Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the lowering links today. I went with 5 mm drop all around on the links, thinking that medium height might end up about a half inch lower than what was previously low.

I don't know how I sucked so bad at installing them, but the first one was brutal. Eventually figured out the wire spring inside the ball cup was bent out of it's channel, making it impossible to put over the suspension ball. Once I was able to get that back into place, it went better. I took all the tires off to get more room. Also, those rear tires are damn heavy. I looked it up after... 66 lbs each for the wheel and tire!

Anyway, driving on normal height, I still feel like the vibration is there. I can't really be sure if there was an improvement or not. It's pretty subtle, though. I'll try low tomorrow.

So, I'm not sure if it solved it.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
I installed the lowering links today. I went with 5 mm drop all around on the links, thinking that medium height might end up about a half inch lower than what was previously low.

I don't know how I sucked so bad at installing them, but the first one was brutal. Eventually figured out the wire spring inside the ball cup was bent out of it's channel, making it impossible to put over the suspension ball. Once I was able to get that back into place, it went better. I took all the tires off to get more room. Also, those rear tires are damn heavy. I looked it up after... 66 lbs each for the wheel and tire!

Anyway, driving on normal height, I still feel like the vibration is there. I can't really be sure if there was an improvement or not. It's pretty subtle, though. I'll try low tomorrow.

First, tell us that the vibration returned after your shafts were replaced. Next, what effect the 1/2” drop had on it, if any. Pictures of the drop?

First, tell us that the vibration returned after your shafts were replaced. Next, what effect the 1/2” drop had on it, if any. Pictures of the drop?
Please also measure from ground to high point on Tempe well wheel in low. Should be just under 28”. Yeah, the 21” wheels and tires weigh a ton. My 19” SV104 wheels are 20 lbs each, plus tires. I think the 21” stockers alone are something like 38 lbs.

I slid the wire in after placing it on the ball…

Reactions: jebinc
Did everyone throw in the towel?
The only experimentation left is for someone to temporarily add a strut running from the bottom of the DU to the frame. :eek: Check the one Munro video on the front suspension and steering unit frame removal and see where they are looking at the driver's side drive shaft from under the Plaid. You will see the bottom of the DU has a boss with a hole in it that could be a good attachment point for a strut. One needs to have a friend with a lift, that would be nice. Install the strut and start out all bias to rear then gradually move to front.
One should not have to do this to their $140K car but, I wish I had a car to experiment with or at least look at.
My EDD is 4/5 to 5/3

Reactions: jebinc
Click on suspension, then show more details. It shows a graph of the suspension in real time. You might be able to have a passenger shoot a picture of the graph after it happens.
OK. I will try that tomorrow. Is this the "graph" to which you are referring? If so, I will have it photographed after an even. This photo was taken sitting in the garage. I really don't know what it means.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 84
@n2mb_racing Any update on this?
@jebinc I tried again today with the car on low. I'm pretty convinced that the vibration is better, but can't say it is gone completely. I haven't been able to get to any super smooth roads with the right speed range to really test it. I realized that when I was testing yesterday in track mode it was on low. The vibration might actually be worse when using track mode with front torque bias vs normal driving. Or it could be the stiffer damping couples more of the vibration into the steering. It was a bit hard to tell, especially since when I first go into track mode the HVAC pump causes a fair amount of additional vibration.

So yeah, not conclusive yet. Probably better. Probably good enough for me to be able to ignore it until (if) Tesla comes out with a real solution.

@jebinc I tried again today with the car on low. I'm pretty convinced that the vibration is better, but can't say it is gone completely. I haven't been able to get to any super smooth roads with the right speed range to really test it. I realized that when I was testing yesterday in track mode it was on low. The vibration might actually be worse when using track mode with front torque bias vs normal driving. Or it could be the stiffer damping couples more of the vibration into the steering. It was a bit hard to tell, especially since when I first go into track mode the HVAC pump causes a fair amount of additional vibration.

So yeah, not conclusive yet. Probably better. Probably good enough for me to be able to ignore it until (if) Tesla comes out with a real solution.
@n2mb_racing Can you please post your measurements front and rear with the car on low? Looking to compare, for the sake of science.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
Yep, ordered a M3P on 2/25 and dumping the Plaid.

I just came from a Model 3 performance. Can't beat the performance value per dollar. Track mode and handling are great. And also resale value. I sold mine for $3k less than I paid for it, 3 years after I bought it.

But, it definitely doesn't have the raw brute power that the Plaid does...

With rear bias or front bias or both?
I carefully studied the topic, began to experiment, in the 50/50 track mode there is no vibration at all. My car vibrates from the start, I really don't like it. Today I have replaced the right shaft 1420113-00-b. For information: the right and left half-shafts on our plaid come from the Model X Raven. The vibration is completely gone. What conclusions can I draw: there is a mechanical problem, a problem with the half-shafts, the shaft gets damaged, after which the plaid starts to vibrate. solution to issue 2, modify the half-shafts, or modify the software by reducing the torque at the software level at those speeds in which there is vibration.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne