Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter, charging practicalities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla employee at the Seattle event today told me that you don't need the UMC for J1772 (i.e. same as others have said above), and that it would not lock at the J1772 end. So a hypothetical meanie could unplug you from the power, but wouldn't be able to take the adapter.

Great! The Seattle folks are super helpful and nice; and we discussed this topic last week at the Bellevue store.

aren't almost all of the public J1772 stations at 30A? That makes the campgrounds even more attractive if they'll give you a reasonable rate to charge there for a few hours. They are usually confused by what you are asking to do. Think it would be a nice little side business for them in the coming years.

I currently use this app quite a lot- PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars! would be interesting to start contributing EV-friendly RV parks into the map.

It's not likely to happen, but wishing is free: I'd also like plugshare integrated as a dashboard app for the rare cases you may want it.

I just recently got the very nice hcsharp adapter for my Roadster. I'll note that I use it at work, practically every day. The J1772 cables on the ChargePoint units there are thinner and lighter than Tesla's own J1772 adapter cable, and the J1772 plug side has a near-right-angle on it, so even with the very slightly increased moment arm of the small rigid adapter, I'm really not that worried about the weight on the port.

I got the adapter only when I knew I'd have a regular use for it.

The moblile charger might still be an advantage to carry, though, as you can plug it into a NEMA 14-50 plug at an RV park if you can't find a J1772 charging station. And the mobile charger at an RV site will charge at 40 amps rather than the 32 amps at most charging stations. That's 25% faster!

Does anyone know the cost of a second UMC? I'd kinda like to keep one in the car and another somewhat permenantly hung up in the garage.
Keep an eye on this periodically...
charging Tesla Motors

In at least one of the product descriptions...
Please note that the connectors sold through our online store are for the Tesla Roadster. Model S charging options will be released at a later date.

Around here, you are much more likely to be able to locate a 14-50 outlet than a j1772 charger. (that's not saying that there are a lot of 14-50's, just that there are so few j1772's.)

But not in the city, right? I think if it's a typical day and you're not going to be leaving the city then it's ok to leave the UMC at home. I don't see the need to buy two UMCs. If I was going to do that, I'd rather get the HPC for the looks and keep the UMC in the car.

But not in the city, right? I think if it's a typical day and you're not going to be leaving the city then it's ok to leave the UMC at home. I don't see the need to buy two UMCs. If I was going to do that, I'd rather get the HPC for the looks and keep the UMC in the car.

If you are handy with fabrication, and electrical work, you can build your own 75A J-1772 OpenEVSE for home use, will cost roughly $600 which is less than the $1,200 Tesla is asking for the HPC for the Model S. .. you will have to use the Tesla provided J-1772 to Model S adapter of course.

The most expensive part is the ITT 20' 75A J-1772 cable at $328, the 75A contactor can be found for $120, the rest of the parts are not too expensive..

OpenEVSE 75A example:
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/EVSE_Example75A

75A contactor $120:
SuperBreakers.netSquare D

Tucson EV has a Chinese import 75A J-1772 cables for $250 + shipping (ITTs are $328 for 20' 75A cable)
J1772 Adapter

Mitch

Where I live, even in the city you are not going to find a j1772 (to the best of my knowledge, there is only 1 publicly available EVSE within the city limits in Cincinnati, at a pizza shop that uses a volt for a delivery vehicle)

What I would really like is an inexpensive level 1 charger that would be able to serve as an emergency charger to keep in the car, something that I could use in a pinch to plug into a 120v outlet (The only type I am likely to find in my city) and get a few miles of charger to get me out of a tight spot. If I had that, I would not feel the need to buy a second UMC.

Where I live, even in the city you are not going to find a j1772 (to the best of my knowledge, there is only 1 publicly available EVSE within the city limits in Cincinnati, at a pizza shop that uses a volt for a delivery vehicle)

What I would really like is an inexpensive level 1 charger that would be able to serve as an emergency charger to keep in the car, something that I could use in a pinch to plug into a 120v outlet (The only type I am likely to find in my city) and get a few miles of charger to get me out of a tight spot. If I had that, I would not feel the need to buy a second UMC.

Looks like there are 2 J1772 chargers in Cincinnati on Recargo but you're right, not much. What pack are you getting? Hopefully they do come out with a cheap standalone 110V cable like the Roadster ($600 isn't cheap though) so you don't have to carry the UMC around for emergencies. With the bigger packs and even the 40 kWh you'll probably find your range is so great that you won't need any cable. It does depend on how much you drive in a normal day of course. I don't even come close to using half my range in a normal day but do have the backup 110V cable in my car (have never used it in town, only when traveling once).

Looks like there are 2 J1772 chargers in Cincinnati on Recargo but you're right, not much. What pack are you getting? Hopefully they do come out with a cheap standalone 110V cable like the Roadster ($600 isn't cheap though) so you don't have to carry the UMC around for emergencies. With the bigger packs and even the 40 kWh you'll probably find your range is so great that you won't need any cable. It does depend on how much you drive in a normal day of course. I don't even come close to using half my range in a normal day but do have the backup 110V cable in my car (have never used it in town, only when traveling once).

One of the two chargers is restricted access, and will not allow the public to charge (a shame too, because it is in a GREAT location, within walking distance of many downtown attractions). I was planning on getting the 40kWh pack, but the more I think about it, I think I am going to end up with the 60. It will be very rare for me to charge anyplace but home, but since I know I will not find a public charger if I get into trouble, I feel the need to keep something in the car "just in case".

A $200-$300 price point on a level 1 charger would be perfect. I have actually been thinking about just getting a volt level 1 charger (I think they are only around $350) and using the j1772 adapter with it. It would be a slightly clumsy solution, but might work. I would want to find someone with a volt willing to let me try it first before I buy one. Hopefully Tesla will offer something more streamlined for those of us who want to keep a "spare tire" charger in the car.