Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JFF Poll - Model 3 Lease End Purchase

Will Tesla end up offering 2019 Model 3 purchase to leasholders at lease end ?

• Yes - I think they have unrealistic "Robo taxi" timeline and/or residual car values

• No way - they will be flooding the streets with robo taxis in 3 years

• Who cares, you are an idiot to lease, I don't understand leases, Tesla will be bankrupt, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just for fun and discussion.

FYI - I leased my Models 3 and have leased my business cars for decades. I don't think I really care how it plays out since I have never purchased a car at the end of lease but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

And I voted "Yes" :D

I would be annoyed if they did. I would have preferred to lease and buy out for tax reasons, but I went with a loan since I knew I wanted to keep the car.

I don't see how they will have a viable "robo taxi" platform in just 3 years. I have no idea how many are being leased, but even we we look at somewhat conservative round numbers as a SWAG:

5000/week. 2% leased = 100. 100 x 52 = 5200/year.
Average sales price $45,000.
Residual value 60% = average residual value $27,000
5200 * $27,000 = $140.4 Million dollar per year "robo taxi" fleet building.

I just don't see it. Robo taxis in the future - sure. In 3 years - I don't think so.

Did Elon say that they would be putting them into a robotaxi fleet immediately after the lease is over? Or just that they will be used for a robo taxi fleet. There's nothing really stopping them from just storing them until the robotaxi technology is ready.

Did Elon say that they would be putting them into a robotaxi fleet immediately after the lease is over? Or just that they will be used for a robo taxi fleet. There's nothing really stopping them from just storing them until the robotaxi technology is ready.

Parking them makes little sense.

On the other hand it might make sense for them to:

A) Use some as loaners since they'll keep expanding # of service centers
and
B) Add FSD and sell em at a higher price than they'd otherwise go for since it costs Tesla $0 marginally to add FSD.

Bonus to B- AWD trade ins could also be flashed to P3D- cars for a couple grand more value on selling em used.

Added bonus- if they keep RWD LRs off the market going forward any of those coming back from lease might also be popular for resale.

They’d rather take them back and resell as CPO with warranty and all options unlocked. Tesla wants to keep a tight grip on the secondary market as well.

Selling the car to you at the residual value is a lost opportunity for additional revenue.