Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is XPEL ok with all sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to have my X fully wrapped with XPEL and an Opti-Coat Pro+ by Chicago Auto Pros Detailing. Does anyone have any experience with how this affects the falcon wing doors and autopilot sensors?

Chicago auto pros does great work, and we've wrapped quite a few Model X with no issues reported. We've also wrapped numerous refreshed Model S as well with no issues. The bumper parking sensors will be pre-cut out of the kit

Since I had a refreshed Model S they did not have the template yet. They had to do the front end manually. Also, the TACC radar is behind the front end so they couldn't cut around it.

The refreshed kit has been out for some time, how long ago did you have your install done?

After reading through this thread I'm not sure what the consensus is on whether XPEL should be installed over the front bumper round sensors, or whether the XPEL material should be cut out around the round sensors. I scheduled to have XPEL installed on the front bumper of my Refreshed MS60 this week and I want to be prepared when talking with the installer. Thanks.

After reading through this thread I'm not sure what the consensus is on whether XPEL should be installed over the front bumper round sensors, or whether the XPEL material should be cut out around the round sensors. I scheduled to have XPEL installed on the front bumper of my Refreshed MS60 this week and I want to be prepared when talking with the installer. Thanks.

We have pre-cut kits with the parking sensors cut out for the refreshed Model S, and have installed about 4 or 5 at our XPEL San Antonio facility, the kit can be seen and found here: XPEL Tesla Model S

Does type of film matter. Or cut out or not?

Considering 3m pro and I don't think there's a template. Just all manual and I know it would be his first X

A benefit to having pre-cut kits is that there is significantly less cutting and trimming the film on the vehicle. Meaning there will be less blades cutting the film on the vehicle. With our XPEL Pre-Cut kits, they allow for the film to be wrapped, where possible, over the body panels to make for a nearly seamless installation.

To see the kits available for the Model X, please visit: XPEL Tesla Model X

We have the entire vehicle, including the seat backs available for our installers to fit to your vehicle. To find an installe nearest you please visit: XPEL Install Locator

We have pre-cut kits with the parking sensors cut out for the refreshed Model S, and have installed about 4 or 5 at our XPEL San Antonio facility, the kit can be seen and found here: XPEL Tesla Model S

A benefit to having pre-cut kits is that there is significantly less cutting and trimming the film on the vehicle. Meaning there will be less blades cutting the film on the vehicle. With our XPEL Pre-Cut kits, they allow for the film to be wrapped, where possible, over the body panels to make for a nearly seamless installation.

To see the kits available for the Model X, please visit: XPEL Tesla Model X

We have the entire vehicle, including the seat backs available for our installers to fit to your vehicle. To find an installe nearest you please visit: XPEL Install Locator

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Does anyone know what material is used in the three black trim pieces on the front and sides of the pano roof on a MS? The three pieces look and feel like black plastic, and seem like they would be very easy to scratch. These three pieces seem like a good application for XPEL, no? Also, how about the black piece between the front and rear passenger windows? Those two pieces (one each side of car) feel like they might be black glass but not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks, that was very helpful.

Does anyone know what material is used in the three black trim pieces on the front and sides of the pano roof on a MS? The three pieces look and feel like black plastic, and seem like they would be very easy to scratch. These three pieces seem like a good application for XPEL, no? Also, how about the black piece between the front and rear passenger windows? Those two pieces (one each side of car) feel like they might be black glass but not sure.

If it's a painted surface, we have the pre-cut kits available on our website on that link above
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 8.40.03 AM.png

If it's a painted surface, we have the pre-cut kits available on our website on that link above
View attachment 195581

The pieces I was asking about are black on all Model S with a pano roof, but I can't tell if they are painted black or it is just black plastic. I already see some fine scratches on the black piece just above the glass window and that happened just from cleaning the windshield and accidentally wiping that black piece.

On the XPEL diagram you posted, the three pieces I'm referring to are the 3 inner pieces. I think the 2 outer longer pieces are for the painted A-pillars that are the same color as the rest of the car. On the XPEL website I see part
P8201D-U which has 3 pieces. Are these the same three innner black pieces that I described?

If you want to do something different and still get the same level of paint protections, try out Xpel's Stealth film. It is a matte paint protection film that not only protects against rocks, scratches, etc. but also transforms your car to look like the paint is matte! Matches the paint tone perfectly!

Check it out!
14330133_10154580301328338_519316497330719804_n.jpg