Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is worth to order FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have put a deposit on a LR AWD MY with FSD at $59,000. Below is from Tesla order site about FSD

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
It also states that:

Includes the Full Self Driving Computer
Full Self-Driving Capability is available for purchase post-delivery, prices are likely to increase over time with new feature releases.

My question: Is it worth to order FSD for $7,000 now? In particular:

1) Are there any hardware differences between ones with or without FSD?
2) If FSD requires new hardware in the future, will we get free update on that?
2) Does FSD offer real worthy features over AP, currently?
3) Does/will Tesla announce price increase ahead of time.
4) Can one drop FSD without start over with the pre-order? (There is a price increase of $990 since my pre-order with the default 19' wheel instead of 18' wheel).

Thanks in advance.

Standard autopilot is included. problem with this free feature is, there is no lane changing, no auto lane changing while navigation. No auto exit off ramps. No summon, Smart or otherwise. If you are ok without any or all those features, then I would save your money. If you are truly looking for full self driving, it's not here yet. Buy 8 shares of stock. When you hear the chatter that FSD is going up or if the feature of self driving from point A to B is available, Sell stock and buy FSD. That may possible shave off $1,000.00

I see people selling used Teslas all the time and the FSD does not seem to have much of an impact in the price. Total waste of money for those folks. I’d never buy FSD until it is completely proven and available. That could be a couple years or it could be 15 years. However, if showing off smart summon to impress people is that important to you, then I guess it is worth $7,000.

i'm in the auto insurance business over 40 years so i read about such stuff. fsd might be ready next year for nice open highways in the heartland, but around a lot of people, signs, buildings, and other cars who are NOT on self driving nor connected, there are still too many 'oops' moments. it's not ready for prime time. when it is, better buy your insurance through tesla because otherwise there will be fighting over whose fault it is.

Reactions: NY_Rob
There is a spreadsheet here somewhere showing at last count about 65% of MY orders logged are FSD. Navigation on FSD seems pretty attractive. Have friend with MS that says way less stressful on autopilot and he isn't as tired at end of a trip.

If it’s worth or not is up to you, but remember to think of the value you get being the total use through your ownership of the car as FSD keeps getting better. While I think 7k is very expensive and not worth for the way it works today, I think 7k will be worth it for the way it will work in 2 years times the years I plan to own the car

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My question: Is it worth to order FSD for $7,000 now? In particular:

1) Are there any hardware differences between ones with or without FSD?
2) If FSD requires new hardware in the future, will we get free update on that?
2) Does FSD offer real worthy features over AP, currently?
3) Does/will Tesla announce price increase ahead of time.
4) Can one drop FSD without start over with the pre-order? (There is a price increase of $990 since my pre-order with the default 19' wheel instead of 18' wheel).

1. Not for current production cars, which all have HW3. The early model 3's came equipped with an oder computer HW2.
2. yes
2. The only real worthy feature is Auto-Lane change.
3. Generally for FSD, yes
4. Dunno.

After having the discounted version of it back last year for my Model 3 (total 5k, and that was for getting autopilot (2k) and FSD (3k)) I can say, no, not worth it. Totally agree with the above that having lane change is the truly worthy feature it has, that and at time the navigate on autopilot, but when I get my new Y I am not getting it for it.

I really wish you could get the lane change, autopark, and navigate for like 2-3k, I would pay for that (essentially what I did the first time around), but the summons and all other stuff for self driving IMO are either too gimmicky, or too far in the future for me to get it.

@wuxyjj:

Like Bad Horse, I bought AP/FSD when it was 5K for my 2018 Model 3. I use AP every day on 160 mile commute and auto lane change is a nice added feature. I rarely use Nav on AP - I am not confident how it negotiates the busy/sudden off-ramp no matter how many times I let it try the same exit in my commute. Smart summon/auto park is nice to have but not practical at its current version.

In June 2019, same question was posted here. Is FSD worth buying now? The answer, imho, is up to the person asking.

