Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voucher2002

"You can observe a lot by just watching"...YB
May 31, 2019
Round Rock, Texas
I have an outstanding service appointment to correct a few minor delivery flaws on my Model 3 SR+....off-center steering wheel and left side unoperative horn....so I thought I would have my tires rotated since the car has gone 6000 miles since delivery on June 8th. I received a text from Tesla stating that the cost for the tire rotation would be $127. Um, does this include rebalancing all four wheels and a prophylactic alignment check? I'm being snarky here! Anyone else had this done at a Tesla Service Center? comments appreciated.

I had my tires rotated at 6250 miles as the manual then specified. It was done as a goodwill gesture for no charge, along with the application of a TSB for something about the frunk latch, also at no charge. The service order did not specify any rebalancing nor alignment and I didn’t think to ask about these so no help there.

Many owners rotate when they need to, i.e., tread depth differences are greater than they’d like with the goal of replacing all four corners at the same time. For reference, version 2019.36.1 page 155 of the owner’s manual now states:

Tire Rotation, Balance, and Wheel Alignment
Tesla recommends rotating the tires every 10,000-12,000 miles (16,000-20,000 km).

There is no specification difference for RWD and AWD vehicles.

I have an outstanding service appointment to correct a few minor delivery flaws on my Model 3 SR+....off-center steering wheel and left side unoperative horn....so I thought I would have my tires rotated since the car has gone 6000 miles since delivery on June 8th. I received a text from Tesla stating that the cost for the tire rotation would be $127. Um, does this include rebalancing all four wheels and a prophylactic alignment check? I'm being snarky here! Anyone else had this done at a Tesla Service Center? comments appreciated.

My Model 3 was just in last week for the same off-center steering wheel. They said this was a known issue with Model 3s and the correct fix is to perform an alignment. I was told by the service advisor the front left was out of alignment, which caused the steering wheel to be off-center to the right.

However, my warning is to thoroughly check the car over before driving away. Tesla service either curbed the left front wheel or nicked it during the alignment procedure. The damage to the wheel was near the lip and it was pointing down towards the pavement, so I didn't notice it. Saw it the next day and of course it is too late, as I can no longer prove Tesla did the damage. I've learned I must now run my finger along the lip of the wheel to check for damage. I might try a DIY repair as the damage is not that big or might have it professionally repaired when I switch over to my new wheels.

Some local tire stores will rotate and even balance for free. This is their way of getting you into their shop. Tesla has no such motivation, and looks like they charge one hour of labor, plus tax & small parts/fluids.

Its actually less than one hour of labor (believe it or not). I was just in tesla of carlsbad (used to be oceanside but they moved as many know). I really like that service center, they are nice. Anyway, I was there for my 3rd attempt at getting a spoiler that does not lift off. I asked about them troubleshooting some rattles I have developed in my model 3P (16k miles, approximately 1 year old).

The manager there told me:

"we can diagnose them for you but we charge 1/2 hour labor to diagnose. If we can diagnose and fix during time we will do so, but usually it takes about an hours total for us to troubleshoot and fix that type of thing. The charge for 1/2 hour of labor is 97.50 so...."

So for at least the carlsbad location, an hours worth of labor is $195, which is more expensive than I remember it being last year when I was there but /shrug. they charge what they charge, and you either pay it or not. I chose not to have them troubleshoot the rattles because they were not bad enough for me to end up paying 3-4 or even 500 to fix them.... yet (lol)

Service centers are swamped right now and I think the price of the tire rotation says that they don't want to be burdened with small jobs like that. I recommend going to your local tire shop for a tire rotation.

There is no reason to use Tesla to rotate your tires. Costco will do it for $25, or Discount Tire will do it for free. Tesla intentionally charges a ridiculous amount to discourage people from using them because they are swamped with people who have real problems that need their attention.

Reactions: Big Earl
Service centers are swamped right now and I think the price of the tire rotation says that they don't want to be burdened with small jobs like that. I recommend going to your local tire shop for a tire rotation.
Most car dealerships/service centers charge a bundle to touch your car for anything. That is the way of the world. I’d go to a local tire shop simply because they can likely do it sooner and while you wait. Just make sure they don’t break the Tesla when they lift it.

Most car dealerships/service centers charge a bundle to touch your car for anything. That is the way of the world. I’d go to a local tire shop simply because they can likely do it sooner and while you wait. Just make sure they don’t break the Tesla when they lift it.

Also make sure they properly torque the wheels. Model 3 requires 129 lb-ft which is higher than most other alloy wheels.