Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"It's an excellent design"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Agree with the design critique except for #5 ... :cool:

By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-front-three-quarter.jpg

1. The bottom of the fixed quarter-glass has two almost-imperceptible inflection points, giving the pentagonal window’s baseline three distinct elements.

2. The roof profile is graceful, a pure arc without any relaxation of the tension in the line.

3. The windshield is huge and round, though it is not truly spherical.

4. This sharp profile peak line is a crisp element visible to the driver, always an agreeable feature.

5. Controversial but brilliant, this near-vertical plane leaning slightly forward produces a shadowed effect infinitely superior to the painted surrogate grille of the original Model S.

6. Presumably there needs to be some cooling-air intake in front, and this bottom-feeder mouth is unobtrusive.

7. A hard transverse line all the way from one front wheelhouse to the other provides a solid visual base for the front end, emphasizing its roundness.

8. This second hard horizontal line leads the eye into the lower corner scoops, where the lamps lead into the defining profile line for the “grille.”

9. Probably the best front-end surface detail is this subtle horizontal crease that both increases visual length and reduces perceived height.

10. This rising line that defines the base of a side indent is simple, but it is used on all current Teslas, providing a family identity mark that is not too obvious.

11. This peak line allows a narrow strip inclined inward to the base of the doors, acting as a virtual trim strip while slimming the perceived side view.

12. Essentially contained in the door skin panels, this crease and those below separate the body sides into seven horizontally oriented sections to reduce visual height.

By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-rear-three-quarter.jpg

13. A fender peak coming off the headlamp assembly defines the surface running around the side glass and makes the fenders seem more discrete without disturbing visual flow.

14. Simpler than the Model S door pulls, these “hockey stick” handles remain flush when not in use.

15. The black-painted B- and C-pillars allow the side-glass profile to seem much longer than would be the case with body-color posts.

16. No doubt this spoiler, resembling a blade pushed into a flexible membrane from inside the rear volume, is effective, but it looks like an add-on.

17. As on the front, a single side-to-side horizontal crease line defines the squared-up plan view, putting all surfaces below it in shadow …

18. … except for this tiny protruding surface that catches some sky reflection and makes the car seem wider.

19. Integrating the rear reflectors in dedicated apertures provides a bit more visual entertainment on the elegantly plain rear volume.

20. The ubiquitous perimeter band around the wheel openings has become an every-car feature.

21. The straight sill has an element of simplicity and provides a solid base for the entire body.

By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-interior.jpg

22. This is a big, heavy piece of glass, unless it is cellphone thick, which it might be. We can see there are five seats but not much else.

23. The blunt front allows a much longer hood and keeps overall proportions under control, making the car look bigger and more spacious than it really is. Mercedes-Benz did the same thing with its latest S-Class models to make a big car seem bigger still.

Very insightful analysis, thanks for posting that link. I agree with all of it except do not understand the concern expressed in #22. Obviously larger pieces of glass weigh more than smaller pieces. So how is that a design problem?

I honestly think that the Model 3 design is an improvement on the current Model S and a vast improvement on the original Model S. I am really looking forward to receiving my Model 3!

Reactions: plankeye
Very insightful analysis, thanks for posting that link. I agree with all of it except do not understand the concern expressed in #22. Obviously larger pieces of glass weigh more than smaller pieces. So how is that a design problem?

I honestly think that the Model 3 design is an improvement on the current Model S and a vast improvement on the original Model S. I am really looking forward to receiving my Model 3!
I don't know that it's as much a concern as it is a statement.

That said, heavy glass will affect acceleration...

I'm surprised there was no comment on this portion:

upload_2016-9-6_10-47-28.png

This is where the S/X have that shiny metallic bar connecting the taillights, but the 3 is missing that (probably because it screams "premium" if not a bit tacky).

It looks empty, like something is missing. This is accentuated by the cut-off taillights. It's almost like the car was designed with the metal strip, but then they pried it off and left the rest as is. The visible license plate lights give it an unfinished feel as well, like parts are hanging out. The metal strip covers this on the S/X and ties the whole back end of the car together with the added bonus of a nice T E S L A logo to ensure the guy following you knows what to look up when he gets home. The lack of such on the 3 makes the back feel bland and incomplete. I'm not asking for a metal strip, but I am asking for the back not to look like it needs a metal strip.

Also, the rear spoiler is, like the author said, effective but casts an aggressive shadow on the T emblem. This photo makes it look like only half a T!

upload_2016-9-6_10-53-43.png

Another reason this car will look best in black. The silver T emblem will provide greater contrast, even with a shadow cast upon it. While we're on the subject of shadows, shadows are black, and a black car will make the front end stick out less awkwardly and with less controversy.