To me, FSD at its current version is not worth $7K. I thought back in June that I'd rather invest $7K in Tesla stock vs buy FSD. I did not buy FSD when I got our second Tesla in September, but had bought TSLA stock since. Well, five months later that car was totaled and stock is at $800s.

I will replace the car with another Tesla (I am a believer that Tesla makes the safest cars, after my family walked out of a totaled car with just minor bruises - from seat belt tensioning and air bag deployment).

I did not buy FSD when I ordered a Model Y few days ago. AP works fine for me right now. But you bet, I'd put more $ on TSLA!

Reactions: EVNation
@wuxyjj:

Like Bad Horse, I bought AP/FSD when it was 5K for my 2018 Model 3. I use AP every day on 160 mile commute and auto lane change is a nice added feature. I rarely use Nav on AP - I am not confident how it negotiates the busy/sudden off-ramp no matter how many times I let it try the same exit in my commute. Smart summon/auto park is nice to have but not practical at its current version.

In June 2019, same question was posted here. Is FSD worth buying now? The answer, imho, is up to the person asking.

To me, FSD at its current version is not worth $7K. I thought back in June that I'd rather invest $7K in Tesla stock vs buy FSD. I did not buy FSD when I got our second Tesla in September, but had bought TSLA stock since. Well, five months later that car was totaled and stock is at $800s.

I will replace the car with another Tesla (I am a believer that Tesla makes the safest cars, after my family walked out of a totaled car with just minor bruises - from seat belt tensioning and air bag deployment).

I did not buy FSD when I ordered a Model Y few days ago. AP works fine for me right now. But you bet, I'd put more $ on TSLA!
I bought a Model 3 in July 2018 with EAP and added FSD for $2k last year. I thought it was certainly worth it at that price. The car has just been totaled and I ordered another one. I added FSD for $7k as I feel that the features you get vs just regular Autopilot was worth it. I'm also sure that FSD will go up as it approaches a true release date. Additionally, we ordered a Model Y for my wife and have included FSD for the same reason as the replacement Model 3 for me. Regular AP seems like just Traffic Aware Cruise Control to me, and the additional FSD features seem worth the additional price. As Bad Horse said, it it up to the person asking the question.

reading all these posts about FSD makes me think - where in the documentation one receives from Tesla upon purchasing (MY LRAWD FSD to arrive at some distant point) does Tesla state that "If FSD requires new hardware in the future, will we get free update on that?" I'm asking for the written promise, not the verbal promise from some sales rep.

Also, since the current FSD is in development, not complete (I don't mind being part of the test fleet), if I sell my car back to Tesla and the FSD is still "Beta" will Tesla refund my $$ seeing as how I never got a finished FSD?

Just to finish the thoughts, I agree with the general sentiment of people on here who say "up to the person getting it." I would say in general it falls into your driving habits and needs (similar to people wanting to an EV, while I want more electric cars, I can understand there are plenty of situations/lifestyles that do not fit owning one, though I think an EV works for 80% of the people they just don't realize it) and I think FSD falls into that category.

Do you drive on the highway a lot? Live in an area with a lot of stop and go traffic on said highway? Have a longer commute? Road trip or drive a lot for work? Than IMO the additional features that come with FSD make sense (auto lane change, navigate on autopilot).

Do you just live in the city/take city streets? Is your commute pretty short? Do you rarely use the highways (either cause it's not necessary or you only need to go to the other side of town maybe once a week or so). Then having navigate on autopilot/lane changes add on is probably not worth it. That's where I fall.

I go back to my parent's home in Wichita probably 3-4 times a year (and they come see me about 3-4 times in return). I go back to Manhattan, KS for football games and other alumni business also about 3-4 times a year. Going to Kauffman/Arrowhead, and Sporting games happens in total like 10 times a year, and my location in the KC area it's generally as quick if not quicker to take most city streets to get to places like the Plaza, westport, crossroads, and even downtown. This means using the highways is pretty low, and the advantages of using all those autopilot extra features just simply don't get used that much, and so the discounted price i got it at? Perfect/worth it. For 7k? Not at all.