Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue upon receiving my Model S 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my brand new inventory car 3days ago hoping I would enjoy the moment I see it and driven it. I have a couple of concern to voice out and share my dissatisfaction about the car I received.

These are couple of minor/ major issues I encounter:

Minors Issues:

*cleanliness- you can tell the car did not go through detail cleaning- exterior: you can see the water spots - interior: dusty and dirty

*Leather seats- front and back seats. You can see obvious wrinkles on the leather seats in which you can tell that they were worn out. In which it only has more than 600miles on it.

I trade in my Mercedez with 45k and just a little touch up of the seats, it would look like as if it’s a brand new seats.

End cap cover - Misalignment- Needed to fix

Window sealed passenger side - not property sealed due to hearing strong wind when driving 70mph. I have to turn up the volume to avoid the annoying sounds.

Major Issue:

Notification :

Power brake assists reduced

Automatic Emergency brake disabled

Three hours after I drove my car from the dealer, I received this notification 3x, called support team and they weren’t able to fix it. Set an appointment the next day, and found out that they have to replace some parts. I only had my car for 3 hrs after receiving from the dealer then ended up back at the service shop for 3 days.

Gave me a loaner but not equal or greater than the one I had.

Very disappointed..

Customer service: Not so great and doesn’t promptly follow up with you after many calls attempt. Especially the one located in Culver City

I received my brand new inventory car 3days ago hoping I would enjoy the moment I see it and driven it. I have a couple of concern to voice out and share my dissatisfaction about the car I received.

Minors Issues:

*cleanliness- you can tell the car did not go through detail cleaning- exterior: you can see the water spots - interior: dusty and dirty

*Leather seats- front and back seats. You can see obvious wrinkles on the leather seats in which you can tell that they were worn out. In which it only has more than 600miles on it.

I trade in my Mercedez with 45k and just a little touch up of the seats, it would look like as if it’s a brand new seats.

Window sealed passenger side - not property sealed due to hearing strong wind when driving 70mph. I have to turn up the volume to avoid the annoying sounds.

Major Issue:

Notification :

Three hours after I drove my car from the dealer, I received this notification 3x, called support team and they weren’t able to fix it. Set an appointment the next day, and found out that they have to replace some parts. I only had my car for 3 hrs after receiving from the dealer then ended up back at the service shop for 3 days.

Very disappointed..

Customer service: Not so great and doesn’t promptly follow up with you after many calls attempt. Especially the one located in Culver City
Pics? Very curious to see the leather.

Just an update: I was just informed that my brand new car will remain in progress and there has no definitely time about the completion. Not a good first impression ha!

Did I set a record from having a brand new car for less that 3hrs and needed to take it back to them due to malfunction.. I guess it’s not a brand new car after all. Ugh!!

Picking mine up tomorrow at the Westmont IL service center. Will keep everyone posted. Mine is a MS 75 that was from the Fremont lot already built. Got a good deal that had everything I wanted except the audio upgrade. So far they have been very good on keeping me updated and responding to questions and concerns.

I'm glad I purchased an inventory Model S 3 weeks ago. It had <600 miles and it being a demo car, I think benefited from repeated close inspections and any issues that were noted must've been rectified to ensure potential buyers don't notice any obvious defects.

Minors Issues:

Major Issue:

Notification :

Very disappointed..

Not a bad thread... you explained things well and it's frustrating for sure. A couple of thoughts. You are right about the fit and finish stuff, they need to stop calling it a "delivery experience" and start calling it a "caesarean section experience."

I think the Major issues you mentioned could have to do with you getting a 2.5 HW car, which keeps those features disabled until the fleet logs enough miles? You mentioned 600 miles so this may not be the case of course, but I'm hoping for my own sake. This would have been great to explain to you ahead of time if this is the case.

Perhaps the best thing about Tesla, is that they work hard to fix these issues... and you will have a dedicated group of loyal service folks if you don't go postal on them too much right now.... Also, a lot of these things happen with other non-Japanese luxury cars and the dealerships usually compensate by lavishing you with goodies and loaners and fixing the issues... The tesla delivery experience gives you all the anticipation of a "european mercedes delivery" with none of the attention to detail and pampering.... However, in my experience, once you get past this delivery experience, the car is so far superior to other cars that you will quickly realize what really matters..... you picked the right car. You will be amazed at how quickly you forget how awful this experience was.

In the interim, stay positive and hang in there, and let's hope that they keep trying to improve this portion of the business.

Inventory cars with miles are not brand new. That is why they are discounted. Lots of seat wear if it’s a showroom car.

Sorry they didn’t prep it better for you.

Any word on what parts need replacing?
Unfortunately I was misinformed and that information wasn’t provided to me. Assuming that this car has <700miles I expected that this car was in a good condition and doesn’t have obvious wear and tear. They gave me a loaner with <1300miles almost double the miles and the seats look like they’re still new.

I spoke with a service manager and they are working on fixing the issues. However, they are still not certain whether they can fix the seat issue. But they said they would do their best to settle the problem.

I just hope I can get my car back the way I expect it.

It’s a very nice car. I truly enjoyed driving it for 3 hrs until the problem arose in which kinds of took the excitement of having such a wonderful car.

Picking mine up tomorrow at the Westmont IL service center. Will keep everyone posted. Mine is a MS 75 that was from the Fremont lot already built. Got a good deal that had everything I wanted except the audio upgrade. So far they have been very good on keeping me updated and responding to questions and concerns.

Good luck. I got mine delivered from Fremont as well. I hope you would not run with some issue when you receive yours since it’s a custom car. Nothing wrong on being nit picking when you get yours, after all if you don’t address it ahead of time, you most likely going to be disappointed.

Keep us update when you receive your Brand new car.

@Lokachinita Was the car used in a showroom? Those cars' seats get a LOT of wear and tear.

That information wasn’t disclosed to me. I was just informed that the car was part of an inventory and used most likely as a loaner. But obviously, it seems to me that my car was used as a demo, since it only has <700miles on it. if they have told me that the car was used as a demo car, I wouldn’t take it since I’ve seen customers used the demo car and leave obvious wear and tears sometimes abuse it. For sure I would prefer to have a custom made rather than taking the discounted price and ended up dealing with this issues within a few hours after receiving my car from dealer.

I'm glad I purchased an inventory Model S 3 weeks ago. It had <600 miles and it being a demo car, I think benefited from repeated close inspections and any issues that were noted must've been rectified to ensure potential buyers don't notice any obvious defects.
I agree. Im glad that you didn’t have to deal with this kind of issues. you must have a good service location.