Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Near 100k miles on a Sig X which had needed a lot of service in the early years and which is still provided with professionalism, loaners, clear billing and people driving hours to provide mobile service so I do think the actual service employees matter. But the new hands-free, no-phone approach to service will be the norm when the “the best service is no service” is the motto.

Reactions: Eclectic
Which has a deductible. I have it also on my Model S.

The original extended warranty had a clause that you only had to pay the deductible for the failed part once, if the parts had to replaced again, it was free. So 2nd door handle and 2nd screen could have been deductible free assuming they were repaired under the extended warranty the first time.

Tesla can be really bad about honoring their old contracts. They seem to live only in the present, so if you show up with your old plan which differs from current policy, you are going to have a bad time unless you still have your own copy of the contract.

Near 100k miles on a Sig X which had needed a lot of service in the early years and which is still provided with professionalism, loaners, clear billing and people driving hours to provide mobile service so I do think the actual service employees matter. But the new hands-free, no-phone approach to service will be the norm when the “the best service is no service” is the motto.

The Columbus SC always replies to emails, and communicate well via phone messages also.
I am very fortunate to have been handled by the same professional team for five years, only
kudos to these people, never a botched job. No lies, no false promises, just jobs done, and I live
2.5h one way to the SC, once they even towed a loaner to my work when they picked up my car.

I had a bad experience previously buying a Ford. I had a bad experience with service at Volkswagen. I had a bad experience with service at the Buick dealer.
If I refuse to buy a car based on bad experiences with dealerships I assume I will soon be riding a horse to work.

Bad experiences with dealerships and their service departments were major reasons I bought an S in 2013.

I’d hoped Tesla would be as innovative in the entire customer ownership experience as they have always been with the cars, but that turned out not to be the case: it turns out Tesla (read: Elon) doesn’t value innovation in the entire customer ownership experience, so the company lacks this passion in its culture. Huge mistake which Elon as CEO is solely responsible for.

I guess this is another way of looking at it but not one with which I agree. I don't think I feel overly "entitled' in expecting a company to answer the phone... or to not charge me $200 to fix a covered repair... or to respond to an email... or to provide a loaner when a $100K+ car is being worked on... or to be able to take an un-drivable car in for repair in fewer than 10 days... or to deliver a feature they pre-sell for thousand of dollars in under two years... I could go on and on.

It's not as if my complaints are about the lack of swag and free alcohol at release parties (although these are things I regularly received in the early years). ALL of my complaints are about things that I believe I have every right to expect when paying over $100K for a car. I don't think that's at all unreasonable or spoiled.

First of all, Tesla is going to minimal ‘person’ contact in their service. This is widely known. Eventually they want to get it to where the car contacts service on its own, guy shows up to fix it, done. You don’t even know it happened.

So, people just need to get over the they don’t pick up the phone. Nobody does any more. It takes 20 minutes to navigate most automated answering just in hopes you might get a real person. That’s our world. I’m actually often speechless when a real person picks up a company phone nowadays and then speaks my native language.

Second, if the work is covered by warranty then why are you paying?? That makes no sense. It’ll be in writing. Show the Tesla documentation the work is covered. Sue if that SC won’t recognize the legal documentation.

I’m actually inclined to believe they used to do the work under goodwill for you and now they want you to pay as you should have from day one because it makes ZERO sense they’d be charging you for something covered under warranty. I got FIVE free tire rotations for my 3, and now I pay for them because policy has changed. It should never have been a free/goodwill service to start.

Third, is it normal for reasonable people to go to an Internet enthusiast’s forum to make a grand departure? Is it, really?

Sell your car like a normal person and go buy something else. You coming here to make a dramatic exit and argue with people about a company you no longer wish to support says to me there’s a pretty good chance you’re a difficult customer under the best circumstances and more trouble than you’re worth. When you feel it necessary to tout the cost of your car as a valid reason for your position to be treated differently than someone who paid less — now I know exactly what kind of person you are.

Thank you for supporting Tesla in the early years, but move along now if they don’t do it for you anymore.

Maybe a Porsche Taycan will work for you. They cost even more than the S for worse performance, range, and charging. I’m sure there you can expect to be treated like the special person you are.

If you are talking about the model S or X, I agree with you, but what about the model 3. And how does service balance between the two? Margins on the 3 are pretty slim: should profits on the S and the X fund loaners for model 3 owners?

Is that like saying profits from Lexus should fund loaners for Yaris owners? Should Tesla split into 2 service centres? I don't have the answers, just thinking out loud.

