Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter, charging practicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ask and you shall receive. I was recently emailed this pic by a Tesla rep after asking about it.

J1772 Adapter.jpg

Could be as simple as, if it's actively charging, it throws the locking pin on, when done charging or you manually stop the charge (via smartphone, touchscreen, or pressing the J-1772 button [proximity signal]), it retracts the locking pin. Thinking more about it, when done charging, you would probably have to press something manually, otherwise someone could pilfer the adapter...

The 'hook' on the J1772 connectors is about 8mm from the flat face that is closest to the car so I think it will work. Issue for me is still how much leverage an 80A cable will put on this thing...
Seemed ok when I saw it with a 200 A cable, albeit sans adapter. This J1772 adapter has been the plan for a long time, so one has to assume they designed it to be robust enough.

I'd think you'd want it to stay locked in place as you remove the J1772 connector. Then separately it would release the adapter. Maybe when you press unlock on the key fob?

Here's the details from my email:

"The J1772 adapter is locked to the charging port when the vehicle is locked. There is a small pin that raises under the adapter to prevent theft. You simply stop the charging process at the external station, remove the J1772 input, and the adapter will stay in place as long as the vehicle remains locked. Once you unlock your vehicle, you may remove the adapter."