Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an example of the frustrations with not being able to talk to a service problem. The magnet on my manually operated charge port door separated from the backside of the door. As it's impossible to speak to anyone at Tesla, I “made” an appointment via the app. I said I do NOT want to take the car to Tesla or have mobile service come to me during the current virus situation, and that I can reattach the “washer” (magnet) myself if they advise what adhesive to use. Instead of responding to my question with what adhesive to use, they send me an estimate for $179.30 plus tax, representing $0.45 for a tape, $3.85 for a new magnet and $175.00 for labor. How does one get Tesla to respond to my question with what adhesive to use. It’s ridiculous to pay nearly $200 with tax to merely re-secure (glue) the “washer” (magnet) that anyone can do with no technical training.

I note that I also emailed the last service person I had (from March 2020) asking the same question but have gotten no reply. For all I know, that person may be ignoring my email (hopefully not) or may no longer be working for Tesla. Being able to talk to a person would have taken care of this matter in less time than it took them to prepare and send the estimate.

Last edited:
Here is an example of the frustrations with not being able to talk to a service problem. The magnet on my manually operated charge port door separated from the backside of the door. As it's impossible to speak to anyone at Tesla, I “made” an appointment via the app. I said I do NOT want to take the car to Tesla or have mobile service come to me during the current virus situation, and that I can reattach the “washer” (magnet) myself if they advise what adhesive to use. Instead of responding to my question with what adhesive to use, they send me an estimate for $179.30 plus tax, representing $0.45 for a tape, $3.85 for a new magnet and $175.00 for labor. How does one get Tesla to respond to my question with what adhesive to use. It’s ridiculous to pay nearly $200 with tax to merely re-secure (glue) the “washer” (magnet) that anyone can do with no technical training.

I note that I also emailed the last service person I had (from March 2020) asking the same question but have gotten no reply. For all I know, that person may be ignoring my email (hopefully not) or may no longer be working for Tesla. Being able to talk to a person would have taken care of this matter in less time than it took them to prepare and send the estimate.

This is the kind of thing that really upsets me. I get the reasons why. Why would Tesla spend any effort to help you not have to give them money while they are accepting responsibility for you doing something they have no control over.

I guess in your case, it's up to you. If you know how to do the job, just do it. Epoxy sounds best solution in my mind, and if it were me I would weigh the pros and cons and take the plunge and fix myself. You are clearly no worse off than paying Tesla. (tongue in cheek)

But the result rests on your shoulders, not theirs.

Super annoying there is no trust / connection with customers as that is what builds for their next sale. Costs them very little. Especially when you consider what they must throw away in questionable (un justified) good will just to shut up a troublesome customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thp3 and croman

Did the pre-invoice they send you have part numbers? If so, it sounds like they told you exactly what to use. (The $0.45 tape.)

Do you really expect them to tell you to buy some non-Tesla product which they haven't tested?

I seem to recall from other people that had this issue in the past that it is very sensitive to the adhesive being exactly the correct thickness.

In a nutshell: old customers are a liability. Tesla made a business decision that combines the worst of two worlds: a business that already has your money and feels no need to ensure a repeat customer, and then assumes future sales to the iphone demographic that has a psychological need to belong to something greater than themselves, no matter the quality of the product or service. Tesla is not the first company to adopt this model, as evidenced by the tech graveyard of the early 2000's and the US auto "graveyard" in 2007. I'm enjoying their stock valuation as we speak, and as long as I can make money owning their stock, I will, and may decide to bet on good news in tomorrow's report. Their stock values certainly didn't rise due to the quality of their yellowed screens. Owning a second Tesla branded car? Not likely.

As for my replacement screen installed August 2019 that has now yellowed, their text reply say they are only taking safety related issues at my closest CS. I asked/texted about the CS 200 miles way, no reply.

It amazes me that posters will defend the company and attack others for their experience. It is like questioning people has Covid-19. If I don't have it, they must be lying or done something wrong.

Be happy that you did not have it, yet.
When people's "bad experiences" consist of not continuing to get free things forever or refusing to use modern technology, I tend to not really care that much about the validity of their complaints.

I can't think of any dealership that would accept the liability of telling you how to fix your car yourself. The idea that something like this is your standard for "bad service" is exactly what I'm talking about.

