Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Vroom legit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an enticing offer for my model S from Vroom, significantly higher than Tesla or Carmax. I guess that’s a good sign that Vroom is responding to the rapidly changing used car market. Are they legit? I’ve seen some posts that others have had success with them. A little concerned that the website said they will pick up my car and mail me a check two or three days later.

I just received an enticing offer for my model S from Vroom, significantly higher than Tesla or Carmax. I guess that’s a good sign that Vroom is responding to the rapidly changing used car market. Are they legit? I’ve seen some posts that others have had success with them. A little concerned that the website said they will pick up my car and mail me a check two or three days later.
What year are you selling ? And How much you got offer ?

You might also check carvana. I haven't personally sold to them, but my brother said they hand the check over when they pick up the car.
I used Carvana to sell my old daily. They offered me 2500. Carmax would have paid 5000 (I found this out after the fact). They showed up, had me sign some docs, and gave me a check. Way easier than dealing with tire kickers on CL.

Since you are in Florida, consider the sales tax difference when determining if it’s a better deal. For example, if the purchase price minus the trade-in Tesla gave you is 20k, you don’t pay tax on that 20k where you would pay if you sold elsewhere other than trade in. For a typical FL 7-9%, that’s $1400 to $1800. Couple that with the convenience of just handing over the keys and sometimes it’s easier for a trade in.
If the offer is greater than 2k in my example (and let’s face it, it likely is), then go for it. All those managed above have good reputations.

Since you are in Florida, consider the sales tax difference when determining if it’s a better deal. For example, if the purchase price minus the trade-in Tesla gave you is 20k, you don’t pay tax on that 20k where you would pay if you sold elsewhere other than trade in. For a typical FL 7-9%, that’s $1400 to $1800. Couple that with the convenience of just handing over the keys and sometimes it’s easier for a trade in.
If the offer is greater than 2k in my example (and let’s face it, it likely is), then go for it. All those managed above have good reputations.
Thanks for the thought. I've been thinking about that; on this $37k deal, that's over $2k to consider. This is an unusual case, since I'm looking at just selling it outright; it's a weekend car, not a daily, so my plan is to sell it now while prices are high and buy something else in the future when prices stabilize. So I'm giving up the sales tax benefit, but I'm also saving the $250/mo of insurance on it. If only my cybertruck were available now...

They are legit. When I sold my previous car, a couple guys on that forum had used them. They were happy with the general price they got and experience but some feedback was that the processes were a bit more manual and slower than a Carvana or Carmax.

I got a quote from them at the time but it was lower an NJ regional firm that I wound up going with.

Yep, I used them when I sold my Model 3 to upgrade for my Model Y.

They're slow and sometimes hard to communicate with and it can be a tiny bit scary but they were legit and didn't try to adjust the price after the fact or anything (granted my car looked great).

I had to call them a bunch of times to "check up" on the status and gentle nudge them to get things moving. It still took probably 10 days or so before actual legal paperwork was sent out to me. I signed the paperwork and sent it back overnight to them hoping I had filled it out correctly... it's a lot of blank legal docs with just a spot for you to sign and then they fill out the rest afterwards.

Then it took calling each morning for another couple days to check to make sure they got the paperwork, to ask how long it'll take to process, to ask if there was anything else I needed to do *hint hint hurry up guys*, before they assigned a pickup day.

They use a 3rd party near your to pick up the vehicle... for me it was some auto wrecking company and they called me literally last minute asking if they could swing by in half an hour to pick up my car. I was still at work so we had to postpone to the next day (which was a weekend) and then they showed up. The guy was some old guy that had never been in a Tesla or touched an EV before. He just loaded the car and was ready to pull away and *I* had to ask for him to write me a bill of lading (he didn't know what that was but said he could write a receipt). I had to specifically ask him to put the VIN number and the make and model of the car on the receipt and for him to sign it and date it. He did, but boy you could tell he wasn't comfortable filling out any paperwork. I felt bad because he asked me how to spell Tesla and my name (Andrew). I didn't want to make the guy feel stupid or something when he's probably just used to pulling cars out of ditches, but I needed a record for myself and Vroom.

I got that off to Vroom and within about two days they sent a check to my bank to pay off what I still owed on it and then either cut me a check and sent it to me (one or two day to deliver) or it was direct deposited, I honestly can't remember.

Everything was touchless and non-contact and I got the full amount they quoted me from the very start, but I called them maybe 15 times over the course of three weeks from start to finish. Still worth it since they were almost $10k more than CarMax (which insisted they would have to repaint my whole front end on a car with less than 10k miles AND full front end paint protection film). Vroom was lower than Carvana but Carvana wasn't local and wouldn't pick up my car in my market.

It's worth checking both Vroom and Carvana if they'll pick up near you or are within a short drive distance (maybe an hour or less).

Vroom was specific I couldn't put more than 250 miles on the car from when I "accepted" the offer online and when the picked up... which was annoying since it took like three weeks for them to pick up... car just sat at home while I borrowed a family member's second car...

Last edited:
I sold my eGolf to Vroom and got significantly more than carvana, carmax, autonation and shift. I sold my i3 to carvana as they offered more than the others.

It just depends on the vehicle, so I’d recommend checking through all of them. They’re all legit though.

Reactions: AlanM
Ive sold 2 to Vroom, purchased 3.....great o deal with if your not in a super big hurry....very efficient, no issues in all my transactions.

Tesla‘s trade offer was about $25,000 less than the best offers I received for my 2020 LR Plus im currently selling. The best offers were from smaller dealers that would wholesale the car. The best big dealer offer was from AutoNation. Just about every offer from dealers I got was better than the offers I got on this forum.

Just about every offer from dealers I got was better than the offers I got on this forum.

Because the forum people are pretty smart (they know what the car is worth) and are looking for a deal (it's not worth saving $1,000 over brand new but buying "last gen" or something). LOL

If you got a great deal with a dealer, jump on that. You'll find some new well taken care of cars here, but usually buyers are looking for a really good deal here. Otherwise most people don't mind waiting for the Tesla order game... it really is fun getting that brand new experience (even if there are fit and finish issues) and it's so dang close to buying a phone... oh, the car is only 6 months old? Well the new one has a playstation 5 worth of computer power for grames! *rolls eyes*

Because the forum people are pretty smart (they know what the car is worth) and are looking for a deal (it's not worth saving $1,000 over brand new but buying "last gen" or something). LOL

If you got a great deal with a dealer, jump on that. You'll find some new well taken care of cars here, but usually buyers are looking for a really good deal here. Otherwise most people don't mind waiting for the Tesla order game... it really is fun getting that brand new experience (even if there are fit and finish issues) and it's so dang close to buying a phone... oh, the car is only 6 months old? Well the new one has a playstation 5 worth of computer power for grames! *rolls eyes*
Yeah it’s just funny why anyone should think the car should sell privately on here for less than wholesale when the wholesaler will make money selling retail. That doesn’t sound very smart. There isn’t any special about the cars here being well taken care of, I’ve seen a crazy amount of curb rash, dents and dirty interiors on cars listed here. There are also lots of really clean cars here as well as in garages of people that never go to forums.