Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is zero % range loss after 27 months a red flag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, cause a buyer looking to spend >$100k on your product is such a common thing. If you have THAT thin of skin, then its a good thing you weren't selling for a living.

I'm a very careful buyer. But really anyone looking to drop a hundred grand on something over the Internet from a 3rd party... bloody hell man, suspicious is just prudence.​

Reactions: tomas
We have all seen the smartphones turn off with 20-30% indicated charge left. The BMS in the phone sees a sudden voltage drop and declares the battery is "dead" regardless of previously estimating it was at 20%. Similar situation here.

A Tesla is not similar to a smartphone, it does not get down to 20% and have the BMS see a sudden drop in voltage and declare itself dead. Tesla has a very sophisticated BMS and very accurate estimate of remaining charge whether the driver chooses to display in % or "miles". You can drive it down to zero percent or miles. The Tesla doesn't suddenly start dropping faster as you approach zero because it miscalculated.

Last edited:
The batteries in a Tesla aren't magical unicorns. Yes, the BMS is far more sophisticated, which is why the cells are expected to last for 8-20 years instead of the two or three you get from a phone.

BUT, the reason an iPhone shuts off with 20% remaining is sudden voltage drop. This is due to lithium ion cell degradation. In this respect, all lithium ion batteries are the same. The differences are all about preventing that. An iPhone does basically nothing to prevent it.

I'm not sure why you think Tesla's can't start dropping % faster given the same wh/mi consumption. I've seen it with my own eyes on a service loaner on a road trip.

Also, here's Bjorn with a Model X "acting like an iPhone" and stopping completely despite indicating 8 miles remaining on the display. Totally dead, suddenly. It had to be flat-bedded to a supercharger.

A Tesla is not similar to a smartphone, it does not get down to 20% and have the BMS see a sudden drop in voltage and declare itself dead. Tesla has a very sophisticated BMS and very accurate estimate of remaining charge whether the driver chooses to display in % or "miles". You can drive it down to zero percent or miles. The Tesla doesn't suddenly start dropping faster as you approach zero because it miscalculated.

Reactions: caltechkid
Also, here's Bjorn with a Model X "acting like an iPhone" and stopping completely despite indicating 8 miles remaining on the display. Totally dead, suddenly. It had to be flat-bedded to a supercharger.
So dying at, what, 2%? Uphill? While towing a trailer? That's a corner case example.

To the OP: I wouldn't worry. Some of these cars have had original ranges higher than rated, so it might have just degraded to original. We don't always have people come here to say 'My new Tesla shows 2% higher range than they rated it for!'. It happens, though. I know because my car shows 262 rated miles when it's specified for 257. Or here's somebody who says their original chemistry MS60 had the same rated range when they moved up to a 90D as when they bought it:

Reactions: DFibRL8R
I was told by a service advisor that there is a super secret reset function that only service people have access to. This resets the battery algorithm to display EPA range and forces it to start re-calculatimg as if it were a new car. Nobody has ever been able to independently verify such a claim, but I asked the question after noticing that several loaners - all which had in excess of 30,000 miles - showed EPA rated range without any apparent degradation.

• Informative
Reactions: Musterion