Reactions: tomas and MP3Mike
When people's "bad experiences" consist of not continuing to get free things forever or refusing to use modern technology, I tend to not really care that much about the validity of their complaints.

Did you read this thread? Nobody is refusing to use modern technology. The way Tesla uses it is inconsistent and unreliable.

Last time my car was in service, I didn't even know that the service was completed and there was no way to call the SC. Their phone went straight to voice mail that was full. Texting did not work at all. I had to spend 40min with Tesla support on chat to figure out what was going on. They said the car is probably ready, so I had to pay for my own Uber to get there, as my credits expired and nobody bothered to refill them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Did you read this thread? Nobody is refusing to use modern technology. The way Tesla uses it is inconsistent and unreliable.

Last time my car was in service, I didn't even know that the service was completed and there was no way to call the SC. Their phone went straight to voice mail that was full. Texting did not work at all. I had to spend 40min with Tesla support on chat to figure out what was going on. They said the car is probably ready, so I had to pay for my own Uber to get there, as my credits expired and nobody bothered to refill them.
Some of us refuse to get smart phones on which Tesla applications can run. Instead, we stick with small and convenient dumb flip phones on which the screen is always protected from damage and which will more easily fit into our pockets.

I did read the entire thread, maybe you should too.

I read the thread and no where was someone asking for something for free or refusing to use "modern technology" (whatever TF that is). They are asking for competent service and communication. Even flip phones accept incoming calls. Your response is precisely why this thread was started.

I read the thread and no where was someone asking for something for free

Really? The OP was complaining because Tesla started charging the $200 deductible in his ESA contract that they hadn't been charging him the whole time. i.e. he wanted to continue to get his repairs for free even though his contract says that he has to pay a $200 deductible for them.

• Helpful
Reactions: VT_EE and tomas
I probably shouldn’t respond as it looks like your intent is just to troll but you’ve been here a long time so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re simply not understanding.
If you have read this thread, the fact that the original post and all the complaints that follow are NOT about using an app. You seem hellbent on misunderstanding that. They are mostly about the very basics of customer service like responding to a customer or doing what they say. You seem intent on attacking anyone who is disappointed that they haven’t been able to receive that from Tesla. If you’re not trolling, I wonder why such obviously reasonable requests are so upsetting to you?

Don't let him get to you, a lot of people take it personally that Tesla isn't the company it once was, and don't know how to come to grips with it so they try and make it your problem for noticing their problem.

The complaints and the kool aid will all go away when Tesla goes back to having good service.

Reactions: kavyboy
Is there anyone who thinks Tesla should not do a better job on consistency of operations and communication with customers? It seems much of the argument is over conflicting opinions about the definition of unreasonable expectations (human vs. automated communication, original owners vs. new owners, etc.) My expectation is that any organization should pursue continuous improvement for efficiencies, innovation, customer satisfaction, and growth. I don’t know why someone would argue that Tesla should not do better, but if anyone thinks that then please explain and try to convince those who don’t understand.

Reactions: Chaserr and SigGuy
Tesla is expert at using Modern Technologies......at it's convenience and advantage.

- it uses website for ordering, so it can change it's terms, prices with a snap of their fingers. We are encouraged to take screen shots for our protection.

- Paid $2,500 April 2019 to reserve Model Y LR RWD. This configuration disappeared from their website February 2020. No explanation from Tesla. Numerous fellow customers whined in Model Y Forum (26 pages) for two months now, some contacted SC, no official response. I simply walked with my money to Chevy Bolt on March 16, use the $20,000 saving for 50 shares of Tesla at $400.

- pay 5,000.00 now for FSD. It will be ready in the future. If you are tired of waiting for years of broken promises, you can have your money back. Brilliant salesmanship.

- it could easily acknowledge your inquiry with an automated "got it, will get back with you when we have time...." but No.

Is there anyone who thinks Tesla should not do a better job on consistency of operations and communication with customers? It seems much of the argument is over conflicting opinions about the definition of unreasonable expectations (human vs. automated communication, original owners vs. new owners, etc.) My expectation is that any organization should pursue continuous improvement for efficiencies, innovation, customer satisfaction, and growth. I don’t know why someone would argue that Tesla should not do better, but if anyone thinks that then please explain and try to convince those who don’t understand.

