Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jim Cramer reacts to Elon's performance on the Q1 2018 Earnings Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the philosophy displayed during the earning call is: Tesla cult members are welcome but day traders/hedge funds/speculators are not!

Cult members would support Tesla during bad times but others would jump ship as soon as they hear anything bad.

Thanks for sharing the link OP!
As for the question about M3 reservation conversions, it really is a dumb question when the earnings letter states the amount held as reservation deposits and every M3 is sold immediately to a holder. It was a trap question, every answer would be spun negatively, so Elon did what only he has the balls to do.

I tell everyone. Remember we bought Apple stock. An Apple IIe. Look where Apple is now. Steve was a visionary.
Elon is a visionary just like Steve was.
Buy a Tesla, laugh at years end. Buy the stock if you dont care about ROI.
In 10 years see where are.
You do realize if the evil empire in Seattle hadn't stepped up Apple would probably be a distant memory. Hopefully Tesla won't need such a Hail Mary.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and Eclectic
I tell everyone. Remember we bought Apple stock. An Apple IIe. Look where Apple is now. Steve was a visionary.
Elon is a visionary just like Steve was.
Buy a Tesla, laugh at years end. Buy the stock if you dont care about ROI.
In 10 years see where are.

I still own some AAPL at $17.50. Before the 7:1 split. People tend to forget that split when looking at the GOOGs and AMAZ of the world.

Had a post it note to load up with TSLA at $24. Should have used a bigger post it note.

• Funny
Reactions: ktrivedi70
Sounds like the philosophy displayed during the earning call is: Tesla cult members are welcome but day traders/hedge funds/speculators are not!

Cult members would support Tesla during bad times but others would jump ship as soon as they hear anything bad.

Elon did answer questions from numerous mainstream analysts, just not the unnecessary questions already covered in the financials. I agree with Cramer on this. Elon did what a lot of CEO’s would like to do, but don’t.

...just not the unnecessary questions already covered in the financials...

The tension started when Tony from Bernstein asked about Model 3 25% gross margins and some timeline and factors such as 5,000 unit rate threshold which is about 6 to 9 months delay...

Deepak answered:

. Recent Tariffs
. Commodity increases
. Weak dollars
. More labor

But Elon said it would be solved so it's not like to make "some case out of it!"

That sounded it like Elon started to communicate a displeasure.

Tony then continued about what Tesla would take out to lower CapEx and how does that affect Model 3 battery and its production.

Deepak answered: Tesla would look at the problem and simplify it to reduce CapEx on Model 3. Infrastructure growth vs business growth. It's Tesla's discretion.

Tony then continued: Where specifically Tesla will be in terms of capital requirement?

That's the the last straw that breaks the camel's back as Elon said: "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next!"

And the next Wall Street Analyst didn't attract Elon's favor either.

Joseph from RBC asked about Model 3 purchase progress like what percentage have configured.

Elon answered that Sorry! "These questions are so dry. They're killing me." and he is now taking answer from YouTube.

I don't think those questions are inappropriate for day traders/hedge funds/speculators. They want to know as much as possible all those factors that affect short term movements so they can time their trades.

However, I believe Elon just doesn't appreciate their zeal to mine data from him in order to make a quick buck in the short term as he only values long term investors.

There seems to be many articles that are on the side of Wall Street and consider what Elon did as biting the hand that feeds him.

Elon Musk's Attack on Tesla Investors Could Make Him a Liability

That proves that they are not familiar with Elon Musk who said he started off on a shareholder letter by saying: "Profits are not our primary goal."

upload_2018-5-3_22-38-3.png

Money hunger Wall Street analysts want to see profits a long time ago in the past but that means as Elon explained:

"Say okay: Well, we're gonna stop developing your product and then you would be really profitable."

upload_2018-5-3_22-47-22.png

I think there's a clash between greedy Wall Street who want to verbally micro-manage Elon in order to pressure him turn a profit at all cost VS Elon adhering to Tesla’s mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Reactions: neroden
Elon explained why he cut off those above 2 Wall Street Analysts.

Many press coverage have mis-characterized those 2 Wall Street Analysts by glorifying them or think they are victims. They are not a benign hand that feeds Tesla. They are not investors.

As mentioned by @BioSehnsucht , They are TSLA short sellers!

upload_2018-5-4_8-36-40.png