fines and civil litigation. I’m more inclined to think this is just *sugar* admin of some sort.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
I also got this email but when I check messages in app there isn't anything there. I assume that if it is legit and that important they would make sure we get notified in the app.
That said. I also provided all this info when I got the car on PCP so it just reeked of a scam
Don't use any third party apps either.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Purportedly from Tessie today:
"Upgrade your Tesla's Connection. Tesla have deprecated old vehicle connectivity systems...."

Another link I won't be following. I guess it is beyond Tesla, Tessie and other app providers to make us aware of the latest scamming attempts. Of course, I would only believe them if they confirmed the scam😊 There could be vocabulary issues with this one " deprecated" really!
This is expected from Tessie, Tesla have been forcing people off the old api for months, and you need to change to a virtual key.

There’s a Tessie thread on the US part of the forum explaining it.

The longer Tesla remain silent the more it looks like a hack - It's SOP for companies to deny such things until they can't any more.
It might be a hack similar to the recently release about the Tile tracker, where the hackers used an ex employee’s access that hadn’t been revoked. Given how Musk has been firing entire teams recently, it wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla wasn’t on top of removing ex employee access. Pure conjecture at this point but worth being vigilant if you have received the email (or have a Tile tracker).

Reactions: kavyboy