Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeep backed into my car and now the rear hatch is not flush, repair shop says it wasn't the jeep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A jeep backed into my 2022 Model S, damaging the bumper but also making an impact on the rear hatch door (right side of the license plate). The black bar that connects the taillights is now loose on the right side which tells me something shifted, causing the bar to disconnect from the panel it was adhered to. I also noticed that the edge of the right side hatch door is no longer flush with the adjacent body panel. When I took my vehicle to a reputable tesla repair shop (Fix Auto El Monte) the estimator told me that my car came with the misaligned panels and there is nothing he can do to realign it because the hatch is made of aluminum. It's just bad Tesla building quality. I've attached some photos to compare the left side and right side of the hatch door. I want to call shenanigans on what he's telling me but wanted confirmation first. Let me know what ya'll think.

IMG_4504.jpg
IMG_4505.jpg

A jeep backed into my 2022 Model S, damaging the bumper but also making an impact on the rear hatch door (right side of the license plate). The black bar that connects the taillights is now loose on the right side which tells me something shifted, causing the bar to disconnect from the panel it was adhered to. I also noticed that the edge of the right side hatch door is no longer flush with the adjacent body panel. When I took my vehicle to a reputable tesla repair shop (Fix Auto El Monte) the estimator told me that my car came with the misaligned panels and there is nothing he can do to realign it because the hatch is made of aluminum. It's just bad Tesla building quality. I've attached some photos to compare the left side and right side of the hatch door. I want to call shenanigans on what he's telling me but wanted confirmation first. Let me know what ya'll think.

View attachment 798259View attachment 798260
Can you show overall picture of the impact areas? If hatch was hit on right side it seems obvious it could misalign the panel fit. And you clearly need to find a better shop that will do the work whatever it takes. Your insurance should represent your interest.

Both my Plaid and LR had this exact issue on the rear right quarter panel where it meets the trunk lid. The left side quarter is bowed out as well but to a lesser extent.

I feel like it is an issue with the mold used to make this quarter panel.

Reactions: Jayy178
FYI I had my car checked out by SC and they said it is "within spec". I didn't buy it, but then when I saw 2 other refresh S vehicles in the lot, they had the exact same issue lol.
It should not matter if it is "within spec". What should matter is whether or not yours looked like that before the incident. If yours was a perfect fit then that is what you should get back when they body shop is done.