Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues completing camera calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How far have you driven? Does the car have a calibration notice still on screen?
I have travelled 169 miles. On day 1 car calibrated about 20% and stopped. On day 2 I did factory reset and calibration never started. Also my GPS is not working. Car location still shows in California. I opened a ticket with support and they looking at my diagnostic files now. Have not heard anything back. As FYI while my car was enroute to Seattle the SA was able to ping my car and show it in Oregon so I know the GPS works.

Last edited:
I have travelled 169 miles. On day 1 car calibrated about 20% and stopped. On day 2 I did factory reset and calibration never started. Also my GPS is not working. Car location still shows in California.

So, in this case, I would recommend that you open a service request in the tesla app for service, stating exactly what you said here:

1. Camera calibration never completed
2. Reboots and factory reset of computer did not change
3. GPS location still shows car in california, while car is in Washington.

I have travelled 169 miles. On day 1 car calibrated about 20% and stopped. On day 2 I did factory reset and calibration never started. Also my GPS is not working. Car location still shows in California. I opened a ticket with support and they looking at my diagnostic files now. Have not heard anything back. As FYI while my car was enroute to Seattle the SA was able to ping my car and show it in Oregon so I know the GPS works.

Definitely take it to a Service Center. I've seen a few reports through the Tesla forums and Reddit of this exact GPS issue. Must be a weird production issue with this batch of Model 3s.

How often should an owner calibrate their camera ? I noticed this weekend during Autopilot the car no longer "pilots" in the center and hugs more towards the right section inside my lane.

You cant re calibrate it yourself, at least not to my knowledge. Most of the time (not all, but most) when someone complains of the car tracking on one side or the other of the lane, its because THEY drive on one side or the other, and when the car drives in the middle, it looks "wrong" to them.

With that being said, since you state "I noticed this weekend during autopilot..." I am making the assumption that you have used autopilot many times previously, and it is NOW behaving different than it used to, on the same roads where it used to do something different. If that is correct, you likely need to make a service appointment. If thats not correct (you used it several times on the same road previously, and it USED to behave different on the exact same stretch of road than it behaves now), then its likely just your perception.

7B340172-C669-439C-89E9-9AB297A8EC0A.jpeg

5A52C531-2E40-4816-9F39-7D53A68500D9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I actually completed the calibration camera myself within the control settings. I reached out to our service center a few months ago after they had replaced my front windshield (from a rock chip and noticed it was hugging the right track). I googled how-to do it. Just wondering if there was a DYI "service maintenance" period I needed to add to my calendar.