Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Mobile Charger Capable of 40A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's wrong with the adapter from Tesla? 19.2kW...that's 80A at 240V.

And I'm an idiot. You're not looking for an adapter, are you?
Naw, haha.

Basically, I want a mobile/portable charger for 40A. J1772 would be preferred for future proofing. When road tripping around California, I've been doing "pit stops" at my parent's house to take care of stuff. It would be nice to get a full 40A instead of 32A.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The Gen3 version of the Mobile Connector:

is limited to 32A. The Corded Mobile Connector with a fixed 14-50 plug will charge at 40A:

I'm looking for a J1772 portable charger that is capable of 40A. What are my options? The only thing i can find is this:
From some of the responses, it sounds odd, like maybe this was edited or moved from a different thread.

But if this is what you're looking for: 40A portable EVSE with J1772 handle, yes, they are a little rare, but I've found a few. The site EVSEAdapters.com sells quite a lot of EV equipment, and they have a few of these:

From some of the responses, it sounds odd, like maybe this was edited or moved from a different thread.

But if this is what you're looking for: 40A portable EVSE with J1772 handle, yes, they are a little rare, but I've found a few. The site EVSEAdapters.com sells quite a lot of EV equipment, and they have a few of these:

Thanks! I should have checked evseadapters: I spent too much money on them buying extension cords so I can charge at Airbnb's. ZenCar looks kinda neat.

"Pigtail from plug to box is 10 gauge rated for 30A. Should be 8 gauge for the 32A output I charge at. When charging at 32A the metal on plug reached temperature of 147 F. No over heating at 24A OR LOWER. Emailed for support and received no answer. This is China made charger. Had electrician check circuit twice and car inspected by dealer. All okay. Sent zencar level 2-32A charger back to Amazon and was charged for restocking. Good charger if you don't charge on 32A. Purchased American made charge that works great but cost $300 more than zencar level 2 charger. I will regain the extra money because can claim on taxes for 26 per cent rebate and $125 back from Electric company."

Doh :( I'll be charging at 40A with this.

Naw, haha.

Basically, I want a mobile/portable charger for 40A. J1772 would be preferred for future proofing. When road tripping around California, I've been doing "pit stops" at my parent's house to take care of stuff. It would be nice to get a full 40A instead of 32A.
Would be "nice" or a "requirement"?

Of course more is always better, and if money is no object, then I suppose go for it. But before investing a good chunk of change, make sure this is something that's actually necessary.

If it were me, I'd be content with charging at 32A with the mobile connector and save the $700 or so that the 40A unit would cost. In fact my home charger only does 30A. The extra 10 miles of range per hour I would get from the 40A unit just wouldn't seem worth it under normal circumstances. Not to mention the fact that I don't even know anyone (other than myself) that has a NEMA 14-50 outlet accessible from anywhere I could park my car. I'm usually satisfied with a simple 120V outlet, and hoping to possibly charge with a Quick220 type device for 12A charging!

Reactions: APotatoGod
Look for a Gen 1 Tesla UMC on eBay for the earlier Model S and X. They can do a full 40 amps compared to the Gen 2 UMC at 32 amps max. The adapters for various plug types are different between the two though. So if you only want to carry one UMC, you may need to buy a second set of adapters as needed.

Reactions: wornout
Naw, haha.

Advanced Series - 48A/40A - Indoor/Outdoor generally get installed as wall mounted system, but the box is small enough to be portable. I have one of these hard-wired in the garage and have been charging my Model 3 at 40 amps with it.

I think JuiceBox, WattZilla, and maybe a few other vendors also sell similar systems.

Reactions: wornout
I would avoid random no-name EVSEs. Can't elaborate more right now. Day job takes precendnce. See below.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/att..._iwc_-_evse_safety_analysis-et-1-1-pdf.51197/ which relates to MUSTART CHARGERS DAMAGING CARS.
Sorry. Still busy. My 2 cents are at
Charge Port Meltdown
Another “Which L2 Charger Should I Buy” Thread (ok, ok....

I've posted something much more elaborate elsewhere but I may wish to make edits before reposting it here.

Would be "nice" or a "requirement"?

Of course more is always better, and if money is no object, then I suppose go for it. But before investing a good chunk of change, make sure this is something that's actually necessary.

If it were me, I'd be content with charging at 32A with the mobile connector and save the $700 or so that the 40A unit would cost. In fact my home charger only does 30A. The extra 10 miles of range per hour I would get from the 40A unit just wouldn't seem worth it under normal circumstances. Not to mention the fact that I don't even know anyone (other than myself) that has a NEMA 14-50 outlet accessible from anywhere I could park my car. I'm usually satisfied with a simple 120V outlet, and hoping to possibly charge with a Quick220 type device for 12A charging!
Since I already have the Tesla 32A Mobile Charger, 40A would be a requirement. I currently live in San Jose. Typically, I'd agree with you: 32A is enough at my home and local drive. However, when I arrive or leave (or stop by) my parent's house in Los Angeles, I can use all the charging speed I can get.

I was eyeing the Clipper Creek stuff. I'd likely get their dual charger for my home (San Jose) in the future to accommodate my girlfriend's future plug-in Hybrid. However, I want something more "portable" at my parent's house.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Look for a Gen 1 Tesla UMC on eBay for the earlier Model S and X. They can do a full 40 amps compared to the Gen 2 UMC at 32 amps max. The adapters for various plug types are different between the two though. So if you only want to carry one UMC, you may need to buy a second set of adapters as needed.
Yep. I setup SMS notification on the Tesla Store for the 40A UMC. It's a steal for $200. Anything "quality" is way over $200.

I just want to keep my options open in case there is a quality 40A portable/travel J1772 charger.