Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this not deceptive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, Tesla fanboys and fangirls... I'm prepared for your "no, you're an idiot" replies but this has been bothering me...

Is Tesla not being deceptive with the whole "after est gas savings" business?

For example, this is on the homepage of the Tesla website right now. And you KNOW people see "From $299/mo" and stop reading. No way in the WORLD you're getting a $299/month Model Y lease unless you put down something like $20K. And Tesla knows this.

This "estimated gas savings" just seems to dirty to me. Might be good marketing but for someone about to do a financial transaction this is meaningless.

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 11.21.43.png

I mean... doesn't make it less deceptive, right?

Imagine going to Ford and leasing an F-250 and the website says "$399/month based on fuel saved by only driving down hill and working from home".

But legacy dealers absolutely DO do that. Its extremely common to find lease offers from legacy ICE dealers that include fine print that says, in effect, that it includes several incentives like First responders, military, etc etc, that there is very little chance most people would qualify for.

Doesnt make the Tesla any better for doing this, because frankly I am not a fan of it either, however they do let you configure it now, which they didnt before (you can actually put in numbers of your cost of electricity and gas to tailor that "gas savings" discount to something that actually is closer to what you might see.

I still dont love it, and just because ICE dealers absolutely do this too doesnt mean its right, it just means Tesla is operating like a car dealer, just like every other car dealer.

I dont tend to participate in these type of discussions though, so this is probably as far as I go as far as participating in this thread.

OK, Tesla fanboys and fangirls... I'm prepared for your "no, you're an idiot" replies but this has been bothering me...

For example, this is on the homepage of the Tesla website right now. And you KNOW people see "From $299/mo" and stop reading. No way in the WORLD you're getting a $299/month Model Y lease unless you put down something like $20K. And Tesla knows this.

This "estimated gas savings" just seems to dirty to me. Might be good marketing but for someone about to do a financial transaction this is meaningless.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1052283
It's marketing which is inherently not straight forward.

Would one still buy a banana if it was 70 cents instead of 69 cents. All companies do it, marketing is not limited to Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Seems like a pattern of catchy headlines with inflammatory content:

Unsubscribe.

Edit: sorry, my response was harsh. But Tesla has enough *real* problems to deal with that I don't think we need to manufacturer any.

Last edited:
Seems like a pattern of catchy headlines with inflammatory content:

Unsubscribe.

Edit: sorry, my response was harsh. But Tesla has enough *real* problems to deal with that I don't think we need to manufacturer any.

You definitely are not the only person that noticed the pattern that appears to be happening here. Im not a fan either, but I am making that comment as myself, its not ment to represent TMC, TMC moderators or even myself as a mod. It represents myself as a regular poster, and as a regular poster, i really really dislike clickbait titles, or things that are obviously posted just to "generate discussion".

Tesla emailed me directly with marketing including gas savings to the email address I have on file in my Tesla account. I own a Model 3.

I’d suspect they’re just sloppy rather than malicious, but the end result is clearly a misleading claim.

Also, I disagree that this is deceptive. Some people with expensive gas, cheap electricity, and a long commute save even more than that.
I dunno. I disagree in this case.

Advertising a lease payment “after savings” of a completely unrelated and independent expense is deceptive and dishonest.

It’s kinda like Geico saying “lease a Model Y for as low as $299/mo*”

*after up to 20% savings on your auto insurance from switching to Geico”

Reactions: HankLloydRight
You definitely are not the only person that noticed the pattern that appears to be happening here. Im not a fan either, but I am making that comment as myself, its not ment to represent TMC, TMC moderators or even myself as a mod. It represents myself as a regular poster, and as a regular poster, i really really dislike clickbait titles, or things that are obviously posted just to "generate discussion".
You know what - you're right. Why the heck am I wasting time posting Tesla things in a Tesla forum?

If you don't want people generating content (and I presume clicks on forum entries that also contain advertising revenue that help this site stay alive) I'm more than happy to never come back here again.

As a previous poster said: unsubscribe.

It’s kinda like Geico saying “lease a Model Y for as low as $299/mo*”

*after up to 20% savings on your auto insurance from switching to Geico”
You know what - you're right. Why the heck am I wasting time posting Tesla things in a Tesla forum?

If you don't want people generating content (and I presume clicks on forum entries that also contain advertising revenue that help this site stay alive) I'm more than happy to never come back here again.

Good points. I rescind my old man grumbles.

If Geico advertised that though and it were true, fantastic! Of course, it's only true for people for whom the math works out that way

Just like a company advertising an APR for well-qualified buyers. It's the buyers responsibility to review a purchase decision and fully understand the details.

Has anyone purchased one and then realized afterwards... "Wow, I thought my payment was going to be $299 / month, but it's much higher." My guess is - no. Anyone who bought one looked at the numbers to find out the actual payment. And due diligence to determine your electric and gas prices vs their estimated savings takes minimal effort.

Reactions: ucmndd

Since you quoted me (and not the other poster who expressed the same sentiment), I will remind you that:

1. I specifically said that my comment had nothing to do with TMC, TMC moderators, or even myself as a moderator. It had to do with my preferences as a regular poster, and..

2. If you think I care even a little bit about "website clicks / advertising revenue", the answer to that is emphatically "no, I dont, not even a little".

Reactions: alexgr and Yelobird
Yes, it is.

Having said that, if people are silly enough to believe it.....

I didn't pay attention to that figure and I also didn't buy into the fake promise of FSD (which is very far behind the USA in terms of it ever being released here).

Tesla is a sneaky company and Elon is a lunatic, but all that aside it is still the best car I have ever owned and I would buy another one. 2.5 years, 50km, original tires and no service costs other than self initiated cabin filters/tire rotations.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1052283
I have no idea about leases. I think lease itself is a deceptive financial instrument.

But for normal purchase Tesla gives you an option to play with potential savings numbers, which is cool. The presumed $1200 savings a year is a pretty accurate estimate in my experience.

Chris...Every time I have to deal with Tesla..I become more and more frustrated and disenchanted. Basically, I like our car..there are problems with it..many small ones, but I can live with those. It is almost 3 years old, I plan on getting another EV in a year or so, yes another brand. About all I can do at this point. Thanks for your input.