And who would have thought as a car owner that being so far away from a service centre is an advantage, as it yields FANTASTIC service. All 3 mobile service appointments I have experienced have been phenomenal.
I don't have a good answer but Tesla has to differentiate S/X from 3 at least in service department.

Third, is it normal for reasonable people to go to an Internet enthusiast’s forum to make a grand departure? Is it, really?
Apparently it really is, really.
You seem to be one of those who believes that a Tesla Fourm is a space only for fanboys to fawn over the company and any dissent is reason for personal attack. I'm making my "grand statement" (and have clearly found quite a bit of agreement) in the hope that in gains more of Tesla's attention than my phone calls and emails to them directly. Again, I love the car and wish the company were better.
Sorry that's so hard for you to hear and that it seems to hit you personally. Your attitude towards others seems to be succinctly summed up by your avatar.

They started charging $200 "deductible" for issues that are covered by warranty (after 7 years of not doing so and never making it clear it was even a possibility).

They weren't covered under a warranty. They would have been covered under the ESA, Extended Service Agreement, that you purchased. And that ESA clearly spelled out what the deductible was. So they certainly did make it clear it was a possibility and even expected.

You really shouldn't complain that they were giving you stuff for free when they didn't have to. They did something nice, and now you admonish them for it.

Because I have an extended warranty.

No you don't. Tesla never sold an extended warranty. (Yes, the words matter a lot.)

Sigh... don't want to argue this with you specifically. I already addressed that in my original post.

No you didn't. You never mentioned buying an extended warranty or ESA in your original post. In fact you said the repairs were covered under a warranty, when in fact they weren't.

Everybody needs to understand that Tesla is well aware of what they are doing and why they are doing it.

They know that the earlier coddling needed to come to a halt. People need to work within their policies and this does not mean tons of interpersonal relationships with their customers. They are selling all they can make and there is a line around the block.

Some are going to be butt hurt about this, but there will always be those, no matter what you do.

The offended (easily offended I may add) are going to be some of the lowest mouths on the forums. They will complain how they were mistreated and easily find other offended that will join in their pity party.

Imagine that Tesla has decided to run an efficient company and let those dissatisfied people wander over to the friendly neighborhood Chevy dealership. They have Bolts, Volts, a nifty new electric Mustang and perhaps even an upcoming electric Bronco.
This has been going on forever with people getting upset that they were not treated special enough and trotting off to the competitor.

Even these forums have kind of had enough, and instead of wasting time with the easily disgruntled reply with a quiet...Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

These dramatic exits seem to be motivated by a strong desire to let Elon or "the company" know that they are not being customer coddling enough...but mostly we have had enough.

Kind of like an overly emotional high maintenance girlfriend storming out the door.

Everybody needs to understand that Tesla is well aware of what they are doing and why they are doing it.

They know that the earlier coddling needed to come to a halt. People need to work within their policies and this does not mean tons of interpersonal relationships with their customers. They are selling all they can make and there is a line around the block.

Some are going to be butt hurt about this, but there will always be those, no matter what you do.

The offended (easily offended I may add) are going to be some of the lowest mouths on the forums. They will complain how they were mistreated and easily find other offended that will join in their pity party.

Imagine that Tesla has decided to run an efficient company and let those dissatisfied people wander over to the friendly neighborhood Chevy dealership. They have Bolts, Volts, a nifty new electric Mustang and perhaps even an upcoming electric Bronco.
This has been going on forever with people getting upset that they were not treated special enough and trotting off to the competitor.

Even these forums have kind of had enough, and instead of wasting time with the easily disgruntled reply with a quiet...Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

These dramatic exits seem to be motivated by a strong desire to let Elon or "the company" know that they are not being customer coddling enough...but mostly we have had enough.

Kind of like an overly emotional high maintenance girlfriend storming out the door.

I don’t disagree, Uncle Paul. But I still think Tesla can do better and be more efficient with standardized processes, consistency across SCs, and more open and predictable communication, even if automated. They will save money and sell more cars - good for Tesla, good for customers.

In my experience, because bad customer experience is not good longterm trategy, a business will pinch from its customer support when it needs to.

I suspect that the aggressive push for Tesla to be profitable as early as possible, has undercut its ability to scale up its customer support. I hope they get it on course soon.

It sure helps that they have improved the quality so much that the influx of new customers doesn't much overload the customer service.

Nevertheless, like dealing with pandemics, it's better to be ahead of the curve with the help of a strategic leader on the top, rather than playing catch-up. Usually, over time, Tesla learns from its mistakes, but it might cost some customers, luckily not lives.

Everybody wishes Tesla was more telephone available, but they have decided not to do so. Customers need to be aware of this, and leave much of the back and forth communication, where everybody tries to get as much as they can and adjust Tesla's timeline to their own.

