Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is tire screwed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you all think about this tire? Just noticed it when I was installing new mud flaps. It’s holding air. Not giving me any issues. They all gave 16,000 miles on the original MY LR tires (Continental Pro-Contacts). Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    859 KB · Views: 178
Tire is screwed and should be replaced; yes I'd always replace it.

If you put it on rear wheel and don't drive kids or something and really wanted to save every dollar I guess you could roll the dice it doesn't fail catastrophically. Anyone who can afford a Tesla, even with them now much cheaper, should have enough to buy one tire even a used tire IMO though.

Maybe it'll be fine for years or maybe it'll have a dangerous blowout tomorrow, hard to predict. If you see it begin to bulge out then don't drive. I'd probably drive home if I had no other options but then would look to replace immediately.

Sidewall damage is very concerning. If it was on the tread you might be able to patch yourself. You can't repair sidewalls and all tire shops will say the same.

Reactions: NJEV-Don and Krisja
Tire is screwed and should be replaced; yes I'd always replace it.

If you put it on rear wheel and don't drive kids or something and really wanted to save every dollar I guess you could roll the dice it doesn't fail catastrophically. Anyone who can afford a Tesla, even with them now much cheaper, should have enough to buy one tire even a used tire IMO though.

Maybe it'll be fine for years or maybe it'll have a dangerous blowout tomorrow, hard to predict. If you see it begin to bulge out then don't drive. I'd probably drive home if I had no other options but then would look to replace immediately.

Sidewall damage is very concerning. If it was on the tread you might be able to patch yourself. You can't repair sidewalls and all tire shops will say the same.
Im not saying I can’t afford to replace it. I never said I’m trying to save every dollar. I just wanted some advice. No one wants to replace a tire unnecessarily (and realistically have to replace 2 for best practices) but I just happened to notice it today. It hasn‘t caused me a problem yet. No loss of air etc. and it is on the rear passenger side. I am already researching possible replacements. So many options. Thanks for the reply though. I appreciate all input.

Im not saying I can’t afford to replace it. I never said I’m trying to save every dollar. I just wanted some advice. No one wants to replace a tire unnecessarily (and realistically have to replace 2 for best practices) but I just happened to notice it today. It hasn‘t caused me a problem yet. No loss of air etc. and it is on the rear passenger side. I am already researching possible replacements. So many options. Thanks for the reply though. I appreciate all input.
Sounds good. Yes I wasn't claiming you couldn't afford it, nor did I really intended my comment to only apply to your situation either, I was just rambling ;)

I strongly suggest you have a reputable tire shop check it.
You should have it checked by a reliable tire shop.

I'm not disagreeing that the tire might be dangerous, but I do feel like asking someone who makes their living selling tires for an official blessing to drive on this tire only ends one way - replacing one or more tires.

No shop in their right mind is going to say... "Nah, that tire is totally safe. If it blows and kills someone, feel free to hold me liable (as the tire professional that just deemed it safe)."

I have a similar issue. Curb rash happened a couple of weeks ago. But yesterday I happened to notice that there is a chip in the sidewall.

Will take it to a tire shop tomorrow but they will almost 100% recommend replacing it. I was wondering if the gash is not too deep can it be glued in somehow? The tires are 5 months old with only 4700 miles.

But 99.99% I am getting it replaced tomorrow (or as early as possible)

IMG_0852_small.jpg
IMG_0851_small.jpg