Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"It's an excellent design"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, it's the same subject.

The model with a metal roof will out accelerate the glass roof option due to decreased mass.

LOL.

So maybe if I lost 220 pounds...I can get the pano and not increase the weight of the car.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. hmm, I wonder why that phrase is popular..... Skinning a cat is horrible.

Going beyond all the admirable comment on the aesthetics of the so-far-released Model 3 design; for many markets, most particularly the UK and rest of Europe, Model 3 HAS to have a hatchback tailgate (or at least there should be a variant hatchback version).

Without hatchback provision the 3 will not sell well in the UK and rest of Europe. This is because Model 3 is a mid-size car in European terms. Hatchbacks dominate the European mid-sized sector, customers demand this practicality in their cars. It is market suicide for any manufacturer selling into to Europe to ignore this reality (regardless of a car platform's propulsion technology).

Going beyond all the admirable comment on the aesthetics of the so-far-released Model 3 design; for many markets, most particularly the UK and rest of Europe, Model 3 HAS to have a hatchback tailgate (or at least there should be a variant hatchback version).

Without hatchback provision the 3 will not sell well in the UK and rest of Europe. This is because Model 3 is a mid-size car in European terms. Hatchbacks dominate the European mid-sized sector, customers demand this practicality in their cars. It is market suicide for any manufacturer selling into to Europe to ignore this reality (regardless of a car platform's propulsion technology).
I'm sure no one in Europe will even put in a reservation... /sarcasm

It's only market suicide if that is the primary market, and it isn't. More than half of the cars Tesla sells go to markets where the hatch is not the predominate choice so not having one doesn't affect them that much at all. With that being said, those that really want a hatch can wait until the next model, that will likely be an SUV with a hatch.

Reactions: Red Sage

It's important to keep in mind that these cars are still going to be built-to-order for a while, so they aren't looking at maintaining a costly stock overseas where the Model S is still paving the way. I think deep market focus in Europe won't happen until they make a good dent in the NA market and they start building cars locally in that area.

Reactions: Red Sage and YBT
Doesn't look "empty" to me, I prefer the minimalist look as compared to the busier Model S back end.

Compared to any other current production car that I can think of (and I am sure that someone will come up with an example) the Model 3 design is simpler and cleaner so it may strike some people as odd or too unusual.

Aesthetics are subjective, of course.
Like I said, I don't need a strip either and prefer it without. While it can be an eye-catcher, ultimately I think it's tacky and gaudy.

My problem is it looks like there should be a strip there. Model S/X would look strange without a strip if nothing else came to fill in the void.

Hell, you can even see the license plate lights which is bad enough, nevermind the asymmetry of them!

upload_2016-9-6_18-20-43.png

Admittedly, that's a lower angle, but not so low that you'd be looking up at it. Probably just a hair below what a normal driver would see.

tesla-model-3-rear-shot-624x400.jpg

Here's a more elevated angle and you can still see them. Really takes away from the "clean" look of the back. Would it be so hard to tuck them a little higher up?

Still not completely sold on the taillights though. Too Japanese, too anime with the aggressive chunk taken out of it. Why can't the outer ring continue all the way around and the stripless "lip" be moved down the inch or two for a more seamless look?

I would even be ok with the light ring continuing along the perimeter of the current overall shape, rather than just stopping.

Model 3 seems to be a mixture of S/X with stuff missing. Same back, no strip. Model X shaped taillights, but missing continuity. Same front, missing grill. Same roof shape as X, missing pano windshield.

The minimalist in me likes the idea behind that, but some of the execution leaves a bit to be desired.

An aside: I've noticed Tesla has a direction they're slowly progressing toward with each car. From S to X to 3:

Fake nosecone > T stache > nothing, all the while retaining the same overall shape.

Rectangular-ish taillights with a lit "box" shape > Lit box with a little droop on the bottom > droop shape without the lit "box"

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-6_18-19-43.png
    upload_2016-9-6_18-19-43.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 47

The Tesla Model 3 is going to be very close in size to the BMW 3 series and the Audi A4. Do their sedan versions sell well in Europe?

This is where the S/X have that shiny metallic bar connecting the taillights, but the 3 is missing that (probably because it screams "premium" if not a bit tacky).

It looks empty, like something is missing. This is accentuated by the cut-off taillights. It's almost like the car was designed with the metal strip, but then they pried it off and left the rest as is. The visible license plate lights give it an unfinished feel as well, like parts are hanging out. The metal strip covers this on the S/X and ties the whole back end of the car together with the added bonus of a nice T E S L A logo to ensure the guy following you knows what to look up when he gets home. The lack of such on the 3 makes the back feel bland and incomplete. I'm not asking for a metal strip, but I am asking for the back not to look like it needs a metal strip

A metal strip would look out of place on my matte black Model 3, so no metal strp please.

Another reason this car will look best in black. The silver T emblem will provide greater contrast, even with a shadow cast upon it. While we're on the subject of shadows, shadows are black, and a black car will make the front end stick out less awkwardly and with less controversy.

Black T please.

you can even see the license plate lights which is bad enough, nevermind the asymmetry of them!
It appears to me that the asymmetry is not the plate lights, it's the rear view camera placed slightly off center, I assume because the trunk release point is in the center.

Doesn't bother me. I understand it bothers you. We just see it differently.

I'm thrilled that the 3 appears to be coming in a "Chrome Hater's" edition. I'm hoping they get those door handles and logos blacked out nicely on the matte black version. I'm not exactly going for "murdered out" but I really hate chrome. I think chrome is often used to disguise lazy design elements.

The feedback over the design of the back really needs to wait to see what changes are made to make the trunk opening larger.
Elon tweeted: "won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height"