Customers drive companies crazy. They are always wanting intimate answers, trying to get discounts or something for nothing, changeing their minds, changing their orders (want the blue one...no the Red one.. not the White one..now on to interior colors.) Face it, customers are maddlning for businesses. They want to anguish over wheel sizes, battery options, most every little thing.

Totally understand that all this has caused Tesla nothing but anguish.

Tesla wants owners to place their orders on the internet. Wait until the car is ready to be delivered and arrange for payment. That is the perfect system for them. This is the ultimate in transparency. Everybody is treated equally and efficiency is maximized. Kind of like ordering a iPhone.

Similar thing for service. Use app to arrange service. Answer the questions they need to set up an appointment, OTA diagnosis/repair or Ranger service, and show up with a friend to drive you home. They will call you when it is done.

I don’t disagree, Uncle Paul. But I still think Tesla can do better and be more efficient with standardized processes, consistency across SCs, and more open and predictable communication, even if automated. They will save money and sell more cars - good for Tesla, good for customers.

Tough guy Uncle Paul has it all figured out.

Imagine if Amazon had this attitude. Or Apple. You would not even recognize these company names in 2020.

Had to check... yep, Uncle Paul is in California.

Not going to say any more.

Everybody wishes Tesla was more telephone available, but they have decided not to do so. Customers need to be aware of this, and leave much of the back and forth communication, where everybody tries to get as much as they can and adjust Tesla's timeline to their own.

Customers drive companies crazy. They are always wanting intimate answers, trying to get discounts or something for nothing, changeing their minds, changing their orders (want the blue one...no the Red one.. not the White one..now on to interior colors.) Face it, customers are maddlning for businesses. They want to anguish over wheel sizes, battery options, most every little thing.

Totally understand that all this has caused Tesla nothing but anguish.

Tesla wants owners to place their orders on the internet. Wait until the car is ready to be delivered and arrange for payment. That is the perfect system for them. This is the ultimate in transparency. Everybody is treated equally and efficiency is maximized. Kind of like ordering a iPhone.

Similar thing for service. Use app to arrange service. Answer the questions they need to set up an appointment, OTA diagnosis/repair or Ranger service, and show up with a friend to drive you home. They will call you when it is done.

I get it and love the idea of integrating business and IT for effective and efficient outcomes - I have made a career out of it. If an automated approach is the strategy, you need to really be good at it or there may be unintended consequences.

Last edited:
Amazon and Apple are similar. Very difficult to get someone on the telephone to go over product details. Hard to get someone out to work on their products, or handle non warranty adjustments. Hard to negotiate pricing, delivery, or warranties beyond what they post on website.

No companies want to have unlimited free telephone access. They hate changes after the order is placed and generally do not want to deal with the customer after the order is placed. They sometimes have online chats, but rarely staffed by informed and empowered seasoned staff.

I kind of sort of get where the OP is coming from. I purchased in 2013. Back then I took a tour of the factory and got to see MY car as it was being built. (Was towards the end but still) back when you purchased a $110k car and the VP would not only send you a letter thanking you for your business but when you sent the VP and email he personally responded. (Frankly don’t even know who the VP is now. Nor do I care). My point in saying all of this was Tesla took care of their customers. they bent over backwards for them. They don’t do that anymore. But if they were still doing that we’d all be waiting MONTHS for an appointment for something.

I walked away from Tesla for several years. I’m back and can say. It doesn’t matter what car you have no one is going to treat you as good as Tesla did back in the day. But also no other car will ever be as fun to drive. So I’m back.

personally my service center is still great. I email. They respond same day. That’s fantastic for me. We don’t live in the age of picking up the phone and calling anymore non we email. We text. Makes sense for Tesla to do the same. In the mean time. I get to drive one beast of a car.

I had a bad experience previously buying a Ford. I had a bad experience with service at Volkswagen. I had a bad experience with service at the Buick dealer.
If I refuse to buy a car based on bad experiences with dealerships I assume I will soon be riding a horse to work.
Yeh, but have you tried finding a feed and water point these days?

• Funny
Reactions: ReddykwRun

Yep, and you could always go to another dealer or a 3rd party shop to get things fixed if you got the shaft at one of the dealers.

With Tesla you're pretty much at the mercy of their garbage corporate culture.

Really? Does BMW have a different level of service quality for the 3, vs 5, vs 7 series vehicles?
Then why is Tesla planning a dedicated channel for roadster owners ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sorry, never owned a BMW so have no idea. Giving rental perks for example has no relationship to service quality.

Last edited: