Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

John Stossel and Fox News on AP in Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then came my accident! In a narrow tunnel, the car drifted left, and a tire banged against the side of the tunnel. If I hadn’t quickly grabbed the steering wheel, we would have crashed.
Was the computer-guided car unable to handle a narrow tunnel? No, it turned out the mistake, as usual, was human error -- my error. I had nervously touched the steering wheel when we entered the tunnel, and that disengaged the autopilot. The Tesla guy didn’t warn me. Or maybe he did, but I forgot.

I keep repeating that this is a problem. Hope Tesla is listening. There is a proposed countermeasure in my post history.

edit - and please no one quote the damn manual like the first comment in the link and all over TMC. Documentation is not a substitute for design.

I keep repeating that this is a problem. Hope Tesla is listening. There is a proposed countermeasure in my post history.

edit - and please no one quote the damn manual like the first comment in the link and all over TMC. Documentation is not a substitute for design.

I do agree that the alarm signaling the disengage should be louder. I have inadvertently disengaged it by grazing the brake.

I do agree that the alarm signaling the disengage should be louder. I have inadvertently disengaged it by grazing the brake.

IMHO doesn't matter what the sound is or how loud. If you disengage via steering input, you're already dedicating all your mental capacity to the task at hand (i.e. avoiding an accident) the sound will not register. You're left in a mental state where you don't remember you disabled it. Call it stupid human tricks or whatever you want, it's how magicians can do magic tricks on video and people STILL don't see what the trick was until it's explained.

TLDR: permanently disabling autosteer by steering input is bad human interface design.