Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you try track mode with rear bias? I found the vibration disappeared with it biased to rear.
Replacing my half shafts eliminated the vibration, but I'll acknowledge that it could have been something else that was adjusted during the service.
Yep. 100% disappears at that point. I tend to think it’s front motor related to some degree. But I also admit I have no idea.

Reactions: MobileClimate
By now the only thing I can do is call Tesla sales, identify myself by my reservation number and tell them I am considering the cancelling of my order If I cant find information on the progress Tesla has made on the resolution of this vibration problem. I will ask them for phone numbers of management at Tesla head quarters, tech department, whoever!! I want to know the contact info for the manufacturer of these shafts for Tesla and talk to them too.
Tesla's response to their customers with this issue so far is a disgrace, telling anyone with the problem that this "is normal", "does not effect drivability", does not effect safety"... The one thing they leave out though is, "does effect the customer"..

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
3/5/22 Update:

Well, dropped off my vibrating plaid at the SC yesterday because of a slew of electrical errors being randomly thrown, a busted for the third time door handle, misaligned headlights, recall items, and….. more D&R of the vibration matter. I was given a P100D as a loaner and the car is expected to be in the shop for days as they troubleshoot the electrical fault. Since the poor loaner seems neglected, I gave it a quick whore’s bath.
1498A5AA-7687-47FA-B9F9-AAE57CA7E170.jpeg
They suspect it’s the PCS (Power Conversion System), aka, “the D to D converter” to be at the root of the electrical issues.

3/5/22 Update:

Well, dropped off my vibrating plaid at the SC yesterday because of a slew of electrical errors being randomly thrown, a busted for the third time door handle, misaligned headlights, recall items, and….. more D&R of the vibration matter. I was given a P100D as a loaner and the car is expected to be in the shop for days as they troubleshoot the electrical fault. Since the poor loaner seems neglected, I gave it a quick whore’s bath. View attachment 777199 They suspect it’s the PCS (Power Conversion System), aka, “the D to D converter” to be at the root of the electrical issues.
I am hoping that vibrations over time are not setting you up for more issues of various sorts later on. I am sure these cars were designed to take road vibrations but can it take the intensity delivered by the shafts?

Reactions: jebinc
3/5/22 Update:

Well, dropped off my vibrating plaid at the SC yesterday because of a slew of electrical errors being randomly thrown, a busted for the third time door handle, misaligned headlights, recall items, and….. more D&R of the vibration matter. I was given a P100D as a loaner and the car is expected to be in the shop for days as they troubleshoot the electrical fault. Since the poor loaner seems neglected, I gave it a quick whore’s bath. View attachment 777199 They suspect it’s the PCS (Power Conversion System), aka, “the D to D converter” to be at the root of the electrical issues.
Are you having charging issues?

This may be a new topic: 2022 Model S Front Suspension Damping. The car has the active suspension. At any setting, the car has a vibration "ring" when hitting lane markers at 45 mph. It lasts for about one second, starting strong, then declining....a classic ringing situation. Started at about 1100 miles. Easily repeated. Anyone encountered this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.19.07 PM.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 74
This may be a new topic: 2022 Model S Front Suspension Damping. The car has the active suspension. At any setting, the car has a vibration "ring" when hitting lane markers at 45 mph. It lasts for about one second, starting strong, then declining....a classic ringing situation. Started at about 1100 miles. Easily repeated. Anyone encountered this?
Haven't felt that. Can you capture it on the suspension graph?

Reactions: Ed Hart
I am convinced that if the outputs of the differential are not held more solid, the orbital movement will cause vibration. CV joints are designed to maintain a constant velocity between halves of the joint to a point, until the angle of the joint is changed. Gradually, with an increase in angle and under power or resistance, the velocities in any joint will separate to the point that the differential, or driver, will be forced to compensate by orbiting around the centerline of rotation. One would be amazed of how little distance from centerline it would take to shake your teeth out. I am thinking that the way everything is mounted in rubber, far above the centerline of output of force, is what allows this movement. These forces will always be present as it is basic physics. At one end of the drive shaft the wheel is well supported and in firm contact with the road. At the other end the output of forces (or input during regeneration), is the motor / differential mounted in rubber. Which end do you think is vibrating? I propose that Tesla needs an additional rubber mount at the very bottom of the differential housing just behind the steering rack. Obviously, this requires a new housing and a place on the frame to mount to.. Lots of redesign and probably why they don't have a "solution".