Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IS Towing with the CT going to be practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a reservation for the CT (about 445,000 away, based on 112744100). I can wait till next year if I had to.
But, I made the "mistake" of test driving the Y. ...and I'm getting the itch.
I am hearing some worrisome (low mile) range estimates when it comes to towing (~6000lb camper) with the CT (or any EV, for that fact).
I don't think stopping every 150 miles to recharge will be pleasurable.
Would it be better to keep an F150 on the side (for towing) and go for the Y as a daily driver?
...or should I trust the practicality of towing with a CT?
Any thoughts?

I have a reservation for the CT (about 445,000 away, based on 112744100). I can wait till next year if I had to.
I am hearing some worrisome (low mile) range estimates when it comes to towing (~6000lb camper) with the CT (or any EV, for that fact).
Would it be better to keep an F150 on the side (for towing) and go for the Y as a daily driver?
Any thoughts?
The only EV to consider for towing a 6000 lb camper is the tri-motor CT. This might make 200 miles between charges practical allowing for some reserve. If that doesn't seem good enough, the Y and ICE pick-up might make sense.

There have been unconfirmed reports that the tri-motor CT will have greater range than Tesla has said, but this might turn out to be false.

It depend if you are a contractor using every day a trailer to carry tools and drive more than 150 miles everyday
or if you need to carry a boat or a camper once a year for summer vacations.

I saw also some campers having their own battery and motor, this combination would improve considerably the range.

Any thoughts?

I am looking forward to the CT. I can pull a 26ft tow hauler popup (3300lbs) which is at the limits in a model Y comfortably 100mi, including interstate speeds. Recently did a 160 mi one way trip, making two charging stops. We spent more time checking into the state park than we did charging (including unhitching in San Antonio). Stopped at REI while charging to pick up some camping gear while charging.

I suspect the CT will do better because of its larger size, meaning range won't be as impacted because relatively the weight and size of the trailer won't be as dramatic.

Charging is a pain because most super chargers require unhitching, unless you get lucky.

Attachments

• PXL_20210528_180134546.jpg
    PXL_20210528_180134546.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: dhrivnak
Source?

Note: There was a picture with 610 miles in a recent patent, so this should be legit? Unless it was 610 km or 380 miles?
I don't have a source for my caution that the reports of greater CT range could be false. Note that just yesterday rumors and reports about the Plaid and the delivery event turned out to be false. Also a patent application doesn't necessarily mean someone is going to follow up by making or selling something.

Reactions: Rocky_H
For myself 350 to 400 mile towing range would work. Right now I stop twice for fuel driving from Garfield Ky to Springhill Fl while towing my trailer, Doesn't matter if it is empty or loaded each way I average 2 fuel stops while traveling with a few break stops thrown in. I just don't see many Teslas in my travels. When I am near population centers I start to see a few but traveling interstates 65 24 and 75 once I get past the major towns I hardly see any.

For myself 350 to 400 mile towing range would work. Right now I stop twice for fuel driving from Garfield Ky to Springhill Fl while towing my trailer, Doesn't matter if it is empty or loaded each way I average 2 fuel stops while traveling with a few break stops thrown in. I just don't see many Teslas in my travels. When I am near population centers I start to see a few but traveling interstates 65 24 and 75 once I get past the major towns I hardly see any.
There is no such EV. Depending on the trailer, towing reduces range by 40-60%. The highest range electric pickup that's been announced is the tri-motor Cybertruck with a projected EPA range of 500+ miles before subtracting for trailer, cold weather, rain, elevation increase, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is no such EV. Depending on the trailer, towing reduces range by 40-60%. The highest range electric pickup that's been announced is the tri-motor Cybertruck with a projected EPA range of 500+ miles before subtracting for trailer, cold weather, rain, elevation increase, etc.

That's a rough trip. I plugged my real world data (MY towing 3300lbs trailer) and it suggests 11 stops, or about once per hour of driving.

CT will do much better, anyone can play with assumptions in A Better Route Planner.

The only EV to consider for towing a 6000 lb camper is the tri-motor CT.
I'm pretty sure this is the reality. The 0-60 time is for marketing but the big battery is for towing.
bigger issue is that most of the superchargers are not pull through and you’ll have to disconnect the trailer every time you charge
The new Supercharger in Sioux City, SD has one back-in space with the Supercharger on the side and a long paved strip behind it (see 871e1004-e9b6-4663-b675-e55a4c9030ce-jpeg.661685). The contractor building the site supposedly reported it as
Said 7 stalls including a “truck” stall!

It isn't long enough for a long trailer but could be a sign that Tesla is testing the waters to support towing.

Here is some more real world data: We went for a trip from Western PA to Maine and back just a few weeks ago. Model X towing a Hymer Touring
GT (15'5" trailer, 3200 lbs GVW, see picture). I kept a log of Wh/mile and ended up with 550 Wh/mile overall while keeping to 65 mph on freeways and 55 mph on highways. The spacing of Superchargers we aimed for was 150 miles, as to give us no pangs of range anxiety. We never had to unhitch for charging, as it happened. The benefit of a no-fold trailer is, of course, that you can enjoy your lunch right there 😉.
Aviation Mall small.jpg

~6,000 lbs is what I would be potentially RV towing in the future also. I wouldn't even consider the CT for towing any meaningful distance until some real world data is known.

I think the best RV towing option for that weight class without going down to a Colorado or Canyon, would be the Ford F150 Hybrid with the built in 7.2 kW generator option. Being able to fully power the RV for an extended time makes it a very attractive option. This is especially true in FL with the heat & humidity.

The only EV to consider for towing a 6000 lb camper is the tri-motor CT. This might make 200 miles between charges practical allowing for some reserve. If that doesn't seem good enough, the Y and ICE pick-up might make sense.

There have been unconfirmed reports that the tri-motor CT will have greater range than Tesla has said, but this might turn out to be false.
They are now talking about a 610 range for the Tri-motor