Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda USB Hub Vs. Taptes USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sanded the top edge of the hub down a little bit and the issue I was having is gone now. It was hitting the plastic piece that sticks out above the front USB ports.
PTr4dbn.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7

I did some charging speed testing between these two this weekend and found some more differences and a pretty significant bug on the TAPTES.

TLDW:
TAPTES was ~9W + ~9W on the two USB-A power ports
Jeda was ~8.5W + ~6.5W on the two USB-A ports

Things got really interesting when I connected a third charging device on the USB-C ports. On the Jeda, charging speeds reduced even more, but on the TAPTES it caused everything on the right side to start flashing on and off and for TeslaCam to stop working. Since the TAPTES doesn't have any intelligence inside it just lets the devices overload the right USB port!

Thankfully, the port seems to be smart enough to protect itself, but I'm not pushing it. That could easily damage it. I recommend anyone with the TAPTES just cover up that USB-C port with tape and don't use it.

Forgive my resurrecting this older thread and the newb question that I'm about to ask but...

I've just ordered my M3 LR AWD and have started looking at what accessories I need to buy. I know that the 2020 M3 as of June is now coming with Tesla's wireless charging pad and USB C connections. Will the Taptes and/or Jeda hub still work with these changes or do I have to find some other solution for my Sentry SSD and music drive?

Forgive my resurrecting this older thread and the newb question that I'm about to ask but...

I've just ordered my M3 LR AWD and have started looking at what accessories I need to buy. I know that the 2020 M3 as of June is now coming with Tesla's wireless charging pad and USB C connections. Will the Taptes and/or Jeda hub still work with these changes or do I have to find some other solution for my Sentry SSD and music drive?

My understanding is that the wireless chargers connect to the ports via cables. If that's the case, whichever hub you choose would plug into the car and the wireless chargers would plug into the hub's external ports. An SSD will still use a hub's internal port.

Keep in mind that a hub's external ports may route to the same USB port on the car. So make sure that the external hub ports you choose go to different ports on the car.

When ordering one of these hubs, keep in mind that Model 3's were delivered with two USB type-A plugs. More recent cars (I'm not sure when the exact change over date was) ship with one USB Type-A plug, and one USB Type-C plug. A hub that has two Type-A plugs will not work on cars that have a Type-A and a Type-C.

As of the time of this post, both of the Taptes hubs are still shipping with two Type-A plugs. I don't know about Jeda.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
View attachment 504978

I'll start by saying that I'm not going into any comment regarding Taptes copying Jeda on a USB Hub. My intent is to try and keep this as factual as possible on the products themselves. However, while I believe this thread will fill with personal beliefs on the subject, please keep it respectful.

First Impressions

View attachment 504982
View attachment 504987

Jeda: Packaging of the Jeda hub is very Apple-esque. Materials were purpose picked and tolerances are tight. The cover slides off with a delay to instill a sense of anticipation. Instructions are printed on the top cover. They are clean, simple, and to the point.

Taptes: In contrast, the packaging is budget minded. While not intended to invoke thoughts of luxury, it is clean and functions well. Instructions are included as a pamphlet and contain information typically found in any given product; package contents, specs, and instructions.

Hub itself

View attachment 504990
View attachment 504991 View attachment 504993 View attachment 504996

Jeda: Similar to the packaging, a lot of thought went into designing the hub. It feels solid in the hand, there is a rubberized coating on all surfaces visible when installed (not including the cover), and a rubber pad on the inside of the hub. Using a Samsung T5 SSD as a test subject, the Jeda hub's internal magnets are stronger and the SSD feels more secure. The back side of the cover also looks more refined; it has a uniform surface with professional looking product information.

Taptes: While not as solid as the Jeda hub, the Taptes hub doesn't scream cheap. It is build reasonably well and has a rubberized surface on most exposed surfaces; there is a small strip on the top of the body with exposed plastic. The back side of the cover has molding marks and exposed magnets. Where the Taptes hub excels is the cover has a rubberized coating that matches the rest of the body and the tolerances are tighter around the edge. The Taptes internal compartment is significantly larger.

Installation and Function

View attachment 505003
View attachment 505001

Jeda: Once installed, the Jeda hub feels very secure. Plugging in and removing an Xbox controller was no problem. Not having text above the ports seems inline with Tesla's minimalism design. The USB-A ports both are data-capable; USB-C ports were untested. Both USB-A ports worked when using an Xbox controller to play Beach Buggy Racing.

Taptes: Install was similar to the Jeda hub. When trying to remove an Xbox controller, the hub tend to pull away from the center console. I found myself having to secure the hub to the console while pulling the controller plug out. As the text above the ports suggest, only the "Data+Power" port worked with an Xbox controller and Beach Buggy Racing; the game didn't react to the controller in the USB-A "Power" ports.

Value

At the time of this post, the Jeda hub is $79. Shipping to CA and tax brings the grand total to $95.12. The Taptes hub is $24.99; free shipping and no tax. Comparing the delivered prices, the Jeda hub is almost 4x the price of the Taptes hub. Is the Jeda hub 4x the value? That's for each person to decide.

Personally speaking, the Jeda's fit/finish, lack of text above the ports, and ability to use 2 controllers with games makes the hub a better option (I have 2 young kids). That said, there still is a feeling the price is seriously excessive. Had the ordering experience been better (41 days from order to delivery and very poor communication on delays), the inflated price would have been easier to stomach.

For a more cost-conscious consumer, the Taptes hub is a very good product delivering most of the Jeda's experience. While the quality-in-hand is less than that of the Jeda hub, once installed, it has a good look and decent feel. If it wasn't for the inability to use 2 controllers for games, I would have to lean towards the Taptes hub.

What's important is the internals. Do they put power protection/power regulars on the board? You know you can buy an Apple power charger for $60 or buy one for $5 that looks similar on the outside. The $5 one might fry your phone.

When ordering one of these hubs, keep in mind that Model 3's were delivered with two USB type-A plugs. More recent cars (I'm not sure when the exact change over date was) ship with one USB Type-A plug, and one USB Type-C plug. A hub that has two Type-A plugs will not work on cars that have a Type-A and a Type-C.

As of the time of this post, both of the Taptes hubs are still shipping with two Type-A plugs. I don't know about Jeda.

Jeda have the USB-C and USB-A ones now. I have the newest one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bbk3e and Phlier
Honestly the main reason I went with the Taptes honestly wasn’t just the price, but rather all of the poor Jeda customer service posts here, on Reddit and the other Tesla forum. Yes, there are also a few posts about poor experiences with Taptes, too, but there are far more complaints about Jeda.

Guess I’ll find out if it was worth saving a few bucks or not.