Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with hatch back on Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem. I thought it would be a simple bumper adjustment, but I tried and tried and couldn't get it right. What's odd is that if the windows are down or a door is open, it closes fine. I can't believe it's an air pressure issue, but it kinda looks that way.

Mobile service will be here to look at it Monday. I see they're bringing several parts with them, so maybe they know what the problem is.

Hatch closes but not quite all the way. I have to push it down to close. Any suggestions?
Yup, I had that plus it would catch on the righthand tail light as it tried to open. Just had it serviced yesterday. They said they “adjusted hinges and striker”. It’s working properly now.

For those in the vicinity, I’ll add that it would’ve been a week or two to get an appointment at Sunnyvale or Seaside (the two nearest service centers), but as we were heading up to Tahoe, I was able to schedule at the Reno service center just a couple of days out.

Schedule the service but there are two rubber "screws" that you can adjust manually by yourself if you feel like there is an issue w/ leaks or what have you.
I have spent more than enough time tweaking the FOUR rubber stops. There's more to it than that on my hatch. Mine was catching on the light on the passenger side too, but by adjusting the stops, I was able to make it clear that.

I also tried may different option but didn't work out. Mine didn't get closed all the way and had to push it down. Now it does get closed but I cannot open the trunk from the dashboard button. I also makes a cracking noise when the truck opens. I have made the service appointment and I heard they cannot fix this with mobile service. My service appoint is Monday (7/13).

Y's tend to have Rear hatch issues, Just do an appointment in-app to get it fixed. Do it early before issues grow, if you have a bad alignment more problems can occur, mine got so bad, scratched paint, 3 weeks in their shop to fix and paint.
My 2 cents.

Last edited:
So, the mobile service guy came today. He was able to shift the metal latch over (it's adjustable) so it lines up with catch on the door. However, in doing so, the rear hatch is now out of alignment with a big gap on one side as opposed to the other. Previously, when closed, the hatch was aligned perfectly with matching gaps on both sides.

I had him put it back to the way it was. He said those were the only adjustments he could do as a mobile tech and that I'd have to take it in to have the upper hinges adjusted. He also said that typically, the struts and seals will loosen up over time, so I'll give it a little more time to see if it helps.

I know exactly what will happen if I bring it in. They'll adjust it just like he did and return the car to me with the hatch off center.

How do you schedule a mobile ranger to come to you? When I tried to schedule service for this issue (although intermittent for me) it wanted me to drive an hour+ to a "nearby" service center. Not wanting to lose a half day or full day of work for this, is there a secret code word or plan to get mobile service to visit you?

How do you schedule a mobile ranger to come to you? When I tried to schedule service for this issue (although intermittent for me) it wanted me to drive an hour+ to a "nearby" service center. Not wanting to lose a half day or full day of work for this, is there a secret code word or plan to get mobile service to visit you?
Generally, if mobile service is available in your area, it will show up as an option.