Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Jan 2023 ODs] MYLR / Blue / White - Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confused on how there can be inventory of this spec when there are people still without VIN?
Best guess is that these are vehicles that people cancelled their orders on. My personal speculation based on observations is that these cancellations occurred after they left the factory. Someone else made the observation that the Lyndhurst SC is very close to a railroad hub. I suspect that a lot of the orders heading to the northeastern US transfer to trucks at this hub. Tesla could probably figure out how to reallocate these cars to people waiting for their orders, but it takes time, and the trucks already have loads planned out. It's cheaper for them to just put them into inventory and let us poor plebians fight over them. It's a no-lose proposition for them: they save the cost of transporting the cars by truck, and deliver the cars sooner. The people I feel sorry for are the staff at the Lyndhurst SC, who are getting slammed. The SA I talked to said they're delivering up to 30 cars per day there.

Reactions: nono_thankyou
I think Tesla technology/Innovation is top notch but their logistics are f*cked. How can the above happens and how can one placed their orders on 1/13/2023 still waiting and yet some people placed their orders way after got theirs already???

Disagree that their "logistics are f'd". Lots of variables to be taken into consideration. Some often overlooked include state lines, region allotments, and/or finding a transporter who'll accept a "reasonable" fee" (most rarely agree to Tesla's offer).

I saw my spec'd MYLR available in another state 2 days after I ordered mine. Called my local SA who said it would a month if and when they found a transporter. Plus I'd have to register and pay property tax in the state it was located, THEN do the same in my own. Wasn't worth the hassle. Not worth upwards of $5K.

Fortunately, Tesla provides comps that you can choose from via your account. Might not be "exact", but you can still get into a car without the stress of waiting.

Very good info thanks. In your opinion what is the slowest configuration? I have the opposite problem I want to lock down pricing until may or june.
Blue 19” seems to have fewer inventory. Let
Very good info thanks. In your opinion what is the slowest configuration? I have the opposite problem I want to lock down pricing until may or june.
Looks like Red, 21”, premium interior, and 7 seat are the numerically fewest, but that isn’t exactly what you asked. You asked about delivery speed, correct? Tesla is known to have historically prioritized higher margin vehicles, so I can’t make predictions about their production schedule based on option quantity data. If I had to guess, I’d say either Blue or Red base model would take the longest. Paint, interior, and 5/7 seat all affect production but are also high margin. Tire size should matter little from a production standpoint so 19” would be the lowest margin option. All just theory though, and the plant manager could decide to make a whole run of Reds tomorrow and ruin any guesswork I did. One trick you can try that has a high degree of success would be to change your ordered configuration after you order it. Start with Blue then change to red, then later change to 7 seat, then change interior, etc. Not sure how long you can keep that up before you get a WTF text from 510, but it may be worth a shot. Never tried it.

Reactions: vet757
someone talk me down from being anxious that HW4 in the model y could be right around the corner after these leaks. if it's a year away or so I'll feel better about buying now.
I think there are two possibilities:
1. Elon just started talking about HW4, so it is likely right around the corner in Elon time. In other words, around a year away in the real world.
2. They are already putting it in my new cars and will announce it on Investor Day on March 1. They won't announce it until it is already in cars because they don't want people to refuse delivery waiting on it.

If there are camera location changes, they will likely have to temporarily shut down manufacturing to implement the changes. Don't think that will happen as long as demand is through the roof.

I should mention that the twitter feed from waitingfortesla issues new inventory 6+ times a day, in batches. You can’t just check the inventory page on Tesla’s web site periodically if you are trying to jump the line, you have to act immediately. Almost all inventory in each batch is gone within minutes. You have about 60 seconds to decide and send the link to the inventory vehicle you want to the 510 number or someone else will beat you to it And you’ll get “sorry that vehicle is no longer available” in reply. Best to pre-decide your must have options and jump on a match instantly.

Reactions: vet757 and Phydeaux
I should mention that the twitter feed from waitingfortesla issues new inventory 6+ times a day, in batches. You can’t just check the inventory page on Tesla’s web site periodically if you are trying to jump the line, you have to act immediately. Almost all inventory in each batch is gone within minutes. You have about 60 seconds to decide and send the link to the inventory vehicle you want to the 510 number or someone else will beat you to it And you’ll get “sorry that vehicle is no longer available” in reply. Best to pre-decide your must have options and jump on a match instantly.
I should add that the waitingfortesla.com website updates much more often than the Twitter feed. Just for grins, I refreshed it once a minute to see how often it updates and my one-time test came up with four minutes. I also noticed that the six blue/white MYLRs listed this morning are all gone. Congrats to anyone who picked one up.

For anyone looking for an inventory car in California:
Screenshot 2023-02-16 2.33.22 PM.png

Reactions: vet757