Die hard fanboys and Elon cultists will always in any scenario find ways to defend Tesla, no matter how bad and disorganized it gets. Service center employees and quality control need to be fixed and it won't be easy.

I live near two service centers. I went with the same issue to both, at one of them I got straight up lied to my face and received insanely dumb and wrong explanations from three employees while the other service center fixed my issue in a very professional manner. In this case I still can't go around saying how great their service is (as some claim they didn't have any problems over their ownership period). Even if a small number of service center are full of incompetent employees, this still needs to be fixed first, but I have very low hopes that it will be done. It's not like it'll be enough to make an internal poll, or training, or audit... they need to go deeper and most likely won't.

Last edited:
Die hard fanboys and Elon cultists will always in any scenario find ways to defend Tesla, no matter how bad and disorganized it gets. Service center employees and quality control need to be fixed and it won't be easy.

I live near two service centers. I went with the same issue to both, at one of them I got straight up lied to my face and received insanely dumb and wrong explanations from three employees while the other service center fixed my issue in a very professional manner. In this case I still can't go around saying how great their service is (as some claim they didn't have any problems over their ownership period). Even if a small number of service center are full of incompetent employees, this still need to be fixed first, but I have very low hopes that it will be done. It's not like it'll be enough to make an internal poll, or training, or audit... they need to go deeper and most likely won't.

I would do it on contingency for a very small percentage of efficiency savings achieved.

The service went from awesome with a person to talk to and a loaner car to outright horrifying w no one to talk to if issues arise and no loaners. I hope my cAr doesn’t have any issues esp with the covid outbreak....

Has anyone started a petition to Elon? no loaners for a luxury car like this makes no sense. And good customer service makes good return customers.

I put a deposit on a Model S over a decade ago. I bought a Signature model (one of the first 1,000 MS made) and became an outspoken evangelist for the company. For the fist year, it was a whirlwind romance and I probably sold a dozen+ cars myself and Tesla treated me like a member of the family. A few years in, things started to get rocky as Tesla got more and more busy but I understood. 100,000 owners vying for its attention made for a different dynamic. But then the Model X and eventually the model 3 came into the picture and Tesla started to be more distant and more cold. At first it was just a lack of personal touch but over time, it became neglect.
Now, its an outright abusive relationship. Tesla literally doesn't pick up the phone (this is not a cute relationship analogy- they don't pick up the phone). They discontinued the "owner experience" group (they used to address owner issues) because... who cares? They cut out the loaner program. They lied constantly ("we're increasing the loaner program! We're building a new service facility just for Model 3! We're selling features we can't deliver!") . They started charging $200 "deductible" for issues that are covered by warranty (after 7 years of not doing so and never making it clear it was even a possibility). I wrote a plaintive email into the great void of "[email protected]" as a last hope that somehow Tesla cared enough to at least lie to me about all this. No response at all.
Tesla, which started out with customer service akin to Apple had slowly devolved into a company with customer service worse than Spectrum (or any other monopolistic company). I guess somewhere along the way they realized that treating customers well was not its best strategy to keep its stock price high. Any resources that had been put to serving customers was reallocated to sales. The lie they tell that they are "trying" is as insulting as a spouse telling you they're "trying" not to cheat. Trying is as simple as investing in customer service (or not divesting what was already in place).
If you've been a Tesla owner for more than 5 years, I can't imagine that you too haven't felt the same neglect and abuse.

I absolutely hate Tesla. I love the car but hate the company. And that is awful. Feels like saying I hate an ex-lover because I truly did love this company for years. I learned to love electric cars and I'm hopeful that some company that still prioritizes customers will make a great one. Otherwise, I may just be stuck with an ICE car because as much as I love electric, I refuse to be treated like crap. Tesla should be ashamed of itself for letting its customers down and for shaming its own product in the process.

Well, I am at my 4th year, and still love the car and love the way they operate the company. Really appreciate their none stop update and offer to upgrade the vehicle. New tech. in Model 3 sure make me jealous and thinking to trade-in my old S, but, this is how company survive to attract more future customers. All I can say is good job Tesla!