Compare these photos:

upload_2016-9-6_11-2-56.png

upload_2016-9-6_11-3-14.png

upload_2016-9-6_11-3-28.png

upload_2016-9-6_11-3-57.png

That second photo will always be a bit jarring, but I'm hoping that's just because it's a render. We'll have to see what shiny black looks like.

All in all, I like the design (was a bit concerned at first), yet I can't help but feel that a few elements were taken from S/X and dumbed down to fit more in line with the cheaper, affordable, less luxurious model. They didn't create a new fork in the Tesla design language, they used an existing fork (perhaps combined forks) and purposefully made it less desirable.

Seems premature unless this is the actual "pencils-down" version.
People liked the folding seats in the earlier descriptions of the X too.

Near as I can tell he's commenting on the current iteration, not the final version. I was unaware that people couldn't discuss the design elements of a vehicle presented to the public, until that vehicle went into full production...

It looks empty, like something is missing. This is accentuated by the cut-off taillights. It's almost like the car was designed with the metal strip, but then they pried it off and left the rest as is.
Doesn't look "empty" to me, I prefer the minimalist look as compared to the busier Model S back end.

Compared to any other current production car that I can think of (and I am sure that someone will come up with an example) the Model 3 design is simpler and cleaner so it may strike some people as odd or too unusual.

Aesthetics are subjective, of course.

Doesn't look "empty" to me, I prefer the minimalist look as compared to the busier Model S back end.

Compared to any other current production car that I can think of (and I am sure that someone will come up with an example) the Model 3 design is simpler and cleaner so it may strike some people as odd or too unusual.

I like the "no-strip" as well. No need for busy chrome pieces. At least a few cars these days seem to be removing that design element. Look at the Audi A4,5,6, Q5, etc. No strip. Plus it's one less part that needs to be installed (lower cost), one less thing to leak/get misaligned, etc.

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage
Agree with the design critique except for #5 ... :cool:

By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-front-three-quarter.jpg

1. The bottom of the fixed quarter-glass has two almost-imperceptible inflection points, giving the pentagonal window’s baseline three distinct elements.

2. The roof profile is graceful, a pure arc without any relaxation of the tension in the line.

3. The windshield is huge and round, though it is not truly spherical.

4. This sharp profile peak line is a crisp element visible to the driver, always an agreeable feature.

5. Controversial but brilliant, this near-vertical plane leaning slightly forward produces a shadowed effect infinitely superior to the painted surrogate grille of the original Model S.

6. Presumably there needs to be some cooling-air intake in front, and this bottom-feeder mouth is unobtrusive.

7. A hard transverse line all the way from one front wheelhouse to the other provides a solid visual base for the front end, emphasizing its roundness.

8. This second hard horizontal line leads the eye into the lower corner scoops, where the lamps lead into the defining profile line for the “grille.”

9. Probably the best front-end surface detail is this subtle horizontal crease that both increases visual length and reduces perceived height.

10. This rising line that defines the base of a side indent is simple, but it is used on all current Teslas, providing a family identity mark that is not too obvious.

11. This peak line allows a narrow strip inclined inward to the base of the doors, acting as a virtual trim strip while slimming the perceived side view.

12. Essentially contained in the door skin panels, this crease and those below separate the body sides into seven horizontally oriented sections to reduce visual height.

By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-rear-three-quarter.jpg

13. A fender peak coming off the headlamp assembly defines the surface running around the side glass and makes the fenders seem more discrete without disturbing visual flow.

14. Simpler than the Model S door pulls, these “hockey stick” handles remain flush when not in use.

15. The black-painted B- and C-pillars allow the side-glass profile to seem much longer than would be the case with body-color posts.

16. No doubt this spoiler, resembling a blade pushed into a flexible membrane from inside the rear volume, is effective, but it looks like an add-on.

17. As on the front, a single side-to-side horizontal crease line defines the squared-up plan view, putting all surfaces below it in shadow …

18. … except for this tiny protruding surface that catches some sky reflection and makes the car seem wider.

19. Integrating the rear reflectors in dedicated apertures provides a bit more visual entertainment on the elegantly plain rear volume.

20. The ubiquitous perimeter band around the wheel openings has become an every-car feature.

21. The straight sill has an element of simplicity and provides a solid base for the entire body.

By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-interior.jpg

22. This is a big, heavy piece of glass, unless it is cellphone thick, which it might be. We can see there are five seats but not much else.

23. The blunt front allows a much longer hood and keeps overall proportions under control, making the car look bigger and more spacious than it really is. Mercedes-Benz did the same thing with its latest S-Class models to make a big car seem bigger still.